Gransnet forums

News & politics

THERE should not be a second independence referendum even if the Supreme Court deems it legal, Liz Truss has said.

(58 Posts)
Granny23 Tue 04-Oct-22 09:46:01

Her reasoning is the old chestnut that the 2014 referendum was deemed to be 'once in a generation'. Again we have to reiterate that this was a throwaway remark from Alex Salmond during the campaign rather than anything legally binding or recorded in the official documents. For me it was a 'first in a lifetime' opportunity to record my view.

In NI the position is that a vote on remaining in /leaving the UK can happen after 7 years. It has been 8 years since the Scottish vote.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 14:31:26

Them?

Independance?

OK.

BTW Urmstongran that's £3 each. How much has this latest government debacle cost us?

Urmstongran Thu 06-Oct-22 14:33:07

My view of Brexit differs from yours volver. I think it’s not about the UK being insular but trading more independently, say with Australia and Canada. i.e. ‘partake in the wider world’ most definitely.

On this issue we shall just have to agree to disagree.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 14:33:22

Ooohhh - just thought - isn't that about half the per capita annual cost of a Royal Family?

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 14:34:14

Urmstongran

My view of Brexit differs from yours volver. I think it’s not about the UK being insular but trading more independently, say with Australia and Canada. i.e. ‘partake in the wider world’ most definitely.

On this issue we shall just have to agree to disagree.

And independence isn't about trade.

But yes, we will never agree.

Urmstongran Thu 06-Oct-22 14:34:57

I suppose by that analogy the Brexit cost £2 per head!

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 14:35:40

Urmstongran

I suppose by that analogy the Brexit cost £2 per head!

Well, the referendum did....
Brexit itself now.... ?

Katie59 Thu 06-Oct-22 14:54:41

The Brexit campaign was about having your cake and eat it, we didn’t get it and as yet havn’t found an alternative. If Scotland does join the EEA they will be as independant as the EU allows, good luck with that.