Gransnet forums

News & politics

An article I never expected to see in the Daily Telegraph "Brexit is finally dead – and the Tory party will soon suffer the same fate"

(102 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 14-Feb-23 14:50:15

😲😲😲

......the fact remains that Brexit is dead. The only thing left to do is the political equivalent of disposing of the body. This may start with furtive steps nobody can contest: reviving the Erasmus exchange program and co-operating with Brussels in new areas like energy. Meanwhile, Parliament will likely drop works in progress, such as the Bill to take thousands of Brussels laws off the statute books by 2023.
Then, under pressure from big business, the Government might well seek to relieve labour market shortages by, for example, expanding the agricultural workers scheme. It may even introduce primary legislation to automatically update UK standards in line with EU changes.

(Archived so not behind a paywall)

archive.vn/kpx53#selection-1223.4-1223.78

I have no words!

Katie59 Thu 27-Apr-23 18:07:06

varian

Would you still call yourself a Leaver Katie59 or have you now understood how much damage brexit has caused to our country?

Sorry forgot to use “ “ for the first paragraph

Leavers really did believe in Little Britain isolated, - I didn’t.

MaizieD Wed 26-Apr-23 21:44:38

varian

Would you still call yourself a Leaver Katie59 or have you now understood how much damage brexit has caused to our country?

I don't think that Katie59 voted for Leave.

I think you'll find that she was quoting from Curtaintwitcher's post, varian

vegansrock Wed 26-Apr-23 19:57:15

Brexit it is not the only reason for us being much poorer, but it IS one of the reasons - Brexit supporters should own that , even though we were all told it would make us better off with better public services etc , that went well……

Fleurpepper Wed 26-Apr-23 19:27:18

British citizens have to accept that they are going to be (much) poorer! Was THAT written on the bleeding red bus !?!

varian Wed 26-Apr-23 19:20:47

Katie59 Wed 26-Apr-23 11:00:05

Leavers do not wish to sever all ties with Europe. We want a relationship which allows us to be in charge of our own affairs without interference from outsiders (and I include America in that statement).

Most did, now they are finding out that living in our own little bubble has its downsides and cherry picking does not exist in the real world.

Katie59 Wed 26-Apr-23 10:56:11

Grantanow

And now Sunak hopes to get the EU to permit Brits to use EU passport gates to speed things up. When we were in the EU such negotiation was unnecessary. Brexit is not going well at all.

The EU will want reciprocal privileges which may not go down well with some.

Katie59 Wed 26-Apr-23 10:54:07

“It may even introduce primary legislation to automatically update UK standards in line with EU changes.”

I will believe that when it happens!.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 26-Apr-23 10:21:04

Grantanow

And now Sunak hopes to get the EU to permit Brits to use EU passport gates to speed things up. When we were in the EU such negotiation was unnecessary. Brexit is not going well at all.

And are we surprised?!! If such a (sarcasm alert) huge majority of us voted to become a third country, why should the EU not treat us as one for passport control purposes? I expressed a need for a head-in-hands emoji in an earlier post, and I think Brexit probably deserves one more than any other current issue!

Grantanow Wed 26-Apr-23 09:57:00

varian Mon 24-Apr-23 13:43:56

Another unexpected article from The Telegraph admitting to a brexit downside

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/24/brexit-blamed-chief-execs-leaving-british-companies/

volver3 Thu 20-Apr-23 19:42:56

Well people in hell want ice water but they don't always get it.

Curtaintwitcher Thu 20-Apr-23 19:35:54

Brexit was not a mistake. Leaving the EU was the right decision. The problem all along has been the government. Leaving the EU was never what they wanted and they have desperately been doing their best to thwart it. I'm sure that if David Cameron had known what the result was going to be, he would never have held the referendum.

Leavers do not wish to sever all ties with Europe. We want a relationship which allows us to be in charge of our own affairs without interference from outsiders (and I include America in that statement).

varian Thu 20-Apr-23 14:59:07

Anyone remember the promise that voting Leave would mean cheaper food?

link.news.inews.co.uk/view/626bacc9f2d729fb4f0ca9c2il4ac.64y/77ddd7cf

Casdon Mon 17-Apr-23 19:37:16

Fleurpepper

Casdon

Fleurpepper

Again, (and again), it is a worldwide problem - and this is why Brexit makes it so much worse for the UK-

which has to compete for drugs (and so much other stuff too) with countries which are part of big Unions, like the EU, have no issues with transport and import red tape, no channel to cross, and higher or even much higher value currencies.

When there is a shortage, you prioritise people in your own group, and where it is easy to export, frictionless, and no messing with foreign currency, as said, especially at low value.

You’re not right on every count Fleurpepper. Drugs are also made in the UK and exported to Europe and wider, it’s not one way traffic. Also, small can equal fleet of foot as well as less able to bargain. So yes, we are disadvantaged by not being in the EU but there’s no need to over-exaggerate.

90% of drugs used in UK are imported- 45% from the EU. Essential chemicals too.

The EU is not the only supplier available for lots of drugs or chemicals though. I don’t disagree with the thrust of your argument, but I do think you are exaggerating the position.

multicolourswapshop Mon 17-Apr-23 19:29:34

That’s me joined, my friends FREEDOM ! like it or lump it as they say grin

Fleurpepper Mon 17-Apr-23 19:05:19

How is 10% versus 90% exagerated???

Fleurpepper Mon 17-Apr-23 19:04:40

Casdon

Fleurpepper

Again, (and again), it is a worldwide problem - and this is why Brexit makes it so much worse for the UK-

which has to compete for drugs (and so much other stuff too) with countries which are part of big Unions, like the EU, have no issues with transport and import red tape, no channel to cross, and higher or even much higher value currencies.

When there is a shortage, you prioritise people in your own group, and where it is easy to export, frictionless, and no messing with foreign currency, as said, especially at low value.

You’re not right on every count Fleurpepper. Drugs are also made in the UK and exported to Europe and wider, it’s not one way traffic. Also, small can equal fleet of foot as well as less able to bargain. So yes, we are disadvantaged by not being in the EU but there’s no need to over-exaggerate.

90% of drugs used in UK are imported- 45% from the EU. Essential chemicals too.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 17-Apr-23 18:54:10

Head in hands emoji!!

varian Mon 17-Apr-23 18:36:38

You are so right Grantanow

Enthusiastic brexiter Sunak has finally acknowledged what we Remainers always knew- that the UK in the EU had the best of both worlds

Grantanow Mon 06-Mar-23 13:54:31

Sunak's statement that NI has the unique benefit of being in both the UK and EU free markets was quite telling. All of us enjoyed that double access until people were misled by the Buffoon and others into voting to leave. We can only hope that grown up politicians will be able over time to negotiate to regain some of the advantages thrown away but we shall never get back to the position achieved by Margaret Thatcher. Economics is what counts, not flag-waving.

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 11:47:21

Tomatoes and cucumbers are the last of our worries tbh.

Water purification chemicals are much much more important- primordial even.

Fleurpepper Sat 04-Mar-23 11:46:28

Casdon

Fleurpepper

Of course it does go both ways. But there are many things that cannot be produced in the UK, parts which are part of production chains that are not or cannot be produced in the UK and raw materials and chemicals, etc, that are not available in UK. As said, when there are world shortages, those in close alliance and close geographical unhindered proximity will just supply each other.

Grantanow Sat 04-Mar-23 10:44:54

One clear reason to reject Rees-Mogg's bonfire of EU rules Bill is that UK - EU trade would be helped by identical rules in both markets to reduce inspections and red tape. This ludicrous Bill is a massive step away from that.

Casdon Sun 19-Feb-23 11:25:11

Fleurpepper