Gransnet forums

News & politics

First major U-turn

(116 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Oct-22 06:42:55

On 45p tax give-away.

Interesting. All Truss’s bluster came to nought.

First u-turn within the first week or so of government.

There will be others. I suspect their threatened further tax give-aways will be quickly buried.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 13:24:40

Well you’ve only named one that Johnson got rid of (ie didn’t give him a job). You mention two others who have decided to leave. That’s why I said it was a sweeping statement.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 13:28:59

He got rid of Soames too. I think there was more to Grieve than not giving him a job. Didn’t you he throw him out of the party? Soubry was on tv this morning ( I didn’t see it but DH told me about it) and said the only person she trusts to run the country is Starmer.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 13:33:06

Well she would say that wouldn’t she! Grieve also left of his own accord.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 13:39:49

Grieve had the whip removed. Unlike Braverman, when he was Attorney General he that believed in adhering to the law of the land. Not what Johnson wanted in his MP’s. He was a thoroughly decent MP and was treated badly by his party.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 15:14:25

MaizieD

Callistemon21

But Johnson got rid of the decent ones.
Some are still there, as I said sidelined or threatened with having the Whip removed

But if they remove the whip from too many the tories lose their majority...

I understand that sufficient MPs were rebelling so as to make that a distinct possibility.

Have you seen the post about hung parliament?

Yes.

But that is what the Chairman Jake Berry threatened a couple of days ago if they voted against Kwarteng's mini-Budget!

That is probably why they backtracked on the 45p tax rate - not because they were "listening" but because they were panicking the rest of it wouldn't go through and they would be made to look like incompetent idiots in the first weeks of power.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 09:48:51

Looks as if there will be a third u-turn.

UC to be risen in line with inflation.

The third coup

MaizieD Wed 05-Oct-22 10:27:46

Callistemon21

MaizieD

Callistemon21

But Johnson got rid of the decent ones.
Some are still there, as I said sidelined or threatened with having the Whip removed

But if they remove the whip from too many the tories lose their majority...

I understand that sufficient MPs were rebelling so as to make that a distinct possibility.

Have you seen the post about hung parliament?

Yes.

But that is what the Chairman Jake Berry threatened a couple of days ago if they voted against Kwarteng's mini-Budget!

That is probably why they backtracked on the 45p tax rate - not because they were "listening" but because they were panicking the rest of it wouldn't go through and they would be made to look like incompetent idiots in the first weeks of power.

They are panicking.

I don't think they'll get anything through that they want to. Truss doesn't have the support of her MPs.

Apparently (according to Gavin Barwell, MP, on twitter,) tory MPs have now been threatened with a General Election if they don't toe the line ???

Bring

It

On....

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Oct-22 10:30:25

?

Boz Wed 05-Oct-22 11:47:28

The Tories are fighting against the current zeitgeist. The Spirit of the Age is against them.
Why should a nonentity like Truss tell us what to do with the paltry endorsement she has from her own Party?
Why should the elderly, comfortably off, rule the roost?
Get real Jemina Cluster-fuck and eff orf.

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-22 13:34:08

Boz stop just automatically blaming the elderly comfortably off for all that is wrong wth the Conservative party. It just mental laziness and a faiure to understand the problem.

All the constituencies in the rust belt were not packed with the eldely and comfortably off, just to start with.

MaizieD Wed 05-Oct-22 13:37:41

M0nica

Boz stop just automatically blaming the elderly comfortably off for all that is wrong wth the Conservative party. It just mental laziness and a faiure to understand the problem.

All the constituencies in the rust belt were not packed with the eldely and comfortably off, just to start with.

But that is the tory membership's demographic, MOnica and they voted for her.

But 'the rust belt' ? shock

Have we been transported to the US already? wink

Boz Wed 05-Oct-22 13:54:07

I refer to the elevation of Liz Trust; only in power through a small vote - mainly the over 60's, white and male.
This is undemoncratic imo.
Then she starts to wallop the poor. Very bad optically if nothing else.

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Oct-22 13:54:56

Average age of Tory Party membership is estimated at 57.

It also found that all major parties have a similar average age, which is in the fifties.

fullfact.org/news/how-old-average-conservative-party-member/

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-22 16:49:30

I have more confidence in the Fullfacts figures than yours Boz

The problem is that younger people are not 'joiners'. Universities have far far fewer societies for freshers to join than 40 or 50 years ago, and all sorts of voluntary organisations are shrinking or folding for the same reason.

The average age of a Conservative supporter is probably much younger than the 57 suggested by Fullfacts, and it is not the only party with that problem, both labour and LibDems have decliningmemberships, even thoigh support for the party may be buoyant.

Since part of the problem with the selection of the last 2 leaders of both major political parties has been that the candidate the parliamentary party knows would be most effective as leader of the party in parliament and on the international stage, has lost out to someone else preferred by the party membership. Surely that aspect of the election needs to be ditched, to replace it with a system that takes into account Labour voter preferences and make the decision by MPs the final part of the process. The samething applies to the Conservatives.

Boz Wed 05-Oct-22 16:53:01

I agree Monica.