Gransnet forums

News & politics

Kunsberg Truss interview

(35 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 02-Oct-22 09:08:05

Thought that she let Truss off lightly.

foxie48 Mon 03-Oct-22 14:38:22

So KK has made a U turn! 45% tax band stands and apparently LT didn't know about it until shortly before it was announced. Seems like the PM is trying to shift the blame.

62Granny Sun 02-Oct-22 17:41:38

My first thought on watching her was "didn't her mother tell her it is rude to point" ? second thought was " answer the bl***y question women" but as usual she didn't , I love the way she kept bringing it back to they capped the rise in fuel, no you didnt!! And to cap it all she blamed Kawsi for the tax cuts and more or less said she wasn't responsible for him or his actions before or after. He looked very pleased with himself going to a drinks do with the bankers I noticed?

foxie48 Sun 02-Oct-22 17:30:55

I think she'll throw KK under a bus, she needs a scapegoat. She was employed by the Reform right wing think tank before coming into politics as an MP and tbh I think she's a bit of a BJ in that she doesn't really have any under pinning ideology apart from what is best for Liz. Her "I will deliver" speeches were all aimed at getting votes from the old white male members of the C party and even then she didn't get a massive majority. She wasn't the MP's favourite, it's BJ all over again, only the hair has been changed and any sense of fun removed! Oh dear.

MaizieD Sun 02-Oct-22 17:19:55

But we know what happened to Macbeth...

Ashcombe Sun 02-Oct-22 17:08:43

Boz

If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well
It were done quickly;

Macbeth

Such an apt quotation, Boz! Thank you!

nadateturbe Sun 02-Oct-22 16:55:56

Politics isn't my subject at all, but I was interested to hear the interview.
LT kept repeating herself and waffled.
Laura had a difficult time but managed to ask some good questions. (Didn't ask about bankers bonuses) but unfortunately couldn't get answers.

Not reassuring at all.

Prentice Sun 02-Oct-22 16:46:07

There were technical faults on the programme today, which was annoying.
What I heard from Liz Truss was not the least bit reassuring.

annodomini Sun 02-Oct-22 16:17:00

I gather that the reason for the programmes's earlier than usual start was the London Marathon which, thankfully, doesn't happen every week. Because I like a lie-in (who doesn't?) and don't have a TV in my bedroom, I record the LK programme every week which means I can fast forward when a politician I can't stand comes on.

nadateturbe Sun 02-Oct-22 16:00:37

Thanks again Doodledog.

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 15:56:06

Threats:

Conservative MPs will lose the party whip if they vote against Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng's tax-cutting mini-budget, a senior Tory has said

Conservative Party Chairman Jake Berry told Sky News's Sophy Ridge on Sunday programme it was "nonsense" to claim that the government's tax cuts are helping the richest and said that Liz Truss has an "absolute mandate" from the 2019 election to carry out her new economic policy

Sky News

Boz Sun 02-Oct-22 15:12:49

If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well
It were done quickly;

Macbeth

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 15:07:16

Reading and listening to Tory MPs - I think she’s toast, but how they rid themselves of her - goodness knows

Doodledog Sun 02-Oct-22 14:03:57

nadateturbe

Thanks, Doodledog. I didn't know it was on iplayer.

Yes, but annoyingly not when still being broadcast so you can choose between seeing it live or from the beginning, which used to be the case, with Andrew Marr. If you wait till it's finished it goes up a little bit later.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 14:02:21

A bit off topic but interesting never-the less

Alexander Stubb Ex-Finland minister

We all knew #Brexit was a colossal mistake, but that it would lead to this scale of political and economic mayhem was beyond our wildest imagination.

Europe and the world needs the UK on so many fronts. Please get a grip and fix it. We need you back.

nadateturbe Sun 02-Oct-22 13:58:24

Thanks, Doodledog. I didn't know it was on iplayer.

Doodledog Sun 02-Oct-22 13:38:53

nadateturbe

I switched on at 9am. Didn't realise it started at 8.30am.
I too think Gove spoke better. And hate the finger pointing. She doesn't sound very competent.

I did the same and ended up waiting until it came on iPlayer. I agree about the finger-pointing too - it's so rude!

LizzieDrip Sun 02-Oct-22 13:34:44

Agree with all above. This is clearly a woman who has been promoted beyond her abilities. We’ve probably all seen the like during our working lives, and it’s not a pretty sight. The big difference here, of course, is that she’s been promoted to the top job in the country?

sodapop Sun 02-Oct-22 12:38:02

It's obvious Truss didn't realise the magnitude of the task in front of her. She is totally out of her depth.

Daisymae Sun 02-Oct-22 10:10:33

I would like to have seen her challenge the need for Bank of England intervention, IMF warning, cost of government borrowing all direct result of uncosted borrowing. I thought Gove's comments were interesting.

nadateturbe Sun 02-Oct-22 10:04:15

I switched on at 9am. Didn't realise it started at 8.30am.
I too think Gove spoke better. And hate the finger pointing. She doesn't sound very competent.

Riverwalk Sun 02-Oct-22 09:50:11

I noticed she snuck in that it was Kwarteng who came up with the 45% top rate tax cut!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 09:47:14

Gove putting in the boot. No surprise there.

Hinted that he wouldn’t vote for the budget.

I reckon Truss is going to have difficulty, unless she shuttles back. But I’m quite clear that this is only the beginning of her plans.

Aveline Sun 02-Oct-22 09:45:47

I wonder if Truss wakes in the small hours and thinks, 'Oh shit!!'

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 09:45:46

I know how she feels.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 09:43:49

Kuenssberg asked if she has a mandate for her complete volte face.

She obviously didn’t accept the premise of the question???