Gransnet forums

News & politics

Minimum age for marriage is now 18

(42 Posts)
foxie48 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:16:53

The Marriage and Civil Partnership (Minimum Age) Act 2022, which gained Royal Assent in April last year, has come into force today (27 February). It means that 16 and 17 year olds will no longer be allowed to marry or enter a civil partnership, even if they have parental consent.
Whereas in Scotland there has been consultation on reducing the age when you can legally change your sex from 18 to 16.
What age do you think we should recognise that someone is mature enough to make like changing choices like marriage etc?
I'm of the opinion that 18 is the absolute minimum age and even at 18 I didn't have enough experience of life to make well thought out decisions. What do others think?

Iam64 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:22:32

I’m pleased with this change . It’s unlikely to stop all early marriages but sends a clear messages to those communities who see 13 as old enough to marry their girls off thst legally this isn’t allowed here

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:29:41

Blimey that one passed me by entirely.

Mind you, don’t most people simply set up shop together now before they eventually marry, and presumably parents have no say over that.

So I guess it may be sending a message to those communities that see marriage as the be all and end all for women, but not entirely sure it will work.

But in principle I am for it. But teenagers always know best☺️

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Feb-23 09:33:04

FYI, there’s an existing thread on this in chat.

foxie48 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:34:27

Oh thanks, I hadn't noticed it!

Smileless2012 Tue 28-Feb-23 09:36:27

Passed me by too Whitewavemark. I think it's a good thing but as you say the majority live together before getting married, and seem to be older now too.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Feb-23 10:25:50

Here it is
www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1321662-Legal-marriage-age

Norah Tue 28-Feb-23 14:33:03

Iam64

I’m pleased with this change . It’s unlikely to stop all early marriages but sends a clear messages to those communities who see 13 as old enough to marry their girls off thst legally this isn’t allowed here

The change surely sends the clear message you note.

For myself, I'm delighted we married at 16, but suppose we could have happily married the day I turned 18 - no point really.

veejay Mon 13-Mar-23 21:53:37

I married at 17 ,biggest mistake of my life
People didn't live together then before marriage.if they could .I wouldn't have married .I realised my mistake after about 6 months

MiniMoon Mon 13-Mar-23 22:07:20

I was proposed to at 17. I had enough sense to say no. I had an awful lot of living to do before I got married. He eventually moved away and we didn't keep in touch. Even at 18 I wouldn't have been ready to marry anyone.
I think it is a good move. A person is not considered an adult until 18.

paddyann54 Mon 13-Mar-23 22:37:01

I know several couples who married young 18 or younger and they have all had long happy marriages ,mind you the mortality age in some parts of Scotland is only 50 something so maybe they want to just get on with living .My OH was a month past his 20 th birthday whe we got married ,exactly a year after we met ,we've been married 48 years.
Not all young marriages fail just like all the one who marry later.In fact I know more people who split after living together for 10 years or more before marrying and they divorce within months .
One size doesn't fit all !

Callistemon21 Mon 13-Mar-23 23:01:51

One size doesn't fit all !

I will agree with that statement but think this is a sensible move. Does this just apply in England?

Aren't pupils supposed to stay in education or training until 18?

Wyllow3 Tue 14-Mar-23 00:31:00

I think it's very valuable to make very early marriages clearly illegal in the UK.
I don't really see the point in getting married/civil partnerships until children come along or if you've tried living together first tho.

Grantanow Tue 14-Mar-23 11:19:50

Those who got married at 16 and are now celebrating their golden, silver., etc., anniversaries might want to breath a sigh of relief!

NotTooOld Tue 14-Mar-23 11:30:15

Definitely a good move but 18 is still too young to marry. I married in my teens and was far too young, as was my husband. In those days no-one lived together before they got married, so marrying was the only way to be together. We divorced eventually and I met my lovely second DH, so all turned out well for me in the end. How much more sensible to give living together a try before marrying. Doesn't always work out, of course. I know a couple who were together for several years before marrying and split one year after the wedding. There are no guarantees!

Norah Tue 14-Mar-23 12:48:13

Grantanow

Those who got married at 16 and are now celebrating their golden, silver., etc., anniversaries might want to breath a sigh of relief!

Indeed.

Married over 60 yrs ago at age 16. smile

No living together first.

Riverwalk Tue 14-Mar-23 13:13:08

I support this change.

That said, one of my brother's married at 17 (16 year old girlfriend was pregnant) they've been happily together for 55 years.

He is is the only one of the five of us to have had this longevity!

Fleurpepper Tue 14-Mar-23 14:34:53

I got married at 20 and I was far too young. We had to get married, NO I was not pregnant that was before EU and we had to for immigration reasons, we could not have lived together had we not married. Still together 52 years later, but 18 is far too young and I am glad this new Law is in force, for all the girls pushed into arranged marriages mainly.

Chocolatelovinggran Tue 14-Mar-23 15:06:33

I understand the thinking behind the decision, but it did make me chortle. Only one of my children married before 30, two of them were in their forties, and one daughter has been with her OH since they were teenagers and married last year after fifteen years.
I'd like to know the ages of GN ers children marrying- I suspect few will have wed in their teens.

Grams2five Tue 14-Mar-23 16:43:15

I support the change as well. While 18 is still terribly young it’s what we consider an “adult” and so that’s the minimum. I was a younger bride at 19, and it was difficult though I wouldn’t change a thing. So far our kids have married at 27, 26, and 21. On the younger side but all are
Thriving and well. We have two unmarried as well - 22 and 30 at present.

Grantanow Tue 14-Mar-23 17:26:26

I wish I'd had a trial marriage for my first one (and I was 21). The second one (before which we lived together for a couple of years) worked out fine - 40 years and counting.

NotTooOld Tue 14-Mar-23 17:57:46

Grantanow

I wish I'd had a trial marriage for my first one (and I was 21). The second one (before which we lived together for a couple of years) worked out fine - 40 years and counting.

Looking back, it was quite cruel that 'trial marriages' were taboo in those days, very early 60s in my case. There was no birth control pill then, of course, and girls had it drummed into them that marriage must come before sex in case of an unwanted pregnancy - 'good girls just say no'. Naturally, many couples ignored this nonsense but single parents were very frowned upon and the phrase 'fallen woman' was not unknown in our part of London. Many early marriages came about for these reasons. Things are so much better now.

mokryna Tue 14-Mar-23 18:29:28

Do you remember hearing many years ago on the BBC, daughter missing, father heading for Gretna Green?
People can still get married in Scotland at the age of 16.

NotTooOld Wed 15-Mar-23 14:17:43

I remember those stories, mokryna. I wonder how many of those Gretna Green marriages survived?

Fleurpepper Wed 15-Mar-23 14:42:07

NotTooOld

Grantanow

Looking back, it was quite cruel that 'trial marriages' were taboo in those days, very early 60s in my case. There was no birth control pill then, of course, and girls had it drummed into them that marriage must come before sex in case of an unwanted pregnancy - 'good girls just say no'. Naturally, many couples ignored this nonsense but single parents were very frowned upon and the phrase 'fallen woman' was not unknown in our part of London. Many early marriages came about for these reasons. Things are so much better now.

When are you talking about? Birth control was available from the mid early 60s, and certainly freely available from the mid 60s.

Many of my friends played Russian roulette, and many got pregnant, had babies very young or one or several abortions.

Some, like me, went to their GP and said 'I am sexually active and want to do the responsible thing, please could you put me on the pill'. He knew my parents well, but shook my hand and said 'good for you, yes of course' and kept stum.