Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another child killed in dog attack

(293 Posts)
tickingbird Tue 31-Jan-23 22:08:55

I have just heard on the news that a 4 yr old girl has been killed by a dog in a garden earlier today. Just horrific. It’s happening more and more it seems. Poor child.

crazyH Tue 31-Jan-23 22:11:21

Oh no 😫😢

Urmstongran Tue 31-Jan-23 22:20:15

In her own back garden, in Milton Keynes. Horrific.
RIP little one. x

henetha Tue 31-Jan-23 23:29:16

Again! Absolutely horrifying.
So very sad.

Chestnut Wed 01-Feb-23 00:06:46

We can weep until the cows come home at all these tragic, senseless deaths, but this will keep happening unless they bring in strong legislation on the breeding and keeping of dogs. I remember campaigning for that back in the 1990s. Nothing was done then and here we are 30 years later and things keep getting worse. How many children have been torn to death by dogs since the 1990s? The politicians (dog lovers presumably) have blood on their hands. This could have been dealt with long ago, and that makes me very angry and despairing at the same time.

Kate1949 Wed 01-Feb-23 00:16:36

Chestnut I'm not some sure people who own dogs would adhere to legislation. How would it be policed?They can't keep track of every dog.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Feb-23 03:55:48

Kate they I presume we mean the government could bring a lot heavier legislation around
a) the breeding
b) the owning
Breeders need to be vetted as hard as gun owners are, they need to be treated as a business and anyone found breeding who isn’t licensed is heavily fined and shut down immediately The RSPCA or other should be visiting Breeders at least annually Many dogs are now breed for various ‘trendy’ customer needs ie shorter nosed, bandier legs bigger stronger etc etc needs to stop, so bad for the poor dog and
inbreeding can cause aggression etc
Dog owners should have to have a annual licence and not a £1
Dogs should be on leads except in certain designated areas.
Every dog over a certain size ie Bullies etc should be muzzled when out
Every town should have a dog warden, we did have, but long gone, we ve got lots of men dressed in black looking like they’re out of ghost busters walking around to pounce on motorists who stay one minute over their parking time though
None of this would necessarily help a little child in their own back garden but we don’t know the details breed etc
There need much more publicity about dog owning Remember all the clunk click adverts and the ‘be careful who you sleep with’ etc Public awareness adverts
I could go on and on but I need to get back to sleep

My last dog was such a sweetheart she literally wouldn’t have hurt a fly she was a pretty little cross breed mistake and so kind

Joseanne Wed 01-Feb-23 07:00:56

What breed was it?

BlueBelle Wed 01-Feb-23 07:16:47

No information yet joseanne
Sorry for the long previous post, middle of the night, wide awake and so upset to read about it, of course I haven’t the answers but something has to be done there are just too many injuries and deaths now

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Feb-23 07:22:45

RIP little mite 🌸

Joseanne Wed 01-Feb-23 07:24:42

I think you're absolutely right Bluebelle, but first things first would be banning certain breeds. I'm sorry, but it always seems to be the same types we hear of that suddenly flip and kill.
I'm off out now to walk the moor for an hour. In the unlikely event I see children or an elderly person coming towards me, I will call him, (golden retriever), back and put him on the lead. Never take chances.

argymargy Wed 01-Feb-23 07:27:08

Presumably it’s happening more often because there are so many dogs generally, ie it’s just maths. I was thinking the other day about the fact that when I was young nobody picked up dog poo because it wasn’t required. Can you imagine what the streets would be like if that was the case now?!

Doodledog Wed 01-Feb-23 08:56:13

When I was young most of our family pets were ‘mistakes’. Dogs were mongrels and cats half wild. Only people who bred or showed dogs had pedigree ones, which were fairly rare other than working dogs such as sheepdogs and gun dogs. Puppies and kittens were readily available as owners wanted rid of them, and overbreeding was rare.

The result was a stronger gene pool, and little by way of inbred problems for the pets. But - every street corner had poo on it, dogs roamed the streets, often fighting and snarling, female dogs or cats on heat would be chased and effectively gang raped (I saw this happen to a cat on my way to school and I was traumatised - never mind the poor cat).

Now pets are microchipped and dogs are only out on leads. There is no poo on corners where is was horrible but got swept away by the rain, or by the street cleaners we never see now either, but I nstead it is in poo bags stuck up trees. Many cats live unnatural lives indoors.

The opportunities for mongrels to be created are few and far between, yet people still want pets, so breeders flourish.

What’s the answer?

Dickens Wed 01-Feb-23 08:57:03

Chestnut

We can weep until the cows come home at all these tragic, senseless deaths, but this will keep happening unless they bring in strong legislation on the breeding and keeping of dogs. I remember campaigning for that back in the 1990s. Nothing was done then and here we are 30 years later and things keep getting worse. How many children have been torn to death by dogs since the 1990s? The politicians (dog lovers presumably) have blood on their hands. This could have been dealt with long ago, and that makes me very angry and despairing at the same time.

We don't know the circumstances yet around this latest tragedy. But, in general, I think government(s) are wary of upsetting voters with the legislation that would be needed to put greater safeguards in place.

And, as others have pointed out, the responsible owners (and I think there are a few posting on GN) would be the ones adhering to legislation - and they are not the people who are the problem.

There have been instances where children have been injured and killed by their own family's pet, and it sometimes comes to light that the animal was a 'rescue' dog - the very fact of it being a rescue animal might indicate that its previous history makes it unsuitable to live in an environment where there are children - children are also unpredictable in their behaviour and can't be expected to understand animal 'psychology'. We can record the facts of a dog's history, but the animal can't tell you how it feels, it cannot convey its trauma.

And then there's the breeders...

I don't know what the answer is. But the statistics seem to indicate it's a particular type of dog that is most often involved in these attacks. The type that "wouldn't harm a fly" and is "so gentle and loving". Until it's aggravated by something and then another person becomes the victim of its powerful body and teeth...

LRavenscroft Wed 01-Feb-23 09:07:50

Someone I knew had a very spoilt Rotweiler. It was an ordinary semi where the owners lived but when the baby came along the dog changed from day to night and had to be rehomed as it started to behave quite aggressively towards the baby. The parents lived in fear.

Zoejory Wed 01-Feb-23 09:09:09

I have to stick up for rescue dogs! We've had 9 rescues over the years, mainly mixed breeds. Couple of greyhounds, Jack Russells. All beautiful and gentle dogs who have given us so much love and joy throughout our lives.

Rescues will not house a dog with children under 10. They have very strict vetting.

This case with the little girl is just tragic. Horrendous situation.

But millions of dogs give happiness to millions of people.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Feb-23 09:15:01

Until we know what breed of dog was involved, speculation on whether breeding regulations would have made a difference in this case is pointless. But no responsible person allows a young child and a dog to be together in circumstances where the dog could attack and intervention is not possible. And children have to be taught from an early age how to behave around dogs.

Iam64 Wed 01-Feb-23 09:15:53

I’m one of the majority dog owners on gransnet - we are responsible.
I read this news with a heavy heart. We don’t know the breed or circumstances yet. My dog trainer friend was expressing concern this week about the number of dogs with behavioural problems they’re being asked to ‘sort out’. She’s been working with dogs for 35 years, including 15 years with Guide Dogs. She’d done w sessions with an xl bully then told the family (with 3 small children) she couldn’t ‘sort’ its aggression and advised the re-home. The dog was vet checked after her first visit in her advice, no health problems were underpinning the behaviours.
I have two dogs and in the past had 2 of my own plus a foster dog. I realise I could be accused of contributing to the dog population but I can only stress mine are on lead around people and these days, around other dogs. Since lock down, the dog population in my village has grown enormously. Mostly untrained, no recall, yappy dogs lunging at the end of their leads (upsetting my young lab).
I’m beginning to think we have to return to an expensive licence, say £250 a year. Breeders to be registered. No importing street dogs from abroad. As in Germany, owners must attend training classes. There’s little point doing a six week puppy course - adolescent dogs need training.

Iam64 Wed 01-Feb-23 09:18:05

Zoejory, I’ve had six rescues and fostered for a breed charity. My rescues were fabulous once the settled. Only one foster was a real challenge but she was manageable

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Feb-23 09:31:42

Here is another dog owner with a heavy heart.

My thoughts are -

Compulsory dog classes for adolescent dogs until they will Come to command.
Leave on command
Etc.

Dog walkers should not walk any more than 2 large or 4 small dogs at any time.

Banning imported street dogs - they have so many, many issues.

Dogs kept on lead where children are playing.

I am sure that there are other rules that can be applied.

I have noticed the great increase in unsuitable dog ownership since lockdown.

An example of this is a neighbour who purchased a lab, that frankly appears to have had zero training since she arrived in the household. Labs are probably one of the most energetic dogs and take a long time to mature. They make delightful family pets but left to run amok they are a pain in the proverbial. This dog runs delightedly at people taking a flying leap and more than once has knocked people down. The poor animal is now on her own from approx 8am until 5pm every day since the family have returned to work.

lemsip Wed 01-Feb-23 09:47:14

anyone else watch 'Dogs behaving Badly '. on channel 5.

a real eye opener on what problems some have with there dogs that are soon corrected with the expert showing how.

Kate1949 Wed 01-Feb-23 09:47:47

Poor child. I'm not sure how owners know their dog 'would never hurt a fly'. They are animals. This country is obsessed with dogs. I have seen people on TV pleading poverty, saying they can't feed their children and have to use food banks and there are dogs running around which presumably have to be fed. I don't know why anyone would want one and before I get pounced on, I know I'm a lone voice, and as I've been told, not a nice person because I don't like dogs

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Feb-23 09:56:15

Your feelings about dogs are well known Kate. My life has been greatly enriched by my dogs, all rescues. A properly trained and cared for dog is man’s best friend. Unconditional love, and they would give their life for their owner.

Oldwoman70 Wed 01-Feb-23 10:19:00

This is tragic news - one can only guess at the pain and terror that poor child went through. We don't know the circumstances of this attack and I wouldn't be among those who are automatically blaming the child's parents/carers.

I freely admit I am not a dog person (I was attacked by a dog when a small child) and am very nervous around them.

I have found I can no longer walk in my local park because of the number of dogs running off lead with the owners/dog walkers concentrating on their phones and not watching the dogs. Having one bounding up to me and sometimes even jumping up on me is a nerve racking experience and being told "he is just being friendly" is no comfort!

tickingbird Wed 01-Feb-23 10:19:18

I probably won’t be popular for saying this but, in many cases, it is down to the owners. A certain type love these hugely muscled, strong jawed dogs. These people aren’t responsible, don’t understand that the dog is a sentient being, not a machine. They treat them as some kind of weapon, bodyguard, status symbol. Then leave children alone with the dog. We can never legislate against unintelligent, irresponsible people.

As for banning certain breeds - it doesn’t work. When these dogs are analysed they are a mixture of all sorts because the people doing the breeding mix all sorts together in an attempt to come up with the biggest, fiercest dog they can. I read a few weeks ago that some are breeding these huge bully XL’s with Cane Corso’s and Great Danes. They don’t know what they’re doing and the end result is almost the equivalent of having a Lion on a lead.

I don’t know where it will end and I have no idea how to stop it. Dog licences won’t make any difference and what can a dog warden do when he’s confronted by a huge dog in the hands of an owner who’s quite likely to tell him to F… off!?