GRN: 2.8% (+0.1)
REF: 2.7% (+0.2)
REU: 1.0% (+1.0)
UKIP: 0.6% (+0.6)
MRLP: 0.6% (+0.6)
FA: 0.3% (+0.3)

Blossoming Fri 02-Dec-22 13:08:59

Curtaintwitcher

The working classes have been betrayed by Boris Johnson, who managed to convince us that voting for his party would be the best choice. However, I don't think Starmer will put things right. At the moment, he seems to have realised that you have to appeal to the voters in order to get elected. Suddenly, he is saying all the right things, but I doubt his sincerity.

He didn’t manage to convince me.

Oreo Fri 02-Dec-22 13:16:44

dragonfly46

MaizieD

Thanks for this morning's laugh, Allsorts. 😆

What a thoroughly nasty uncalled for comment!
That is the reason I never post on these discussions!

That’s a typical left wing comment from the hard of thinking
dragonfly46 and yeah, nasty with it, you’re right.
I will maybe vote Labour, or Lib Dem but thought Allsorts makes some good points.👍🏻

Oreo Fri 02-Dec-22 13:18:32

Grantanow

There's many a slip of course but it seems likely in this moment that Labour will form the next government, the Tories losing most of the red wall seats. However, Labour will inherit the most awful mess and the measures it will need to take will probably alienate many voters so it could well go out of office a few years later. A pity we lost the continuing 4% of GDP due to Brexit and no prospect of recovering it.

Agree 👏🏻👏🏻

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Dec-22 13:19:07

I’m looking forward to no longer having a government who governs by lies.

Kandinsky Fri 02-Dec-22 13:29:50

What will this board moan about all day when Labour are in charge?
They’ll be plenty of people twiddling their thumbs not having anything to have a go at. grin

Katie59 Fri 02-Dec-22 13:30:42

No surprises the Tories did badly, it’s a long time until the next GE Labour should win convincingly, but lets not rule out a coalition with SNP, plenty of work to do.

Casdon Fri 02-Dec-22 13:35:21

Kandinsky

They’ll be plenty of people twiddling their thumbs not having anything to have a go at. grin

You will be able to carry on having a moan though Kandinsky, it will be the Tory supporters turn in the anti government spotlight. 😁

MaizieD Fri 02-Dec-22 14:01:15

Grantanow

There's many a slip of course but it seems likely in this moment that Labour will form the next government, the Tories losing most of the red wall seats. However, Labour will inherit the most awful mess and the measures it will need to take will probably alienate many voters so it could well go out of office a few years later. A pity we lost the continuing 4% of GDP due to Brexit and no prospect of recovering it.

I think that Labour success in sorting out the awful mess will depend very much on whether they are stuck in the same economic rut as the tories are currently following, pretending that the only way to solve the problem is by cutting spending, or will revert to their 1950s Keynesian roots and undertake a massive programme of state investment to create jobs, improve wages and restore our public services.

I am doubtful that they will do that, though, with a Shadow Chancellor who seems to be following the same economic line as the tories, just claiming that Labour will do it better.

OTOH, the tory line is a line that voters seem to love when the right wing media can convince them that Labour will bankrupt the country...

I'm pleased that Labour are high in the polls, that they are winning by elections, and look almost certain to win the next general election, but I'm not altogether confident that they will sparkle in government...

Dickens Fri 02-Dec-22 14:04:49

Whitewavemark2

I’m saying with confidence that Trump won’t get in next time. I’m hoping he will be in the middle of a court case, or in prison for sedition.

I think you can be pretty confident. The GOP themselves are increasingly and decidedly getting tired of his obsession with 'the steal' and all the negative publicity he attracts which is damaging the party. Not to mention the dubious dinner guests he entertains.

... which reminds me, didn't Kanye West also say he might have a stab at the presidency? Although now he's been dropped by the top-flight fashion houses, he probably doesn't have enough greenbacks for a campaign.

I think I can predict confidently he - "Ye" as he likes to be called - will not achieve his 'fancy'. What do you think? smile

A huge country like America - where I'm sure there are many talented (and rational) people... and this is the best they can offer?

What bodes with our ever-closer relationship, our 'special' relationship, with the USA?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Dec-22 14:18:53

Kandinsky

Oh no - not as far as I’m concerned.

I know exactly what I want from the next government, and will not spare my criticism if they don’t met with my expectations.

I am not expecting too much to begin with as there is so very much to do, but I shall be watching them, and forming an opinion.

Mamardoit Fri 02-Dec-22 14:21:19

Kandinsky

Well not all Labour MPs will be Saints and Labour has it's own divisions.

The media will go for whoever is in power and I don't think they will allow any new government a honeymoon period.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Dec-22 14:23:57

Dickens
“What bodes with our ever-closer relationship, our 'special' relationship, with the USA?”

I think we should get real about this “special relationship” quite honestly. That boat sailed with Brexit. The USA is only interested in powerful economic blocks.

Did anyone see the photos of Biden and Macron? Now that was making it clear where the special relationship lay.

Blossoming Fri 02-Dec-22 14:34:34

Don’t worry Kandinsky there are a great many right wing Gransnetters who will enjoy criticising (or ‘moaning’ as you call it) a Labour government. There are also many left wingers who will enjoy criticising Labour’s centrist stance. Such is the nature of the game.

Katie59 Fri 02-Dec-22 15:08:56

The EU is a much bigger friend than the UK, however there are serious tensions with the French, Airbus v Boeing and French v US arms, both need to be seen to treat each other fairly.
In this respect they have both been guilty of subsidizing industries in the past.

HousePlantQueen Fri 02-Dec-22 15:27:55

Allsorts

Who one left a bigger mess or a note to say the country was broke, who lied and put us in conflict with Iraq and sent our boys, that's what they were, to war there. Many of those that lived still have PSD. Is this the party?
Think before you pass sweeping comments about a parties perfection. Everyone one of us, politicians included makes errors of judgement. You own up, apologise, learn from them and work to improve.
NHS can't cope with the work load, too many people using and wanting too few resources, they haven't given up. If really ill they are there for us. A war we are supporting as best we can in Ukeaine, we can't just abandom them, Russians have ensured they have no heat, now that's heartbreaking. We do have heat, though expensive, we are receiving help, food too, so many countries would be happy to have what we have.
We've had Covid, that hadn't gone yet. Our teenagers through no fault of their own have lost so much, all they hear is moaning from people that have known holidays full employment and most being able to buy a home. I'm glad I'm the age I am and sorry for our grandchildren. so much for any government.
I don't know which party will get in orcwhominwill vote for but we are where we are now, let's try to,concentrate on now and help those less fortunate.

Crikey.

HousePlantQueen Fri 02-Dec-22 15:30:02

Curtaintwitcher

The working classes have been betrayed by Boris Johnson, who managed to convince us that voting for his party would be the best choice. However, I don't think Starmer will put things right. At the moment, he seems to have realised that you have to appeal to the voters in order to get elected. Suddenly, he is saying all the right things, but I doubt his sincerity.

Excuse me, Johnson didn't 'convince' me to vote for him.

HousePlantQueen Fri 02-Dec-22 15:35:03

Kandinsky

Oh I am sure we can rely on those of a right wing persuasion, led by the misinformation peddled by certain newspapers, to trot out stories showing the Labour government in the worst light. grin It will be a difficult job clearing up the mess left by this corrupt administration and their grubby mates, so we will all be in for difficult times; the difference will be in who gets the blame for it.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 02-Dec-22 15:53:04

Dickens Kanye West aka ye has rendered himself pretty much untouchable with his recent round of interviews along with wearing WLM (white lives matter) T shirts at various Fashion Weeks, he has announced that he is a fan and admirer of The Nazis and Hitler and what he has been saying about the Jewish community would definitely not be allowed on GN

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Dec-22 16:10:24

GrannyGravy13

Dickens Kanye West aka ye has rendered himself pretty much untouchable with his recent round of interviews along with wearing WLM (white lives matter) T shirts at various Fashion Weeks, he has announced that he is a fan and admirer of The Nazis and Hitler and what he has been saying about the Jewish community would definitely not be allowed on GN

Yes

ronib Fri 02-Dec-22 16:11:46

Every time I hear David Miliband speak, he comes across as considered, rational, measured, calm .. he delivers speeches supremely well. He has the power to persuade. Who holds actual power in government, well that’s another story.

Casdon Fri 02-Dec-22 17:07:47

ronib

Every time I hear David Miliband speak, he comes across as considered, rational, measured, calm .. he delivers speeches supremely well. He has the power to persuade. Who holds actual power in government, well that’s another story.

David Milliband is no longer an MP, he’s the president of the International Rescue Committee. Do you mean Ed?

ronib Fri 02-Dec-22 17:18:09

No no way Ed. David Milliband will be considering his position. He has the option of returning to Uk politics if he can afford the temporary drop in salary.

Casdon Fri 02-Dec-22 17:20:26

Have you heard that David is thinking about doing that ronib? It would be great if he did, I haven’t heard anything though.

MerylStreep Fri 02-Dec-22 17:31:53

Casdon
It is being discussed.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/29/not-decided-yet-david-miliband-hints-at-political-comeback

ronib Fri 02-Dec-22 17:39:09

Yes David Milliband gave a tv interview not so very long ago. He was weighing up his options as he has a young family to consider.