Gransnet forums

News & politics

Discrimination against 3.8 million women

(58 Posts)
LizzieDrip Sat 03-Dec-22 10:03:45

Anti Discrimination Commissioner, The Hon Dr Jocelynne Scutt, has just published her report into the impact of the state pension age increase on ‘50s born women. She has forensically analysed the ruling of the courts and found them to be ‘with the greatest respect’ (her words) wrong. Her findings show that there was discrimination on the grounds of age and gender against the group of women born in the 1950s.

nanna8 Sun 04-Dec-22 05:54:01

Tasmania? Not even part of the mainland. They call the rest of us 'the other island'. Things are different down there.At least when I lived there they were- very different.

notgran Sun 04-Dec-22 07:50:04

nanna8

Tasmania? Not even part of the mainland. They call the rest of us 'the other island'. Things are different down there.At least when I lived there they were- very different.

I have a former work colleague who had lived there for many years and used to say the same. However as it was just hearsay I didn't want to mention that here. Dr Scut's qualifications I'm sure are genuine but a small fish in a big pond who now in her 70's is a councillor in a small Cambs Ward and trying to add something else to her CV is how it looks, but I wish she would qualify such titles as "Anti Discrimination Commissioner", it's rather disingenuous, I feel.

LizzieDrip Sun 04-Dec-22 09:39:56

nanna8 and notgran … so what (apart from being rather discriminatory towards the people of Tasmania)! Dr Scutt, and other representatives of CEDAW, are speaking out against the unfair discrimination of millions of women. Good for them!

Elusivebutterfly Sun 04-Dec-22 11:02:48

Those of us born from 1951 to early 1953 had to work a couple of years longer and only get the old lower state pension. They should have a staged increase for us, just as there was a gradual increase in retirement age.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 11:33:35

Elusivebutterfly

Those of us born from 1951 to early 1953 had to work a couple of years longer and only get the old lower state pension. They should have a staged increase for us, just as there was a gradual increase in retirement age.

Yes, that is an anomaly which should be corrected.

nanna8 Sun 04-Dec-22 11:37:41

Now I said it was ‘different ‘, not ‘bad’ I quite liked living there but I was also quite glad to get back to that big island at the top! We were living in a wild bit so if you lived down in Hobart it was probably more like how most of us live.

Callistemon21 Sun 04-Dec-22 12:14:41

nanna8

Now I said it was ‘different ‘, not ‘bad’ I quite liked living there but I was also quite glad to get back to that big island at the top! We were living in a wild bit so if you lived down in Hobart it was probably more like how most of us live.

We really enjoyed a holiday there and visited friends of friends down in the very wild part - an island off an island!

Hobart was civilisation 🙂