Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rees Mogg & fracking attempting to evade scruitny

(76 Posts)
Daisymae Tue 04-Oct-22 16:52:44

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/04/jacob-rees-mogg-fracking-email-hse
Some wagg commented that they should start a go fund me page to get to Geological Society to identify Rees Moggs back garden as the ideal place to start fracking. In fact I believe that Somerset does have some possibilities. The article is really shocking.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 17:11:11

How many acres does his back garden cover I wonder? Anyway, Truss said that they will only do the fracking if there’s no local opposition so that’s ok then. She can’t possibly be lying can she?

Daisymae Tue 04-Oct-22 17:20:17

MayBee70

How many acres does his back garden cover I wonder? Anyway, Truss said that they will only do the fracking if there’s no local opposition so that’s ok then. She can’t possibly be lying can she?

Strikes me that they are going to do the background work so that no opposition is possible. They could then say that no one opposed. IYSWIM

Farzanah Tue 04-Oct-22 17:27:23

I don’t see how any amount of fracking, even in Mogg’s backyard will help our energy cost crisis. Won’t any shale gas extracted be subject to prices on the international markets anyway?

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Oct-22 18:12:26

You are right, Farzana it won't help at all. Jacob Reece Mogg was a bit of a gransnet favourite a while ago, because of his superficial "good manners".
He just looks foolish to me.

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Oct-22 12:01:37

Interesting moves today in Parliament regarding Labour motion and fracking!
???

MayBee70 Wed 19-Oct-22 13:26:10

Our MP says she has no knowledge of any fracking in our area. It will be interesting to see how she votes today.

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Oct-22 13:28:15

They have a 3-line whip on...
Good move by Labour I think!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Oct-22 13:34:06

I’m not up to date with this.

So, if the whips are in force does that mean that Tory MPs are being forced to vote for fracking?

If so their constituents who are being affected will never forgive them I think.

Grandmabatty Wed 19-Oct-22 13:50:48

There will be no fracking in Scotland as the Scottish government has banned it.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Oct-22 13:56:52

The three line whip is ordering Conservative MPs to vote against a part of the manifesto they were elected on.

I guess if they break party lines they will have the whip withdrawn.

Casdon Wed 19-Oct-22 13:58:42

GrannyGravy13

The three line whip is ordering Conservative MPs to vote against a part of the manifesto they were elected on.

I guess if they break party lines they will have the whip withdrawn.

It will be interesting to see how many defy the whip, I wonder what they would do if it was, say 50?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Oct-22 14:04:47

Apparently Brady has more than the threshold number of letters (twitter for what that’s worth, but I wouldn’t be surprised) so there must be a number of Tory MPs who may be prepared to rebel?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-Oct-22 14:11:34

Whitewavemark2

Apparently Brady has more than the threshold number of letters (twitter for what that’s worth, but I wouldn’t be surprised) so there must be a number of Tory MPs who may be prepared to rebel?

Yep, I have read that from several accounts of both red and blue supporters.

I think they are just using the PM as a puppet.

I know it’s the top job she wanted, but I wouldn’t like to be in her shoes for all the tea in China.

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Oct-22 14:13:15

www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/fracking-vote-tory-labour-whip-b2205908.html%3famp

From the Independent today.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Oct-22 14:17:55

Just emailed my MP to tell her that I am totally opposed to fracking in my area and that I expect her to represent my view on the subject in parliament. And that I shall be interested to see which way she votes.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Oct-22 14:19:05

MayBee70

Just emailed my MP to tell her that I am totally opposed to fracking in my area and that I expect her to represent my view on the subject in parliament. And that I shall be interested to see which way she votes.

? hope they are getting trillions of those mails.

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Oct-22 14:20:37

Labour wants to use this to instigate a draft law to ban the extraction of shale gas across the UK.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Oct-22 14:23:20

NotSpaghetti

Labour wants to use this to instigate a draft law to ban the extraction of shale gas across the UK.

Wasn’t that part of the governments manifesto or was it left somewhat ambiguous?

Casdon Wed 19-Oct-22 14:31:55

I’ve just seen that if Tory MPs have submitted a letter of no confidence in Liz Truss, and then vote against the three line whip on fracking, it invalidates their no confidence letter because they have lost the whip. Caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Oct-22 14:37:44

Yes, - well... they definitely pledged not to lift England’s moratorium on shale gas unless fracking was "scientifically proven to be safe."

MayBee70 Wed 19-Oct-22 15:13:01

Casdon

I’ve just seen that if Tory MPs have submitted a letter of no confidence in Liz Truss, and then vote against the three line whip on fracking, it invalidates their no confidence letter because they have lost the whip. Caught between the Devil and the deep blue sea.

If that happens the government will lose it’s majority. And any Conservative MP that votes in favour of fracking must surely lose their seat at the next election?

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Oct-22 15:58:50

It would be very awkward in their constituency, that's fairly certain.

winterwhite Wed 19-Oct-22 16:10:57

Could they abstain, Casdon? And stand as independents in the next election?

But surely the letters should stand as per the time of writing?

MaizieD Wed 19-Oct-22 16:15:12

Casdon

I'm late to this, but I was seeing on twitter this morning that this was to be a 'confidence vote' in the government. If thy lose it it 'should mean they have to go for a general election. So it won't matter if some tories lose the whip. Perhaps I'm being naive, but it looks to me like, lose the confidence motion -> GE, or get Truss ousted by the 1922 committee... I think they'd go for the second alternative because that would just mean a leadership election, not a GE..