Gransnet forums

News & politics

Discrimination against 3.8 million women

(57 Posts)
LizzieDrip Sat 03-Dec-22 10:03:45

Anti Discrimination Commissioner, The Hon Dr Jocelynne Scutt, has just published her report into the impact of the state pension age increase on ‘50s born women. She has forensically analysed the ruling of the courts and found them to be ‘with the greatest respect’ (her words) wrong. Her findings show that there was discrimination on the grounds of age and gender against the group of women born in the 1950s.

LizzieDrip Sat 03-Dec-22 10:15:28

More detail can be found on the CEDAW website.

CEDAWinLAW (Sorry can’t make it a link.)

Also Dr Scutt’s delivery to the parliamentary committee can be viewed on YouTube.

grannydarkhair Sat 03-Dec-22 13:49:37

“With the greatest respect” a report, no matter how well investigated and written will get us the money we didn’t get. WASPI and others have worked hard on this, but I’ve never held on to any hope that there might be back payments of even a small amount.

Poppyred Sat 03-Dec-22 14:47:42

I’m a WASPI as well - BUT - since 2016 we have a much larger pension than those who were able to take it at 60.

Oldbat1 Sat 03-Dec-22 15:36:04

Poppyred I’m a Waspi and had to wait until I was 63 to get my pension which I expected at 60 and I do not receive a “much larger pension”.

Aveline Sat 03-Dec-22 15:38:02

I'm a WASPI and had to wait for my pension too. I doubt there's any chance of compensation. sad

Babs758 Sat 03-Dec-22 16:04:27

I am a Waspi and don’t get my pension until 66.

GagaJo Sat 03-Dec-22 16:14:47

67 here.

Babs758 Sat 03-Dec-22 16:32:58

What is really annoying is that my UsS pension age was also increased so I have to wait for that too! Originally it was 60. Now I get penalised if I take it early :-(

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 16:41:50

What the heck is an "Anti Discrimination Commissioner", there is nothing on any official website that gives this position to anyone in the UK? As far as I can see The Hon Dr Jocelynne Scutt, has simply given herself that title. It doesn't exist. No official person has asked her to publish her report. Basically this is False News. I could say I am the Supreme Commissioner of the Universe and shall publish my report and e-mail to every politician in the world. It would carry the same weight as this bogus report does.

LizzieDrip Sat 03-Dec-22 16:43:39

I’m a WASPI woman. I expected to get my state pension at 60 but had to wait until I was 66. This meant I had to work 6 extra years in a very stressful job, which had a hugely detrimental impact on my health. I do not get a higher pension than those who got their pension aged 60 - obviously, I can’t speak for everyone, but the people I know get a similar pension to me. I agree with posters above who say we are unlikely to get any compensation for this discrimination but, as with many historical discriminatory practices against women, that should not prevent us from continuing to highlight the injustice!

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 16:46:29

I have just Wikipedia'd her and she isn't a Judge in the UK but in her 60's was called to the UK Bar in 2014. She is a local councillor in Arbury Cambs. Hmmm, it is all very curious and doesn't seem kosher to me.

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 16:52:13

At least she presumably was as I can't see her being a current councillor in Arbury now. She must have time on her hands to make up reports and give herself grand titles no longer being a councillor.

LizzieDrip Sat 03-Dec-22 16:53:22

Notgran as you’ve searched for Dr Scutt in Wikipedia, you will have seen the following:

^ Jocelynne Annette Scutt AO (born 8 June 1947) is an Australian feminist lawyer, writer and commentator. She is one of Australia's leading human rights barristers, was instrumental in reform of the laws on rape and domestic violence,[1][2][3] and has served as Anti-Discrimination Commissioner of Tasmania and as a judge on the High Court of Fiji.[4] ^

Because someone of international renown is not ‘a judge in the UK’ does this make her word any less reputable? She carried out this tribunal and published the accompanying report under the auspices of CEDAW - the United Nations Constitution for the Eradication of Discrimination Against Women, to which the UK has signed up.

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 16:56:47

notgran

At least she presumably was as I can't see her being a current councillor in Arbury now. She must have time on her hands to make up reports and give herself grand titles no longer being a councillor.

I take it back. I've found her as a Councillor for another area "West Chesterton"

LizzieDrip Sat 03-Dec-22 16:56:57

Apologies Convention for the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women CEDAW. Posting in an hurry🙈

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 17:04:56

LizzieDrip I can see she has been very successful in her legal career in Australia according to Wiki but being Anti-Discrimination Commissioner of Tasmania holds no water in the UK. I think it's disingenuous to use these titles without qualifying they are from the other side of the world and as I say hold no water here. I have discovered she is a Local Councillor for the Labour Party, which for a lady her age is admirable. Please correct me if I'm wrong but should CEDAW be implemented into British Law it won't make any difference to the 3.8 million 50's born women as retrospective law changing isn't possible. It will be good news for the future, in fighting discrimination against women possibly but the state pension age cannot be changed as it is the law. No discrimination was proved in The Back to 60 case that Michael Mansfield QC lost in the Courts

Delila Sat 03-Dec-22 17:05:29

Isn’t the new state pension rate (which started in 2016 for women born after 1953, I think) about £40+ per week more than the old rate, for those who receive full pension?

V3ra Sat 03-Dec-22 17:10:51

A friend received her pension at 60 whereas I will get mine at 66.
She used to complain I would get more than her, though I will have worked and paid National Insurance for six years more than she did.

We're both self-employed though so does that account for the lack of different amounts that LizzieDrip describes?

notgran Sat 03-Dec-22 17:17:52

Delila

Isn’t the new state pension rate (which started in 2016 for women born after 1953, I think) about £40+ per week more than the old rate, for those who receive full pension?

Yes the New State Pension is more than the old basic state pension.

Bea65 Sat 03-Dec-22 17:26:23

Yes V3ra we've had to work to 66 and beyond so we've paid more NI and tax...

Poppyred Sat 03-Dec-22 17:50:31

LizzieDrip

I’m a WASPI woman. I expected to get my state pension at 60 but had to wait until I was 66. This meant I had to work 6 extra years in a very stressful job, which had a hugely detrimental impact on my health. I do not get a higher pension than those who got their pension aged 60 - obviously, I can’t speak for everyone, but the people I know get a similar pension to me. I agree with posters above who say we are unlikely to get any compensation for this discrimination but, as with many historical discriminatory practices against women, that should not prevent us from continuing to highlight the injustice!

Those who qualified for a full state pension before April 2016 get about £144 a week compared to those who qualified after that date getting about £180 a week. Don’t have the exact amounts, sorry.

I had to wait an extra 6 years for mine as well!

Delila Sat 03-Dec-22 17:58:55

So the new rate is 30%+ higher than the old rate. I don’t know whether that compensates for the extra years people have had to wait?

Oldbat1 Sat 03-Dec-22 18:02:46

Rates currently are £141.85 (which I receive) or £185.15 so over £43.30 more. From Apr 2023 I will receive £156.20 and those receiving the new higher pension will receive £203.85 so £49.65 more per week! Doesn’t seem fair somehow.

Poppyred Sat 03-Dec-22 18:10:16

Oldbat1

Rates currently are £141.85 (which I receive) or £185.15 so over £43.30 more. From Apr 2023 I will receive £156.20 and those receiving the new higher pension will receive £203.85 so £49.65 more per week! Doesn’t seem fair somehow.

But you were allowed to retire 3 years earlier than us Whaspis….