Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guy Verhofstadt says “Happy Brexit Day”

(215 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 31-Jan-23 17:38:15

It’s a journey, not an event.
It’s only been 2 years - 11 months were tied to EU legislation.
We’ve ‘saved’ £198 BILLION not being part of the European furlough and QE packages.
I’m glad we’re out.
“Things can only get better” 🎵 🎶 as the song said!

Wyllow3 Wed 01-Feb-23 08:18:08

And we can take steps to rejoin aspects of the EU that will benefit us. its not an all or nothing situation.

But as for doing well out of it? Where'e the evidence? We are in an appalling state trade wise.

Casdon Wed 01-Feb-23 08:23:29

Hmm

Urmstongran Wed 01-Feb-23 08:29:50

Ashcombe

I have recently written to my MP regarding changes to rules for immigration to EU countries. Those of you who travel to and from Europe will be aware of the need to have passports stamped on entry and exit. EES is due to be introduced in May, 2023 (just over three months away) but I find no mention of this new regulation when I visit the UK government site, advising on travel to France. EES entails the fingerprinting and photographing of British travellers with these records being stored for future times when they might visit. Delays at ports and airports are expected when this is implemented. This will be followed by ETIAS being implemented in November of this year.

The EU has put this back by a good few months Ashcombe. I read an article on it last week. They are not ready to roll it out.

MaizieD Wed 01-Feb-23 08:31:04

Wyllow3

And we can take steps to rejoin aspects of the EU that will benefit us. its not an all or nothing situation.

But as for doing well out of it? Where'e the evidence? We are in an appalling state trade wise.

Well, that's doubtful. There isn't going to be any cherry picking tolerated. If we try to rejoin the single market it'll be with freedom of movement, which won't please our xenophobes.

I'm still waiting for my unicorn and sunny uplands.

NotSpaghetti Wed 01-Feb-23 08:36:41

I can't find anything about this anywhere Urmstongran.
Please could you post a link?
Thanks.

MaizieD Wed 01-Feb-23 08:57:15

Any way, Inthink Guy was just trolling us.. 😆

MaizieD Wed 01-Feb-23 08:58:19

'I think' (I hate typing on a ting keyboardj

MaizieD Wed 01-Feb-23 08:59:00

MaizieD

Gawd! Done it again. I give up...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Feb-23 09:07:49

Guy Hands a Tory donor and leading City figure has called Brexit a “total disaster”and “bunch of total lies”

The only way it could possibly work is if we move to an economy like Singapore which is never going to work.

The U.K. would never support the ditching of the NHS, where free education was severely limited and employment regulation torn apart.

It was all a complete load of lies.

The biggest issue about it led by Johnson and the Conservative Party were the lies told about the bus and the NHS. In fact what they did was throw the NHS and the country under the bus.

57% of people would now vote to rejoin the EU.

Guardian report.

Dickens Wed 01-Feb-23 09:11:57

MaizieD

😂😂

Dickens Wed 01-Feb-23 09:26:24

Whitewavemark2

Guy Hands a Tory donor and leading City figure has called Brexit a “total disaster”and “bunch of total lies”

The only way it could possibly work is if we move to an economy like Singapore which is never going to work.

The U.K. would never support the ditching of the NHS, where free education was severely limited and employment regulation torn apart.

It was all a complete load of lies.

The biggest issue about it led by Johnson and the Conservative Party were the lies told about the bus and the NHS. In fact what they did was throw the NHS and the country under the bus.

57% of people would now vote to rejoin the EU.

Guardian report.

Well this government appears to be trying to nudge us ever closer to it - using the boiling-frog technique.

MaizieD Wed 01-Feb-23 09:57:30

When you look at the government chaos and corruption which has followed on from the Brexit vote and the increasingly fascist, authoritarian stance they are taking, it really makes you wonder how Leave voters can be so complacent.

Dickens Wed 01-Feb-23 10:20:43

MaizieD

When you look at the government chaos and corruption which has followed on from the Brexit vote and the increasingly fascist, authoritarian stance they are taking, it really makes you wonder how Leave voters can be so complacent.

I think Leave voters are 'aware', but don't connect the government's corruption and chaos with Brexit.

Of course, both are inextricably linked. However, Leave voters believe (I think) that if we have a new, pro-Brexit, government, that Brexit will work. Which, of course, it will - but not for the average man / woman in the street.

I think we are going to see the removal of rights and protections for workers, removal of food safety rules and regulations, and business will be allowed to continue to pollute not only with sewage but other pollutants and chemicals into our waterways and rivers etc. As for the NHS, I think it's fairly obvious where we are headed and as for social care - be it in the community or care-home - well, the groundwork is already laid. If you cannot afford it, you will get the bare minimum.

I have absolutely no hope for the future, at all. Government is working hard on its propaganda and too many believe what is being said is the truth.

... and when the last boatload of immigrants offloads on our shores, people will discover that Austerity is still the name of the game, and nothing changes. The £millions / billions 'saved' in accommodating them will not be ploughed into public services.

MaizieD Wed 01-Feb-23 11:27:30

I think Leave voters are 'aware', but don't connect the government's corruption and chaos with Brexit.

There are Leave voters who claim to be intelligent. How can the fact that they elected this truly disgusting government to 'get Brexit done' be unconnected in their minds with Brexit?

Mamie Wed 01-Feb-23 11:30:49

To be honest I am still struggling to process the image engendered by the earlier post up thread.
"Head down, bum up, and work towards a fair trading agreement."
🤔

Zoejory Wed 01-Feb-23 11:41:41

MaizieD

^I think Leave voters are 'aware', but don't connect the government's corruption and chaos with Brexit.^

There are Leave voters who claim to be intelligent. How can the fact that they elected this truly disgusting government to 'get Brexit done' be unconnected in their minds with Brexit?

I know a few Leave voters. I'd say a consultant and barrister are reasonably intelligent

I'm not sure why people think being out of the EU means we'll lose employment rights etc etc. Did the UK not introduce a lot of employment laws long before we joined?

I voted Remain

Urmstongran Wed 01-Feb-23 12:21:13

One of my acquaintances is a retired consultant paediatrician who weighed up the pro’s and con’s presented at the time of the Referendum and voted to Leave. Like me, no regrets.

NotSpaghetti Wed 01-Feb-23 12:21:46

Where are the OP statistics ftom though?
I can't find them.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Feb-23 12:23:28

I think other factors are muddying the water still. WFH, high gas prices etc - you all know what they are - just look at Europe too.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Feb-23 12:26:38

Apologies NotSpaghetti - that figure was told to Kay Burley yesterday on SKY news by Jacob Rees Mogg who knows his stuff. Kay pressed him several times about Brexit benefits and he answered her questions thoroughly and politely (as he always does).

Siope Wed 01-Feb-23 12:31:09

Urmstongran, no, other factors - which, as you point out, affect other countries - are not muddying the waters, otherwise there would not be such a stark difference in British economic and social performance.

Can you please provide a source (an evidence based one, not GBNews or a random bod on Twitter) for the figures you quote in your OP.

Grantanow Wed 01-Feb-23 12:37:11

There have been no discernible benefits from Brexit for ordinary people, not did Rees-Mogg manage to dream any up when he was Minister for Brexit Opportunities (or was it Silly Walks?) and there is no sign of future benefits. Most of the trade deals done are carbon copies of what we already enjoyed in the EU, we are still paying significant sums to the EU (rightly) to honour past commitments and there is no prospect of a US trade deal. The NI protocol is a disaster which Johnson completely denied and we lost the valuable skills of EU who went home in droves. And we have added to the costs faced by SME businesses exporting to the EU, some of whom are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy as a result. Brexit was mis-sold on the ridiculous delusions of sovereignty and anti-immigration, immigration which we need to support the NHS and other industries.

Grantanow Wed 01-Feb-23 12:38:21

EU workers, I should have typed.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Feb-23 12:41:35

We were in the EU for over 40 years. As I’ve said, this uncoupling will be a journey not a quick ‘event’. I’m a patient soul. Let’s see where we are in a few years’ time and then judge. Doomsters at the time we’re saying the sky would fall in. It didn’t. Most people haven’t gained or lost anything discernible since Brexit. I’m convinced good things will happen yet to the benefit of the UK.

MayBee70 Wed 01-Feb-23 12:45:48

I don’t recall the leave campaign telling us that it would take years to reap any benefits ( and I have been listening to some of the debates that took place at the time to refresh my memory: in fact, Gisela Stewart, on this very forum, told us that our energy bills would be reduced if we left the EU).