Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is it OK to break the law if you are a Tory?

(337 Posts)
CvD66 Mon 16-Jan-23 13:12:20

In 1987 Lester Pigott was imprisoned for tax evasion of £3m. Nadhim Zahawi (former chancellor) is having to pay back £3m used a tax evasion process incorrectly. He lied about this process and instructed lawyers to threaten a tax lawyer, who exposed him. Zahawi should resign and then face criminal charges both for the tax evasion and threats. But he’s a Tory….and the BBC aren’t even covering his crime.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-23 13:22:35

It's been reported in most of the national press.

But I get the feeling that a lot of tory supporters are more worried about benefit cheats than they are about the greed and corruption of their parliamentary representatives.

Fleurpepper Mon 16-Jan-23 13:24:09

Probably because so many of them are guilty of same! Disgusting.

We should all write to our MPs about this, and say exactly what is in the OP.

Oldbat1 Mon 16-Jan-23 13:31:45

He should resign without doubt. Johnson too continues with secrecy over numerous dodgy donations. Tory sleeze continues - I just hope conservative voters get their heads out of the sand. (I hope Johnson is given a really rough ride during the enquiry and not permitted to waffle and avoid direct questioning).

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-Jan-23 13:31:46

Your first paragraph isn’t very pleasant Fleurpepper. We are not all the same and cheats can be found in all walks of life and political persuasions. So easy to tar everyone with the same brush though isn’t it?

Baggs Mon 16-Jan-23 13:37:17

I've looked at two articles about this (New Statesman and The National because they were the first to appear). It's not clear at this stage that NZ has broken the law on tax.

Piggot presumably had.

Yes, I know tax laws are crazy.

AGAA4 Mon 16-Jan-23 13:40:28

I dislike some people getting away with things others have been punished for. That's not justice.

volver Mon 16-Jan-23 13:45:46

Germanshepherdsmum

Your first paragraph isn’t very pleasant Fleurpepper. We are not all the same and cheats can be found in all walks of life and political persuasions. So easy to tar everyone with the same brush though isn’t it?

Fleurpepper didn't say they were all the same and attempting to say that she did is incorrect, and smacks of trying to shift blame.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-Jan-23 13:49:09

No shifting of blame at all volver. Don’t twist my words.

volver Mon 16-Jan-23 13:50:58

You "quoted" something that Fleurpepper didn't say. You may want to read her post and then read yours and see what I mean.

Its not me who is twisting words.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 16-Jan-23 13:52:14

I quoted nothing.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-23 13:54:25

What article in the New Statesman is that, Baggs. The only one I could find doesn't comment on the legality or otherwise of his evasion.

biglouis Mon 16-Jan-23 13:54:36

One of my cousins is a tax accountant and makes his living out of helping people to avoid paying tax - legitimately.

volver Mon 16-Jan-23 13:54:55

Aye, OK.

There's days I give up on the ability of this posters on this forum to actually consider the things they are posting. I'm off to make soup or something else useful. Just ignore me.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-23 13:56:26

Fleurpepper Probably because so many of them are guilty of same!

Looks like twisting words to me, GSM.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Jan-23 13:57:39

I have just read several articles on this, the only time tax evasion is mentioned is in the headlines.

This is about alleged tax avoidance relating to an offshore company, tax avoidance is not illegal.

If anyone is found guilty of any illegality regardless of the party they work for or vote for, then they should receive the appropriate punishment as laid down in the law.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-23 14:00:03

biglouis

One of my cousins is a tax accountant and makes his living out of helping people to avoid paying tax - legitimately.

Tax avoidance is (sadly) legal.
Tax evasion isn't.

And this tweet looks a tad hypocritical

Mollygo Mon 16-Jan-23 14:00:26

Is it OK to break the law if you are a Tory?

No, but the same question will be asked about Labour MPs when they get into power.
Substitute any word for Tory -Scot, teacher, GN member and the answer’s still no.

Oreo Mon 16-Jan-23 14:03:08

Baggs

I've looked at two articles about this (New Statesman and The National because they were the first to appear). It's not clear at this stage that NZ has broken the law on tax.

Piggot presumably had.

Yes, I know tax laws are crazy.

That’s what I was thinking.
Nothing to do with him being a tory.If criminal intent can be proved then he would be prosecuted.

Oreo Mon 16-Jan-23 14:06:45

Fleurpepper

Probably because so many of them are guilty of same! Disgusting.

We should all write to our MPs about this, and say exactly what is in the OP.

Posters might want to read what’s actually posted instead of having a go at Fleurpepper.

MaizieD Mon 16-Jan-23 14:10:29

A bit of background to the story from the New Statesman in July 2022

www.newstatesman.com/business/2022/07/chancellor-tax-expert-nadhim-zahawi

(I hope that a few people aren't averse to reading an article more than 3 sentences long. It does have paragraphs...)

Strange that Zahawi, having previously denied categorically that the shares in the offshore haven were his is now paying the tax due on them...

biglouis Mon 16-Jan-23 14:16:02

Any system can be manipulated if you know the gaps and loopholes and how to use them to advantage. Lawyers, barristers, accountants and the like make a very good living at it.

Ilovecheese Mon 16-Jan-23 14:49:51

Anyone who finds ways to contribute as little as possible to society should not be an M.P. (and should pay to heat their stables themselves)

Fleurpepper Mon 16-Jan-23 16:57:05

I should have been clearer. My comment was about Tories in Government, not all Tories.

Oreo Mon 16-Jan-23 16:58:33

Ilovecheese

Anyone who finds ways to contribute as little as possible to society should not be an M.P. (and should pay to heat their stables themselves)

And their duck houses.grin