Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you a member of any political Party?

(149 Posts)
Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 15:31:16

I realise many will not wish to disclose, and that is totally comprehensible, of course. However, I think if you are prepared to back a Party, its goals and principles, financially and otherwise, you should be prepared to stand by your decision.

This is probably not usual, but I am a paid up member of 3 different Parties, Lib Dems, Green and Labour, and will vote tactically when the time comes (can't come soon enough, I must say).

Urmstongran Mon 30-Jan-23 15:35:32

You have all your bases covered Fleurpepper it seems!

Ilovecheese Mon 30-Jan-23 15:38:40

I used to be, but have now left due to the current leadership team.
Well, frankly, I no longer felt welcome, having been described as a "crank" or a "barnacle".

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 30-Jan-23 15:40:01

I was a paid up member of the Labour Party until Jeremy Corbyn was elected leader. I had voted for Yvette Cooper. I joined the LibDems briefly. I am mulling over whether to rejoin Labour. I think I’ve voted for the Tories once, and it was obviously an aberration!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-Jan-23 16:02:22

I have never been a member of any political party.

fancythat Mon 30-Jan-23 16:08:02

Gosh no. Never have been.

I have been a floating voter for the last 3 elections I think. Still most definitely am.

dragonfly46 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:08:10

I have never been a member of a political party. I like to keep my options open.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 16:10:22

dragonfly46

I have never been a member of a political party. I like to keep my options open.

Same here, which is why I am a member of 3!!!

M0nica Mon 30-Jan-23 16:14:25

I have been Pid-up member of the Liberals and then Lib Dems since 1962.

But over the last 20years I have got so disenchanted with them that I wonder each year why on earth I am renewing my membership.

In the end I do it because the alternatives are so awful. Nothing, but nothing would get me voting for Labour or the Conservatives. I have considered the Greens but thre is too much I disagree with there for me to want to change alliances, so I stick where I am, I would never not vote or spoil my ballot paper and from waht I have seen of local LibDems in local elections, they are competent and grounded and I agree with most of what they have actually been doing.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 16:18:24

peed up or paid up , lol

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 16:18:54

Yes. I joined the Labour Party last year

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Jan-23 16:21:08

FP, not a criticism, but that’s such an odd thing to do!
I wonder how many other people have done that?

Mollygo Mon 30-Jan-23 16:26:29

Not a paid up member of any party since Tony Blair got in.
Call me a floating voter.

Galaxy Mon 30-Jan-23 16:33:23

Yes member of the labour party.
That's really unusual FP. Do you go to the meetings? I get irritated enough when the labour branch meeting comes around (surely it cant be a month since the last onegrin) I cant imagine doing three.

MiniMoon Mon 30-Jan-23 16:33:39

No, and never will be.

Pittcity Mon 30-Jan-23 16:33:59

I'm another floating voter. I try to vote tactically taking local issues into account but it's difficult to ignore national and international politics.
At present it's ABT (anyone but Tory) and wouldn't dream of joining one particular party.

Parsley3 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:36:31

Not so far but I am considering joining the Labour Party. Both Westminster and Holyrood need a change of government.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-Jan-23 16:37:36

Although I’m not a member of a political party, I’m not a floating voter nor am I keeping my options open.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:43:35

Parsley3

Not so far but I am considering joining the Labour Party. Both Westminster and Holyrood need a change of government.

I keep reading that labour is doing better in Scotland.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 16:44:35

FannyCornforth

*FP*, not a criticism, but that’s such an odd thing to do!

Yes, probably odd- but there is a lot of common ground between all 3- and the First Past the Post System means that in the UK you have to be flexible, and vote tactically.

I'd vote for Greens if I believed they had any chance in my Constituency, but FPTP means a vote wasted. Same for Labour. My constituency is staunch Tory, and has always been- but Lib Dems have a real chance for the first time. I am very happy to support all 3 and vote tactically.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 16:46:16

Germanshepherdsmum

Although I’m not a member of a political party, I’m not a floating voter nor am I keeping my options open.

What does this mean in real terms. Will you always vote for the same Party, whomever, whatever?

I find this much more of 'an odd thing to do'.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:46:42

Fleurpepper

FannyCornforth

FP, not a criticism, but that’s such an odd thing to do!

Yes, probably odd- but there is a lot of common ground between all 3- and the First Past the Post System means that in the UK you have to be flexible, and vote tactically.

I'd vote for Greens if I believed they had any chance in my Constituency, but FPTP means a vote wasted. Same for Labour. My constituency is staunch Tory, and has always been- but Lib Dems have a real chance for the first time. I am very happy to support all 3 and vote tactically.

That makes sense.

I am of exactly the same frame of mind, except that Labour gets in here, so they will get my vote. Next door is Caroline Lucas.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:49:08

Guess which political party a jellyfish would join:
"Jellyfish do not have a brain, a heart, or blood, and have existed for 650 million years".

JaneJudge Mon 30-Jan-23 16:51:28

no, I'm not sure I'd have the time

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 16:52:30

Not quite sure how to take this WWN2- could you clarify, please.