Gransnet forums

News & politics

Suella Braverman’s speech…

(111 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 18:02:18

Just listened to it. It made my blood run cold…sad

Galaxy Thu 06-Oct-22 08:48:46

If he had said people who despise immigrants that would have been grand but he linked it to their background/ethnicity. She gave you all the ammunition you needed in her inhumane speech.
I am not picking on you WW, I am challenging o Brien. I dont want racism from the left or right. Its no good replacing one awfulness with another. And as for the nurse it will be no surprise that I think employers control of speech is a bad idea. But unfortunately that applies to all speech not just the speech we agree with.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Oct-22 08:31:19

volver

WWM2 that's what I meant but you said it a lot better!

? make the most of it, I mostly say daft stuff which I get picked up on and have to admit it was daft!

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 08:28:02

WWM2 that's what I meant but you said it a lot better!

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 08:26:42

This is a bit like the thread about the nurse who talked about not resuscitating tories. Just because someone says something, they don't have to be held responsible for coming up with a system that operationalises the comment.

He's not suggesting a new vetting system should be implemented, just saying that people who despise immigrants shouldn't be in charge of immigration policy.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Oct-22 08:23:41

Galaxy

I am not sure how he is going to implement his suggestion that some immigrants dont get to hold particular public offices, perhaps he could screen them, who knows. Bravermans speech was inhumane but his point of view was also unpleasant in my view.

I took that remark as a point of interest and debate, not a suggestion for policy?

Galaxy Thu 06-Oct-22 08:16:32

I am not sure how he is going to implement his suggestion that some immigrants dont get to hold particular public offices, perhaps he could screen them, who knows. Bravermans speech was inhumane but his point of view was also unpleasant in my view.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 08:08:57

What are O'Brien's solutions? Serious question.

Galaxy Thu 06-Oct-22 08:04:12

Yes but I dont like o Brien solutions either. It's all deeply unpleasant.

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 08:01:51

Braverman is the child of immigrants who appears to think her immigrant forebears are good guys who deserved to stay here but the immigrants on the Channel boats are bad guys who need to be sent to Rwanda on a one way ticket.

That makes her more than an a**e.

Galaxy Thu 06-Oct-22 07:55:47

I agree that people who despise immigrants shouldnt be in charge of immigration policy. I think Braverman is an arse but we shouldnt be linking being an arse to peoples ethnicity/background. I often agree with James o Brien but I think hes also an arse. I am an equal opportunity identifier of arsesgrin

volver Thu 06-Oct-22 07:50:35

We disagree.

I think people who despise immigrants shouldn't be in charge of immigration policy. I think the children of immigrants who despise immigrants are probably displaying some deep rooted personal issues. Either that, or they are just wicked people. I'm not a psychologist. Some things don't need you to be a psychologist to understand them.

Either way, they shouldn't be in charge of immigration policy.

Galaxy Thu 06-Oct-22 07:33:55

Or where their parents come from rather.

Galaxy Thu 06-Oct-22 07:29:48

Sorry had to work yesterday. No jumping the shark. And I dont need to be told to read it again I read it. It's the left's racism, different to the rights but racism none the less, and they get to think they are the good guys. Pretty much the same tone as the labour MP who said the chancellor didnt sound black. You are nodding along with people not being allowed into positions of power because you are ascribing particular personal motivations based on where they come from. It's not great.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:36:00

nanna8

It seems a good distraction for what is happening in your health system etc. Mobilise all the nastiness and focus it elsewhere on those who cannot answer back. Horrible. You need to vote the buggers out.

Mobilise all the nastiness - yep, that just about sums up the current strategy!

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:35:03

In 2022, a record number of students started undergraduate courses at British universities.

The government wants to reduce places on undergraduate course because they're expensive. They're actually trying to encourage students to study more "vocational" options. The courses which are suffering from funding cuts are those in the arts and social sciences.

There are all sorts of reasons why courses for medics can't be increased quickly.

Universities are encouraged to take overseas students because they pay much higher fees - in many cases three times the amount of home students. Higher education has been marketised and it's a success story as far as imports are concerned.

nanna8 Wed 05-Oct-22 23:34:44

It seems a good distraction for what is happening in your health system etc. Mobilise all the nastiness and focus it elsewhere on those who cannot answer back. Horrible. You need to vote the buggers out.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:23:54

Jaberwok

A good proportion of the people arriving from over the channel are said to be Albanian. Albania is a country hoping to join the EU and cannot be said to in conflict. Advertised on Tik tok , cut price offers, by it would appear Albanian smugglers with a view to criminality in this country. Surely no one on here can condone these blatant acts of lawlessness. The French to be fair are doing their best to police an ever expanding coast line, and great efforts are being made on both sides of the channel to break up these gangs. However ,there is allegedly more money to be made by people smuggling than drug running, so unfortunately these gangs won't be broken up any time soon.

So the UK needs to invest more in Border Force and the National Crime Agency.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 23:17:45

Grany

Rachel Reeves Labour said the Tories are not deporting Enough asylum seekers.

No media coverage of the Labour Files documentaries by Aljazeera

I want rid of the Tory government
Will vote labour

That's not quite what Rachel Reeves said.

She said that claims should be processed more quickly and failed asylum seekers should be deported if they have no right to be here, for the sake of those who have a genuine right to asylum.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rachel-reeves-immigrant-suella-braverman-b2195904.html

MaizieD Wed 05-Oct-22 22:23:59

Rachel Reeves Labour said the Tories are not deporting Enough asylum seekers

I don't think she belongs in the Labour Party, Grany. She said awful things about the unemployed a while ago, didn't she?
(I don!t think her economics is particularly good, either, but hope she is just playing the 'responsible with your money' game for the media)

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 22:18:45

Yes. Criminal gangs? The best way to avoid them operating is to either have legal ways for asylum seekers to cross the Channel, or have the asylum seekers processed by UK officials on the other side of the Channel. Remove their market.

But that doesn't suit the dogma, does it?

Jaberwok Wed 05-Oct-22 22:06:57

No thoughts on the criminal gangs??!! No I thought not, just Tory bashing on here s usual.

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 21:33:13

Thanks MayBee70. What next...

MayBee70 Wed 05-Oct-22 21:19:56

volver. They’re cutting down on university places because they know they’re going to lose the next election so they want Labour to inherit a situation where the country is even more short of doctors than we are now.

Grany Wed 05-Oct-22 20:47:49

Rachel Reeves Labour said the Tories are not deporting Enough asylum seekers.

No media coverage of the Labour Files documentaries by Aljazeera

I want rid of the Tory government
Will vote labour

Oldnproud Wed 05-Oct-22 20:41:33

I found this woman's comment about it being her dream to see immigrants sent to Rwanda truly shocking and sickening.

I have a feeling that that was her deliberate intention, but to me, that makes it all the more worrying.

What, just what, have we come to?