Gransnet forums

News & politics

CEO Susie Green has left Mermaids!

(55 Posts)
grannydarkhair Fri 25-Nov-22 19:02:06

Didn’t really want to start another “trans” thread but this news doesn’t really fit into any of the current threads. As subject header says -Susie Green is no longer with Mermaids. Jumped or pushed?

twitter.com/saintcirce/status/1596202925931761664?s=61&t=O8nvhcXrJ-8iakakxNQWDQ

grannydarkhair Sat 26-Nov-22 14:17:10

JaneJudge Jackie Green is now 30ish. Apparently not been on any social media for about two years. I’ve seen a thread (can’t find it) from about then where he says he is happy and living the best life as the woman he was always meant to be. He also said that his surgery at 16 was to correct a minor physical fault (or words to that effect).
I really hope he is happy and secure in his life after everything that’s happened to him, how could anyone not wish that for him? I do wonder however just what kind of relationship he has with his parents nowadays?

VioletSky Sat 26-Nov-22 14:27:29

It's the same audience so probably not necessary for a new thread

Feels like they are taking over a bit to be honest

Smileless2012 Sat 26-Nov-22 14:33:31

That's good to know grannydarkhairsmile.

MerylStreep Sun 27-Nov-22 09:52:35

I used the word madness earlier. Here’s the proof I wasn’t wrong 😡

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11473423/Its-heresy-Worshippers-left-tears-Cambridge-dean-claims-Jesus-TRANSGENDER.html

JaneJudge Sun 27-Nov-22 10:10:33

Holy Carp
Apart from what he is claiming, you would think someone with a Phd would know the difference between a vulva and a vagina let alone a scar

Smileless2012 Sun 27-Nov-22 13:19:25

shockangry total insanity.

Lathyrus Sun 27-Nov-22 14:10:00

I think it’s important to be accurate.

If you read all of the article, not just the headline, you’ll see that the Dean didn’t claim that at all, but defended the right of a research student to give his opinion on a work of Medieval art.

It was very upsetting and totally inappropriate for the student to give that opinion at a church service.

I don’t think those of us who are trying to call attention to trans extremists are helped by an inaccurate report designed to stir up outrage. We need to be the rational voice.

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 14:40:52

I read the whole article and I think comparing a vagina to a bleeding wound is offensive to those of us that have vaginas. It certainly wasn’t appropriate in the circumstances described. Nothing to do with transgender issues.

Lathyrus Sun 27-Nov-22 16:15:37

I totally agree - as well as being very silly if you look at the picture.

But it wasn’t the Dean that did it, was my point really.

Smileless2012 Sun 27-Nov-22 17:52:12

..... and totally inappropriate for the student to give that opinion as at a church service I agree Lathyrus and totally inappropriate in those circumstances for the Dean to support that student.

Lathyrus Sun 27-Nov-22 18:03:01

Yes, I am a bit ambivalent about it though because I do think people should be free to say things, just as I want to say that I think the students thesis is rubbish and the mark of someone who is hoping that being controversial will make up for lack of academic prowess.

In that regard I think the Dean is right to defend freedom of speech and academic thought, whilst bringing home to the student that sensationalism has no place in academia.

But my main objection to the headline was that it was deliberately misleading. The Dean didn’t say Jesus was transgender.

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 18:35:50

Many headlines do that. Clickbait. I’m not saying people shouldn’t discuss things, but that was not the time and place.

Lathyrus Sun 27-Nov-22 19:12:56

I know, I shouldn’t get so hung up on the fact that people only read the headlines and then think that’s the facts😳

JaneJudge Sun 27-Nov-22 19:51:21

The Daily Mail is difficult to read with all the adverts and videos of poor Britney Spears

FarNorth Tue 29-Nov-22 16:12:24

"Green kept telling the story of Jackie because, for a long time, it gave her moral authority. No doubt, parents have long been great advocates for the rights of their marginalised children. But an alternative way of looking at Green is she was at least as good an advocate for her own rights: the right to put her child on untested hormone pills, the right to take her child to Thailand for a sex change. There is a fine line between using your parenting experience to help others, and validating your parenting choices by encouraging others to do the same."

unherd.com/2022/11/mermaids-useful-idiots/

FarNorth Tue 29-Nov-22 16:20:16

Here is a video where detransitioned transwoman Shape Shifter comments on a man who is now making money selling clothing that conceals little boys' genitals, so they can look like girls.

Susie Green has made money out of claiming her son was trans and then influencing other parents and children, just as this man is doing in an even more obvious way.

youtu.be/sjsoFbBA_kI

Stormystar Tue 29-Nov-22 16:24:13

Pasted directly from the Guardian. Make of it what you will.
“The file opened by the Charity Commission came after the Telegraph published a story in September alleging that Mermaids offered to send breast binders to children against their parents’ wishes.

Pending the commission’s scrutiny, a number of organisations have paused their relationships with Mermaids – the national lottery community fund has suspended future payments and the Department for Education has removed it from its mental health and wellbeing resources for schools.

Further controversy was prompted by an article in the Times reporting that a Mermaids trustee, Dr Jacob Breslow, an associate professor at the London School of Economics (currently listed as being on sabbatical), gave a 2011 presentation for B4U-ACT, an organisation that aims to promote “a science-informed understanding about people … with an attraction to children”. resigned when the Times contacted Mermaids.”

Smileless2012 Tue 29-Nov-22 16:30:37

This organisation should be suspended until it has been fully investigated.

grannydarkhair Fri 02-Dec-22 16:08:41

The Charity Commission has launched a statutory inquiry into Mermaids. Best news I’ve read today 👍

twitter.com/sexmattersorg/status/1598666394610147329?s=61&t=ev1zPi_bvttdD-YgU9mhhg

Doodledog Fri 02-Dec-22 21:39:58

It really is good news. For the children who might get help with detransitioning or trauma counselling, and for the children who won't suffer in future.

I'll be interested to see the posts of those who have defended Mermaids and sneered at those of us who have expressed concern about it. I very much doubt that there will be as much vociferous support and condescension when the report's findings are known though. It has been blindingly obvious for some time that there's been something rotten in Mermaids, so I'd be surprised if the report is anything other than extremely critical.

grannydarkhair Fri 02-Dec-22 22:29:57

Susie Green “forced out” as staff revolted against her “incapable leadership”

twitter.com/themoominmama/status/1598802530854739968?s=61&t=0K5k-LssLJfVKJrkLhWz6w

Rosie51 Sat 03-Dec-22 13:15:58

The Charity Commission statutory inquiry into Mermaids would explain the sudden, obviously unplanned exit of Susie Green. Not to mention the deleting of huge numbers of her tweets, and those of her child Jackie Green. Of course these are recorded in many screenshots and quote tweets so may be available should the Commission wish to see them. It's rather ironic that the spotlight shone more brightly on Mermaids because they chose to be vindictive and tried to get charity status removed from another charity. If they were to revert back to their original stated mission as in the photo (where they state Only a small proportion of cases will result in a transsexual outcome ) then they could still be a force for good.

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Dec-22 15:20:32

They could still be a force for good Rosie but will they ever be trusted again? With such a sensitive issue trust is paramount and once lost not easily found again, and the real losers are those desperately in need of support and guidance.

Doodledog Sat 03-Dec-22 15:35:12

The whole subject is such a hot potato that I don't know how children can get neutral support.

I have a friend who works as a psychologist in the NHS, and she says that things are finally becoming more sensible after years of qualified, experienced people being hidebound by Stonewall-driven policies. She feels more optimistic than for years, but is aware that she and her colleagues will have to pick up the pieces after the wrongs that have been done to so many for so long.

Smileless2012 Sat 03-Dec-22 15:38:42

Well that's good news Doodledog but undoing the damage that's been done must be a very daunting prospect.