Gransnet forums

News & politics

CEO Susie Green has left Mermaids!

(55 Posts)
grannydarkhair Fri 25-Nov-22 19:02:06

Didn’t really want to start another “trans” thread but this news doesn’t really fit into any of the current threads. As subject header says -Susie Green is no longer with Mermaids. Jumped or pushed?

twitter.com/saintcirce/status/1596202925931761664?s=61&t=O8nvhcXrJ-8iakakxNQWDQ

Rosie51 Sat 03-Dec-22 23:40:36

Smileless2012

They could still be a force for good Rosie but will they ever be trusted again? With such a sensitive issue trust is paramount and once lost not easily found again, and the real losers are those desperately in need of support and guidance.

Probably not Smileless. It's a shame because I know it's a frightening thing for parents when a child is distressed or confused about themselves. One of my children verged on the edge of bulimia for a while, and I was lost and desperate not knowing what to do. Luckily I rang a dedicated helpline and a lovely woman calmed me down, gave fantastic advice and guided me as to how to respond. Said child came through that episode without permanent damage and resumed normal eating patterns. Without such good advice I may have blundered into damaging territory. If Mermaids had stuck to their original mission statement they would still be a voice of comfort, guidance and support. So sad for the families and individuals they've failed in recent years.

grannydarkhair Tue 06-Dec-22 01:59:26

Mermaids are refusing to let staff see the report on SG’s leadership because there are not “safe spaces” in which to read it. Staff are unhappy that their well-being is being used as an excuse to bury the report when it’s about Mermaids trying to protect what’s left of its reputation.

twitter.com/ewansomerville/status/1599865031700553728?s=61&t=Me6EJSK9XClimiDrSyxHzg

Mollygo Tue 06-Dec-22 02:16:51

What is a safe space to read it? Safe for whom? Somewhere where it can’t be leaked to the public and the press?

FarNorth Tue 06-Dec-22 10:15:23

Very good questions in this comment on the twitter thread:

They can't read a report by a Social Justice org because they don't have a 'safe space?' Ludicrous. How did this 'charity' get training gigs with hospitals, schools, the police? Why was it bankrolled by the govt? How did this go on for years?

I guess everyone was choosing to believe that someone else was making sure everything was all right, both outside Mermaids and inside it.

It doesn't explain, tho, why so many people eagerly followed Mermaids' and Stonewall's insistence that children's 'gender identity' should be immediately affirmed by everyone.
A natural consequence of that policy, surely, is Mermaids' actions which are now being condemned - sending binders to young girls and organising hormone prescriptions from abroad.