Gransnet forums

News & politics

If Scotland is so wee,,poor and stupid ,why DO WM aka the ENGLISH parliament want so desperately to hold onto us

(302 Posts)
paddyann54 Sat 26-Nov-22 21:05:48

After all they dont EVER have a good word to say about us ...and that includes their unionist "SCOTS" who it seems are delighted to tell us that we cant do anything right

Answers on a postage stamp ...or a postcard if you can find a true reason

petra Sun 27-Nov-22 12:56:28

Oh come on CrumpetsForTea there must be someone somewhere who's interested. I was going to ask about the price of eggs incase anyone's interested. 😴

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 13:04:26

Grantanow

There is always room for debate MaizieD but you might want to read the IFS response to the Scottish paper published before the referendum at ifs.org.uk/news/immediate-response-scottish-governments-paper-independence-and-scottish-economy

Post-independence a Scottish gov't would likely have to raise taxes and cut spending. Joining the EU would be problematical because the other states would see Scotland as being in need of financial aid. Improving growth has a poor history throughout the UK and I can't see the SNP improving its domestic performance any time soon.

So I'm going to pick on your post, Grantanow because it contains examples that are too good to pass over.

Post-independence a Scottish gov't would likely have to raise taxes. Good. I was always proud to pay more tax. This is an example of how I think we in Scotland broadly have a different view of how the world works. Paying tax isn't a bad thing if you get something in return.

cut spending.. Aye, that's not good. We'll have to grit our teeth.

joining the EU would be problematical. Well we'll have to work towards it. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Improving growth has a poor history throughout the UK. Using an example of how things haven't worked in the Union isn't a glowing recommendation for staying in the Union.

I can't see the SNP improving its domestic performance any time soon. Then we will vote in another governing party. As we always have the power to do. But we keep voting SNP/Green/Alba right now because for half the population independence is a big thing. After we get it, we can all vote Tory if we like. Or more likely, Labour.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 13:05:03

petra

Oh come on CrumpetsForTea there must be someone somewhere who's interested. I was going to ask about the price of eggs incase anyone's interested. 😴

Do you see how much butter costs? Its diabolical!!

HousePlantQueen Sun 27-Nov-22 13:11:46

Just a quick reminder that many of us didn't vote for the current Tory administration, didn't vote for Brexit either, so stop blaming EVERYONE in the rest of the United Kingdom for your frustrations with devolution. That snake Cameron did many of us no favours. Westminster isn't only peopled with English MPs as you well know Paddyanne, we are frequent witnesses to the eloquence of your Ian Blackmore as he rips into the Tory government.

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 13:13:35

Do you mean Ian Blackford?

He's obviously made an impression down south.

(Too sarcastic, Terribull?)

VioletSky Sun 27-Nov-22 13:15:54

Oh wow

Lol

I'm English, I said so

I can't be racist against myself

Besides, twas a joke anyway

Can I please come to Scotland now

TerriBull Sun 27-Nov-22 13:21:25

On the whole I find your posts regarding Scottish Independence measured Volver not full of the pent up, red faced rage in the preamble of the OP, literally spat out! Passion it may well be but into that mix is a great big dollop of provocation and that is what I imagine many take exception to hmm

HousePlantQueen Sun 27-Nov-22 13:23:33

volver

Do you mean Ian Blackford?

He's obviously made an impression down south.

(Too sarcastic, Terribull?)

Yes, I did, sorry, some sort of predictive text as I have a friend with surname Blackmore blush

Glorianny Sun 27-Nov-22 13:28:23

I've asked before but if Scotland does get independence please can we have the border moved down to Hadrian's Wall again? It shifted about quite a bit in the past and I'd rather have the Edinburgh lot in charge of where I live than the lot in Westminster.

MawtheMerrier Sun 27-Nov-22 13:37:04

I can't be racist against myself

Actually you can.
Being Jewish is no defence for telling Jewish jokes.
Likewise Irish.
And one public figure I heard uttering the most inappropriate anti-Asian racist comments was the late Lord (Sir Learie) Constantine, our first black peer.
So however much you may wish to be funny or trendy on this thread, your comment was inappropriate.

VioletSky Sun 27-Nov-22 13:40:01

Let's clarify shall we

I read this thread because I think that Scorish people should have been able to stay in the EU and should have the right to independance.

It does make me cross at times that the English by strength of numbers get the majority vote on everything and I think let us down on say, Brexit and Tory voting.

Of course I love English people in general.

What I don't love is seeing personal attacks and nastyness when I join a thread.

I don't love people who follow anyone around on gransnet and use information they have learned like, their depression status, their job or any other personal information and use it against other posters.

My own fan club who I generally ignore on gransnet followed me here and absolutely never pass up an opportunity to have a go, even if they have to twist words, wildly exaggerate or deliberately misunderstand to do so.

I'm sorry to anyone who saw that and believed I hate English people. I don't. I just have a very silly sense of humour and I was saddened by the response to this thread.

Thank you for your time.

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Nov-22 13:42:03

There isn't a cats chance in hell of any of the other nations getting heard when there are 10 times more ENGLISH MP's than the rest of us put together
Perhaps that fact escaped you.

The reason is obvious, though.

It depends on population, number of constituencies therefore the number of MPs is pro rata.

England is much more densely populated than Scotland although not even twice the size.

What you need is for all ex-pat Scots who live in the RUK to return to live in Scotland.
Problem solved!!

I will miss all my friends, though sad

It's only the English who can be accused of xenophobia or jingoism 🙂

Time to cut down on GN I think.
Think I'll go and eat worms, DaisyAnne

grandtanteJE65 Sun 27-Nov-22 13:45:53

Katie59

Scotland does make good Whisky, they have quite a lot of oil and gas, otherwise I can’t think why we need them.

As a former Scot, I would suggest the British army will be in a sad state without the Scottish regiments.

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Nov-22 13:46:07

There isn't a cats chance in hell of any of the other nations getting heard
😂😂😂

Don't worry, we hear the news from north of the border loud and clear!

Wales and NI are the afterthoughts.
England and Scotland dominate the news.

And now we can spare 30 seconds for Wales .....
And 15 seconds for Northern Ireland.....

MawtheMerrier Sun 27-Nov-22 13:46:37

Of course I love English people in general.

I'm not keen on English people either and I am one

@VioletSky - Make up your mind!

CrumpetsForTea Sun 27-Nov-22 13:48:42

What I don't love is seeing personal attacks and nastyness when I join a thread.

What I don't love is seeing being justifiably called out for making a racist remark excused on depression status, a personal attack or nastiness. Read up on implicit bias racism. It's a thing.

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Nov-22 13:50:56

I was saddened by the response to this thread.

Just to make very clear - I always enjoy paddyanne's posts even though I might not agree with her on a couple of issues.

One thing for sure - her posts on the subject are never bland!
It would be really boring if we all agreed on everything, we'd be like those nodding dogs.

VioletSky Sun 27-Nov-22 13:51:21

OK do carry on then

Casdon Sun 27-Nov-22 13:53:58

paddyann54 has also employed poetic licence in her statement.
There are currently: 533 constituencies in England; 59 in Scotland; 40 in Wales; 18 in Northern Ireland.
Scotland alone has more than 10% of the total number of MPs in Westminster. ‘The rest of us put together’ have a total of 117, which is above 20% of the total. I’m not saying having 20% means we get heard, but at least it’s factually accurate.

VioletSky Sun 27-Nov-22 13:57:05

Same names, same nonsense

If I'd never said trans women are women this wouldn't be happening lol

volver Sun 27-Nov-22 14:01:05

Casdon

There are currently: 533 constituencies in England; 59 in Scotland; 40 in Wales; 18 in Northern Ireland.
Scotland alone has more than 10% of the total number of MPs in Westminster. ‘The rest of us put together’ have a total of 117, which is above 20% of the total. I’m not saying having 20% means we get heard, but at least it’s factually accurate.

Not really, factually accurate, sorry.

Scotland has 9% of the total number of MPs in Westminster and "the rest of us" have 18%.

Accuracy at all times. wink

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Nov-22 14:01:13

This thread seems to be veering off course.

Callistemon21 Sun 27-Nov-22 14:05:38

volver

Casdon

Not really, factually accurate, sorry.

Scotland has 9% of the total number of MPs in Westminster and "the rest of us" have 18%.

Accuracy at all times. wink

Repopulate Scotland!! 🙂

www.thenational.scot/news/20039947.new-figures-reveal-rural-scotlands-depopulation-crisis
www.thenationalnews.com/travel/destinations/2021/08/04/would-you-move-to-scotlands-remote-islands-for-50000/
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-62741746

HousePlantQueen Sun 27-Nov-22 14:08:13

Callistemon21

This thread seems to be veering off course.

same as I am after having a pre dinner G&T, I recommend it. Can't be bothered with deliberately provocative posts, so I'm out. Fancy a G&T Callistemon21? I am just opening a fresh bottle of tonic and I don't want it to go flat.

VioletSky Sun 27-Nov-22 14:09:03

It's always been my dream to move to either Scotland or Canada