Gransnet forums

News & politics

Suella Braverman’s speech…

(110 Posts)
MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 18:02:18

Just listened to it. It made my blood run cold…sad

Ilovecheese Tue 04-Oct-22 18:08:35

Awful, wasn't it. The faithful seemed to lap it up though.

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 18:09:34

The Tories just love an immigration speech, especially from someone of an immigrant background.

Extra loud applause for Rwanda.

As with all the speeches you'd never guess which party has been in power these past 12 years.

Curtaintwitcher Tue 04-Oct-22 19:25:57

That sounds more like the Conservative party I voted for! She said all the right things and if she were only able to put it all into practise, this country might get back to being Great Britain again.
However, I don't doubt that she'll be blocked at every turn by those who are determined to destroy this country.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 04-Oct-22 19:31:55

Unbelievable! Some of the faithful only clapped when they saw themselves on the screen, others looked totally shell shocked. She is so right wing, her nickname could be Genghis Khan. I was appalled by most of what she said. Chancellor, PM, Home Secretary - what a glorious triumvirate. Not.

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 19:33:00

I often have a wee chortle to myself when people who purport to be patriots think the "Great" means glorious, or splendid. I often just wish they really did know more about the history of these islands...

Great Britain was originally called 'great' in the sense of 'greater' to distinguish it from 'lesser' (ie 'smaller'), or Little Britain' – Brittany in what is now France – not because its people are in any way superior, or the place much, much nicer than anywhere else.

Better than perfidious Albion, I suppose...

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 19:36:58

I haven't found the speech online yet, but I'll continue looking. I did find this on Sky News though.

Home Secretary Suella Braverman praised Liz Truss as a "moderate" prime minister who has been able to "pull together various strands" of the Conservative Party.

She told a ConservativeHome event: "We are a broad church. I think we are strongest when we are focused on a common enemy, and that is the Labour Party.

"I actually think we have a moderate conservative agenda and a moderate conservative leader in Liz Truss.

"I think she's been able to pull together various strands of our party in our government."

She's mad as a box of badgers.

hallgreenmiss Tue 04-Oct-22 19:39:15

Ladyleftfieldlover

Unbelievable! Some of the faithful only clapped when they saw themselves on the screen, others looked totally shell shocked. She is so right wing, her nickname could be Genghis Khan. I was appalled by most of what she said. Chancellor, PM, Home Secretary - what a glorious triumvirate. Not.

Absolutely agree. This lot are a danger to democracy

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 19:43:23

It comes to it when the boss of Shell asks to pay more tax and the government have other ideas.

news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-shell-boss-calls-on-government-to-tax-oil-and-gas-companies-to-protect-poorest-12712013

Apricotdessert Tue 04-Oct-22 20:12:58

Curtaintwitcher

That sounds more like the Conservative party I voted for! She said all the right things and if she were only able to put it all into practise, this country might get back to being Great Britain again.
However, I don't doubt that she'll be blocked at every turn by those who are determined to destroy this country.

The people destroying this country are the corrupt Tories and their cronies and the right wing media who let them get away with it for their own gains. The Tories pretend to be patriots with their flag waving whilst raking it in for their doners or giving them peerages, whilst value for money for the tax payer is of secondary concern. Ordinary hard working people's quality of life has suffered in the past 12 years and since Brexit our rights have started to suffer too.

RichmondPark1 Tue 04-Oct-22 20:21:54

Why are the Conservatives so fixated on the people arriving in small boats? The numbers show we have more pressing problems

28,592 - migrants crossing this year
377,689 - patients waiting over one year for NHS treatment
3,600.000 - children living in poverty in UK
4,000,000 - people without access to NHS dental care
235 police officers per 100,000 people compared with 264 in 2011, a real-terms reduction in the number of officers over the decade of 11%.

Is that the Conservative party you voted for Curtaintwitcher?

MaizieD Tue 04-Oct-22 20:57:22

Of course, from what I've read of Braverman's proposals she is actually intending to break international law on asylum seekers. But what's a bit of international law breaking eh?

MaizieD Tue 04-Oct-22 20:57:53

Good post, RP1

Kandinsky Tue 04-Oct-22 21:05:36

If 28600 migrants are crossing each year that’s 286.000 extra people in just 10 years.

These numbers must have an impact on our NHS / housing situation.
Something has to be done to stop so many people entering the UK illegally.

volver Tue 04-Oct-22 21:22:12

It's just not worth arguing any more.

RichmondPark1 Tue 04-Oct-22 21:27:34

There are 67 million people in the UK. 286,000 extra people equals less that 0.5% of the population.

286,000 people who could be working and contributing in our society, paying tax, running hospitals, building houses.

It's not illegal to cross the channel.

Refugees in the UK currently make up less than 0.3% of the population (and there are only that number there because process keeps them in the system and unable to work for months on end).

They are not the reason why you can't see a dentist or have to wait a year for a hip operation and the Conservative Party know that.

LizzieDrip Tue 04-Oct-22 22:19:12

I found her speech very uncomfortable listening - verging on racist and homophobic. She said her parents loved the UK and came here in search of a better life. She clearly benefited from that ‘better life’ but she doesn’t believe anyone else should have those benefits. I find people like her very dangerous. The clapping from the party faithful at key points around race and gender made my blood run cold - such narrow-minded, insular bigots! IMO they are certainly NOT what made Britain ‘great’.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Oct-22 23:14:36

LizzieDrip

I found her speech very uncomfortable listening - verging on racist and homophobic. She said her parents loved the UK and came here in search of a better life. She clearly benefited from that ‘better life’ but she doesn’t believe anyone else should have those benefits. I find people like her very dangerous. The clapping from the party faithful at key points around race and gender made my blood run cold - such narrow-minded, insular bigots! IMO they are certainly NOT what made Britain ‘great’.

She said how much it cost to keep migrants in hotels but then said Rwanda must be made to work. Can someone remind me how much it costs to send someone to Rwanda for ‘ processing’ ( I HATE that word…). And her idea that her family were different from other people wanting to come to this country. Then she went on to mock The Guardian, the LibDems….lawyers.

Welshwife Tue 04-Oct-22 23:29:17

Priti Patel is much the same - what is it with these people?

JenniferEccles Tue 04-Oct-22 23:40:52

I, like many Conservative voters am impressed with what she has to say so far but of course it remains to be seen whether she will be successful in stopping the daily surge of illegal immigration landing on our shores.
It’s shameful that this people smuggling operation has been allowed to continue unabated, but of course Priti Patel was thwarted at every turn when she tried to put an end to it.

Meanwhile, housing these mostly young male immigrants is costing us an eye watering five million pounds a day.

growstuff Wed 05-Oct-22 01:56:27

What illegal immigration? It isn't illegal to enter the UK and seek asylum.

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 05:39:41

Priti Patel was thwarted at every turn when she tried to put an end to it

Because what she was trying to do was illegal. I would have thought a proper Tory would have minded about law and order.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 05:59:58

IT IS NOT ILLEGAL UNDER INTERNATIONAL LAW TO SEEK ASYLUM.

IF THE LIKES OF PATEL AND BRAVERMAN SEEK TO MAKE IT SO THEY ARE BREAKING INTERNATIONAL LAW.

Get it?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 06:07:30

What I do think though is that there needs to be serious recognition, that millions of folk are going to find the area of the world in which they live, more and more inhabitable because of human activity and climate change.

The UN needs to tackle this issue with some urgency to ensure that that those through accident of birth find themselves in a climate so inhospitable, it becomes impossible to live, and get agreement with the world over what must happen to these people.

Of course tackling climate change would help.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 06:39:36

I think that there is some truth in this

James Oh Brien

@mrjamesob
·
9h
Children of immigrants who despise other immigrants probably shouldn’t be in charge of immigration policy. They often seem to be dealing with personal issues that shouldn’t be anywhere near the political space. People who protected & defended their parents might do a better job.