Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are you a member of any political Party?

(150 Posts)
Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 15:31:16

I realise many will not wish to disclose, and that is totally comprehensible, of course. However, I think if you are prepared to back a Party, its goals and principles, financially and otherwise, you should be prepared to stand by your decision.

This is probably not usual, but I am a paid up member of 3 different Parties, Lib Dems, Green and Labour, and will vote tactically when the time comes (can't come soon enough, I must say).

JaneJudge Mon 30-Jan-23 16:59:04

WW2 just means she doesn't have to join the other parties as Labour get in there anyway and the bordering county is Green (both of which she must resonate and would vote for anyway)

I am in true blue area but I'm moving to a marginal seat area, so i understand why you have joined the parties FP

JaneJudge Mon 30-Jan-23 16:59:32

county should have been voting borough

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-Jan-23 17:01:55

I don’t have to be a member of a party in order to vote fp. I’m a Conservative voter - a rare and unpopular species on GN.

Norah Mon 30-Jan-23 17:05:15

Gracious no.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 17:05:31

Oh yes, I get this.

But would you vote Conservative in all and every election- come what may, irrespective of anything they do, irrespective of whom the local MP is, and who they project to choose as MP.

Whatever, whomever ...

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-Jan-23 17:10:10

I don’t vote Conservative in local elections - we have a good longstanding LD councillor who is good on local issues, which is important. But in a GE - I’m a Conservative voter. I have old fashioned Conservative values. I live in a staunchly Conservative area and our MP works hard locally.

LizzieDrip Mon 30-Jan-23 17:14:05

Yes, I’m a member of the Labour Party - have been for many years. Their ethos and policies relating to social justice fit with my own. Labour will always get my vote - regardless of who the party leader is.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 17:17:12

Thanks, I get that. I have many Conservative friends and family who have always voted Cons, because, like you, they have 'old fashioned Conservative values'. But they are all questionning this, as the current Cons are fast destroying those values.

I find it really mind boggling and worrying, to be honest, that so many people are born and will remain to the grave- part of a political party, be it Labour, or Cons- irrespective of anything they do, and however much they have changed the values that were once so clear and strong.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 30-Jan-23 17:29:23

We must agree to disagree fp.

Oldbat1 Mon 30-Jan-23 17:39:09

Not a party member but IF I joins it would be Labour. I would NEVER vote Tory under any circumstances. Why anyone wants a bunch of privileged Etonians playing at running our country is beyond me. Our Tory mp is a total waste of space she has no idea what ordinary folk go through.

GagaJo Mon 30-Jan-23 17:47:19

Joined Labour when Jeremy Corbyn gave me hope politicians could be ethical. Still a member and will vote Labour again.

Jane71 Mon 30-Jan-23 17:47:22

I used to be a Labour party member in the 80's/90's as I was desperate to get rid of Thatcher and the Tories. When Blair got in I left. I'm not sure why: I probably thought my work was done as I have a high regard for Gordon Brown.
Nowadays I vote Green in elections where PR is in operation, and LibDem in FPTP elections as we're in a LibDem seat and don't want the Tories in.

paddyann54 Mon 30-Jan-23 18:59:37

SNP ,have been for decades.They are the only party that will get me the Independence I believe we should have and need.
When we gain Independence we'll see waht the others have to offer when they will be fighting FOR Scotland instead of against us in Westminster.THEN we will truly be independant.

avitorl Mon 30-Jan-23 19:19:36

I am a member of the Labour Party in a very Conservative Party area.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 19:57:42

avitorl

I am a member of the Labour Party in a very Conservative Party area.

Must be so frustrating knowing your vote will never ever count, just because of where you live.

Iam64 Mon 30-Jan-23 20:07:55

I left the LP because of Iraq. Rejoined when Ed Milliband was leader, voted for Yvette and Andy, was disappointed when Corbyn won. No problem with his policies but didn’t believe the LP could win an election with him as leader. I left 12 ninths into his leadership because of ant semitism and his poor performance. I campaigned and voted Labour at the last election. I’m in a red wall seat.
I Re-joined so I could vote in the last leadership contest. Rebecca Long Bailey was dreadful at the hustings. Lisa Nandy was impressive but I voted Starmer.
I’ve voted Green and Lib Dem in local elections. Always Labour in national elections. I dislike the current crop of tories

Dinahmo Mon 30-Jan-23 20:17:05

GagaJo

Joined Labour when Jeremy Corbyn gave me hope politicians could be ethical. Still a member and will vote Labour again.

Same for me. I thought that the LP policies were generally good for the last GE. The Tories poached some of them.

MayBee70 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:14:09

Rejoined the Labour Party last year. I was in the LibDems for a while because I wanted a people’s vote. I would vote LibDem tactically if necessary. I nearly voted Conservative once because they offered several things in their manifesto that would have helped me and my family, but the only thing they actually honoured from that manifesto was the referendum
sad. Lesson learned. I really rate Keir Starmer and have done for a long time.

CanadianGran Mon 30-Jan-23 22:25:03

No, I never have. Although I've voted almost always for the same party, I've never actually joined. No real reason.

aonk Mon 30-Jan-23 22:28:16

I have never been a member of any political party and never will be. There are far better organisations for me to donate to.

annodomini Mon 30-Jan-23 22:37:17

I was a founding member of the SDP and also of the Lib Dems when the two parties merged. I took a very active part in the organisation of the party, but the coalition was, for me, too much to take. I left the Lib Dems regretfully and have not joined any other party. I will still give their candidates my vote, but also will vote tactically for Labour or Greens if either has a better chance of ousting a Tory. I still consider myself as a Social Democrat.

Romola Mon 30-Jan-23 22:43:31

I've been a Lib Dem activist for many years. In this constituency we have a realistic chance of unseating the Tory incumbent at the next GE.
I campaigned Remain in the referendum. I'm a member of the European Movement (as are many Tories of the old school).
The way the two big parties stick with First Past the Post is disgraceful since it is demonstrably undemocratic.

Roobs Mon 30-Jan-23 22:57:23

Member of the Labour party.

Lottie53 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:59:00

I am a member of the Labour Party. I feel confident that Kier Starmer will lead us to victory in the next general election. Definitely time to see the back of the Conservative Party. The sleaze and dishonesty is appalling. Having said that there are some honorable and hardworking cons. There is a lot to fix in the country and society and I feel that Labour are the right party to get on with it.

Sallymander Mon 30-Jan-23 23:03:34

No, I have never been a member of a Political Party despite being a consistent SNP voter.