Gransnet forums

News & politics

Zelensky visits Britain

(100 Posts)
maddyone Wed 08-Feb-23 13:46:33

God bless this man and his poor beleaguered nation. Zelensky made a powerful speech to MPs and Peers in Westminster Hall, thanking Britain for what we have done. He asked for planes to defeat Putin. Putin must be defeated because if he is not, he will not stop at Ukraine. NATO countries have been under spending for years on their proposed budgets, shame on them. We all saw the writing on the wall, the killings in Salisbury, the killing of Alexander Litvinenko using a cup of tea laced with polonium in a London hotel, the annexation of Crimea, the forces amassed on Ukraine’s borders whilst telling the world that no invasion was intended. Putin does not respect borders, even the borders of our own country. He must be defeated.

MayBee70 Wed 08-Feb-23 13:51:30

There’s a very good interview with Marina Litvinenko on The Rest is Politics Leading podcast.

CatsCatsCats Wed 08-Feb-23 13:54:47

Zelensky is a wonderful man, a true hero.

I wish him all the support he wants and needs to defeat Putin. And he is so right about Putin not stopping at Ukraine. Those who believe otherwise have their heads in the sand, or are guilty of short-termism.

maddyone Wed 08-Feb-23 13:59:12

CatsCatsCats you are right. We must learn from the past. Appeasement didn’t work in the thirties and it won’t work now. Bullies cannot be appeased. Putin is a bully and completely amoral.

AGAA4 Wed 08-Feb-23 14:46:48

Putin is a war criminal and is using thugs to fight his war. I just wish we could give Ukraine everything they need to defeat this monster and his acolytes.

Pittcity Wed 08-Feb-23 18:38:59

Zelensky is a great leader and puts ours to shame.
Brilliant speech and so unassuming.

henetha Wed 08-Feb-23 18:45:59

Zelensky is so brave and impressive. It's vital that we support him in his fight against evil . Who next if Ukraine is defeated?

HousePlantQueen Wed 08-Feb-23 19:25:39

Good to see the welcome given to Zelensky today, and that Sunak took the lead as PM, for once, and bloody Johnson was not trying to upstage him. I wonder if Johnson's buddy, you know the one who is the son of a KGB agent? The one who is now in the House of Lords? Was he there applauding Zelensky I wonder. Johnson seriously needs investigating.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Feb-23 19:35:51

Zelensky is an inspiration to the Ukrainian people. We must send everything we can. In time, if Russia become emboldened, they will attack Poland. Putin won’t stop. We have to stop him while we can.

Some blogs in the UK are saying “why us? Why little UK in a recession? It’s not OUR war”.

Well if we don’t watch out, Europe will get dragged into this, via NATO, with boots on the ground next time.

We pussyfoot around this at our peril.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Feb-23 19:37:39

I loved that Zelensky, on meeting the King, said “all our fighter pilots are kings”.

Well said Sir.

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Feb-23 19:50:08

I have tears of admiration every time I hear or read about what Zelensky has said, and now reading "All our fighter pilots are kings" .... what an inspirational leader.

Urmstongran Wed 08-Feb-23 19:58:13

I remember when Zelensky became the Ukraine PM.
“A former celebrity comedian?” laughed the press & media.

‘Cometh the hour, cometh the man’.

Ukraine couldn’t wish for a better leader.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Feb-23 20:15:47

henetha

Zelensky is so brave and impressive. It's vital that we support him in his fight against evil . Who next if Ukraine is defeated?

Yes, this and everything you have all said.

We mustn't forget the shooting down of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 (MH17/MAS17) either.
Nor Crimea.

Where next if Putin is not stopped?

ExperiencedNotOld Wed 08-Feb-23 21:07:29

There’s a wonderful picture of him in a helicopter with Rishi, both laughing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him laugh before.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 09:58:51

I think it’s wrong of Johnson saying we should send fighter jets. That would mean that we are in direct conflict with Russia. Yet again the man is behaving like a loose cannon and is fantasying about being a Great War leader. Zelensky is brilliant at playing people off against each other. I think it’s wrong that he allowed Johnson to undermine Sunak: the former should have kept a low profile (as if). Just when you want him to just go off to America and make more millions giving talks he finds the time to do his proper job….

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Feb-23 10:09:02

MayBee70

I think it’s wrong of Johnson saying we should send fighter jets. That would mean that we are in direct conflict with Russia. Yet again the man is behaving like a loose cannon and is fantasying about being a Great War leader. Zelensky is brilliant at playing people off against each other. I think it’s wrong that he allowed Johnson to undermine Sunak: the former should have kept a low profile (as if). Just when you want him to just go off to America and make more millions giving talks he finds the time to do his proper job….

President Zelensky requested (pleaded) for fighter jets, PM Sunak has said nothing is off of the table

President Zelensky also credited and thanked Mr,Johnson for bringing together Countries to support Ukraine when it was first invaded.

I am not a Mr.Johnson fan, there are many many things he has done wrong, but his support for Ukraine is not one of them.

President Putin has to be stopped, it will be down to NATO and World Leaders to decide how and when.

maddyone Thu 09-Feb-23 10:12:19

It doesn’t matter what BJ says though does it? He’s no longer the Prime Minister and he doesn’t make the decisions and Zelensky knows this. Whether or not we should send fighter jets is a completely different matter. It’s very tricky isn’t it? On balance I think we do need to fully support Ukraine. We had to commit to full support with WW2 and it may well be that we need to commit to full support now. This war must be won because if it is not, the consequences for Europe could be extremely undesirable. Where next if Putin takes Ukraine? Poland? Estonia? Latvia? Finland? It’s unimaginable.

Dibbydod Thu 09-Feb-23 10:20:59

Must say I admire President Zelensky immensely, what a great leader he is to Ukraine , he certainly will go down in history . I’m all for the USA & the West to give them all the necessary equipment & resources to win this war , whatever that takes . Ukraine didn’t ask to be put in this position , Putin should be stopped once and for all , Putin is Evil on this Earth .

Jaylou Thu 09-Feb-23 10:21:53

What worries me though is when Putin goes/dies/killed will there be a Putin MkII moving into take lead. Oh for a Zelensky MkII in Russia to take the initiative.

MaizieD Thu 09-Feb-23 10:26:01

I am not a Mr.Johnson fan, there are many many things he has done wrong, but his support for Ukraine is not one of them.

Johnson's 'support' for Ukraine was just a load of grandstanding and nothing that, I hope, any other British PM would have done.

I'm afraid I can't get over Johnson's close links with Russia over the years; Russian interference in the Brexit referendum campaign, Johnson's suppression of the Russia Report, his ennobling of the son of a KGB agent, the enormous Russian donations to the tory party and the extraordinary tardiness with which sanctions were imposed on Russian oligarchs with assets in the UK, slow enough to give them time to move out ass much as possible.

He's been playing his usual dirty double game

MaizieD Thu 09-Feb-23 10:27:06

'... nothing that any other........ PM wouldn't have done'

henetha Thu 09-Feb-23 11:09:50

I worry about that too, Jaylou. Would the end of Putin necessarily mean the end of conflict with Russia?

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:13:51

If we send fighter jets we have to send people to fly them. Surely Ukrainian pilots can’t be trained up in the time available? This is a slippery slope imo.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:18:39

MayBee70

If we send fighter jets we have to send people to fly them. Surely Ukrainian pilots can’t be trained up in the time available? This is a slippery slope imo.

Ukrainian pilots and other forces are in the U.K. and other NATO Countries already, President Zelensky visited some here yesterday with the PM.

As has been posted upthread, it’s not the flying of the planes, it’s the maintenance and upkeep which is integral to safety.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:20:06

MayBee70

We have been on a slippery slope since President Putin annexed Crimea, doing nothing is not feasible it would give him the green light to continue where and when he desired.