Gransnet forums

News & politics

Zelensky visits Britain

(101 Posts)
maddyone Wed 08-Feb-23 13:46:33

God bless this man and his poor beleaguered nation. Zelensky made a powerful speech to MPs and Peers in Westminster Hall, thanking Britain for what we have done. He asked for planes to defeat Putin. Putin must be defeated because if he is not, he will not stop at Ukraine. NATO countries have been under spending for years on their proposed budgets, shame on them. We all saw the writing on the wall, the killings in Salisbury, the killing of Alexander Litvinenko using a cup of tea laced with polonium in a London hotel, the annexation of Crimea, the forces amassed on Ukraine’s borders whilst telling the world that no invasion was intended. Putin does not respect borders, even the borders of our own country. He must be defeated.

Normandygirl Thu 09-Feb-23 22:06:34

Sparklefizz

I have tears of admiration every time I hear or read about what Zelensky has said, and now reading "All our fighter pilots are kings" .... what an inspirational leader.

Zelensky’s staring role in the horrific drama of Ukraine certainly deserves an Oscar! His performance has raised more money then Avatar and Titanic combined, and he never even broke a sweat in his favourite military chic sweat suit! What a guy.

www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/03/revealed-anti-oligarch-ukrainian-president-offshore-connections-volodymyr-zelenskiy

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:13:11

Normandygirl
Weird comment from you.
Zelensky has been the best President that Ukraine could possibly have throughout all this.Not broke a sweat? What planet are you on?

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:18:02

His financial dealings may not be squeaky clean, many politicians are the same, but he’s been a magnificent leader for the people of Ukraine.
A corrupt politician may have jetted off out of there the week after Russia invaded, taking his family and wealth with him.
He didn’t.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 22:56:26

ronib

Around 300000 troops in all estimated to have died. Still not over.

How many grieving widows, mothers, fathers and children?

The Archbishop of the Russian Church has no choice I imagine in his alleged support of this ill advised war.

At least our religious leaders can speak out if they want to. Can they do that in Russia with no repercussions?

Normandygirl Fri 10-Feb-23 09:25:08

Oreo

Normandygirl
Weird comment from you.
Zelensky has been the best President that Ukraine could possibly have throughout all this.Not broke a sweat? What planet are you on?

I am from the planet that isn't brainwashed by the media into thinking that the situation in Ukraine is as simple as " Putin, bad, Ukraine good", I know it is much, much more complicated than that . I am not persuaded that receiving the corrupt leader of the most corrupt government in Europe and hailing him as some sort of hero is helping the people who are really suffering in this conflict in any way.

henetha Fri 10-Feb-23 09:48:55

It is probably more complicated than we know, and there maybe some financial dealings which would not pass muster, but it is a fact that Zelensky is the right leader in the right place at the right time, in the same way that Winston Churchill was.
Such men are not saints, but they are dedicated to saving their country from the aggressor. Surely you agree that Putin is the aggressor, Normandygirl ?

Skydancer Fri 10-Feb-23 10:04:20

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgPJeYZaOU
Gravitas Plus: Did NATO push Ukraine into war?
This is worth viewing.

Grantanow Fri 10-Feb-23 10:05:45

Ukraine needs support - that is clear and I think some Western nations like the UK and USA are helping. Others are slow to help for a variety of reasons. But what strikes me is that the UK government can find money for this and the Turkey/Syria earthquake relief but can't find money for the NHS staff. Surely it's not either/or. It's a political decision.

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Feb-23 10:28:36

Déjà vu 🤔 for answer see other thread.

ronib Fri 10-Feb-23 10:50:51

Can anyone recommend sources of information on Ukrainian war? I have looked at Turbulent Times, Pravda, Conservative Woman, Guardian, Daily Sceptic and Spiked for articles.

In addition there are numerous scholarly articles giving the history of Ukraine available online.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Feb-23 11:10:32

Zelensky’s speech to the EU was amazing and incredibly emotional😢.

Zelensky showed his emotion at the end.

maddyone Fri 10-Feb-23 11:10:56

Surely the most corrupt government in Europe is Russia?

biglouis Fri 10-Feb-23 11:11:40

receiving the corrupt leader of the most corrupt government in Europe and hailing him as some sort of hero

the UK government can find money for this and the Turkey/Syria earthquake relief but can't find money for the NHS staff

Yes the money can always be found down the back of the sofa for outsiders.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Feb-23 11:38:05

Normandygirl

Oreo

Normandygirl
Weird comment from you.

I am from the planet that isn't brainwashed by the media into thinking that the situation in Ukraine is as simple as " Putin, bad, Ukraine good", I know it is much, much more complicated than that . I am not persuaded that receiving the corrupt leader of the most corrupt government in Europe and hailing him as some sort of hero is helping the people who are really suffering in this conflict in any way.

Oh dear Normandygirl

Shall the outside world just leave Ukraine and its people to be massacred by President Putin and his Wagner Group Mercenaries?

President Putin needs to be stopped PDQ.

maddyone Fri 10-Feb-23 11:54:01

Absolutely GrannyGravy. It’s bad enough for Ukraine but if he managed to take Ukraine then what would happen next is unthinkable.

maddyone Fri 10-Feb-23 11:55:00

Apart from the poor, suffering people of Ukraine, it’s actually in our own interests to try to stop him.

NanKate Sat 11-Feb-23 21:18:27

In years to come future generations will say

‘why were so many countries slow in giving Ukraine more weapons and fighter jets?’

How many more people will be killed and homes/cities destroyed whilst we dither and make excuses?

Action is needed NOW!

ronib Sat 11-Feb-23 22:17:31

NanKate I remember, as a child feeling real sorry at the sight of rows and rows of headstones in cemeteries for the fallen of the first and second world wars. And I asked why?
I later found out that my grandmother had lost her three young brothers in the First World War and I felt a sense of her loss. And I was sad.

ronib Mon 13-Feb-23 05:41:06

Conservative Woman 13 February
Stop arming Ukraine now, intelligence veterans warn Biden.
Article by Serena Wylde
Well worth reading.

Sparklefizz Mon 13-Feb-23 08:43:48

Kyiv is only 1200 miles from London. It's a sobering thought. Putin must be stopped.

spottybook Mon 13-Feb-23 09:11:38

We have also read this article. It does make interesting reading indeed. It seems the Ukraine were not quite the innocent party as we have been led to believe.

spottybook Mon 13-Feb-23 09:13:39

My above post was in reply to ronib.

NanKate Mon 13-Feb-23 11:58:57

ronib what a sad story and one that would have been repeated millions of times.

If we let Putin win he won’t stop at Ukraine. We have a very under sourced military in the U.K., we could not fight back successfully, so imo we have to beat this murderous tyrant NOW.

maddyone Mon 13-Feb-23 12:19:58

If we let Putin win he won’t stop at Ukraine.

Absolutely. And therefore we need to provide the support Ukraine needs.

ronib Mon 13-Feb-23 15:07:16

NanKate if we have an under resourced military, why are we giving our equipment to Ukraine is one thought?
As for we could not fight back successfully, I thought the whole point of being part of NATO was that we would be helped?
I must point out that as a student, I read some of the work of Karl Marx but I am not a communist.
I don’t have a position either way on this question of Ukraine v Russia which is probably why trying to see ‘in the round’ seems at times to be a frustrating exercise.