Gransnet forums

News & politics

The King evicts Harry and his wife from Frogmore!

(442 Posts)
lemsip Wed 01-Mar-23 11:52:10

The King has reportedly evicted Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from Frogmore Cottage, their residence in Windsor. Buckingham Palace let the Duke and www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1740755/royal-family-meghan-markle-prince-harry-frogmore-cottage-king-charles of Susses know about the plan to take away the property from them just days after Harry's tell-all memoir, Spare, was published worldwide, it has been claimed.

SueDonim Wed 01-Mar-23 22:47:52

Are there really 52 bedrooms at Balmoral?? shock It doesn’t look that big from the outside! They must all be about 3ft square - not enough room to swing a Corgi by its stubby tail. 🐶

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Mar-23 22:56:09

Balmoral: The castle is built from granite and reportedly has 52 bedrooms, alongside many reception rooms.

Zoejory Wed 01-Mar-23 23:21:34

SueDonim

Are there really 52 bedrooms at Balmoral?? shock It doesn’t look that big from the outside! They must all be about 3ft square - not enough room to swing a Corgi by its stubby tail. 🐶

Crikey Sue! It looks pretty big to me smile

www.womanandhome.com/life/royal-news/balmoral-castle-queen-prince-philip-370428/

maddyone Wed 01-Mar-23 23:46:15

Such a tragic tale. 52 bedrooms to choose from but William got the bigger one with the better view.

I do agree. It’s terribly sad, I could cry 😢

maddyone Wed 01-Mar-23 23:49:33

MawtheMerrier

There is so much choice - how much space does a single man on his own need FFS? An apartment in Kensington Palace would seem one of the most appropriate options.
And are the Sussexes likely to return to England?
No? Then why should they have a 7 bedroomed house kept standing empty for them?

I suppose if they’d bought it and paid for it with their own money, but………

SueDonim Thu 02-Mar-23 00:08:02

Until recently I lived not that far from Balmoral, Zoejory and, yes, it’s certainly a substantial pile but it doesn’t take long to walk round the outside!

Maybe it’s because there are so many castles in that area of Scotland, such as Fyvie and Invercauld and further afield, Dunrobin and Culzean, I’ve lost my sense of proportion. 😂

Zoejory Thu 02-Mar-23 00:42:11

SueDonim

Until recently I lived not that far from Balmoral, Zoejory and, yes, it’s certainly a substantial pile but it doesn’t take long to walk round the outside!

Maybe it’s because there are so many castles in that area of Scotland, such as Fyvie and Invercauld and further afield, Dunrobin and Culzean, I’ve lost my sense of proportion. 😂

Ah, insider knowledge!

How fabulous to live with such fabulous architecture on your doorstep.

nanna8 Thu 02-Mar-23 05:22:58

True or not the Harry/Meaghan eviction was reported over here on our national broadcaster. Not that that is much chop I guess. They are not popular here at all and they have also mentioned the Southpark skit.

TerryM Thu 02-Mar-23 06:31:23

Why is it such a big deal ? I mean they don't live in UK. They own their home in USA . The lease was ended .

Calendargirl Thu 02-Mar-23 06:59:02

I din ‘t think the Sussexes had bought the property Maddy.

lemsip Thu 02-Mar-23 07:28:35

no it is leased

Built in 1801 at the direction of Queen Charlotte in the gardens near Frogmore House, Frogmore Cottage is part of the Crown Estate, the monarch's public estate.

Katie59 Thu 02-Mar-23 07:32:03

If it is true that Frogmore has been taken away without any alternative UK base offered, I would agree with that, because now that they have made many millions out of their new celebrity status they can afford to buy place in the UK.

I would not blame Charles for withdrawing the privileges they enjoyed as a penalty for dishing the dirt on the family.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Mar-23 07:34:41

I’d be more impressed if it was sold off and a hundred prefabs were made for the homeless

Grany Thu 02-Mar-23 09:25:36

Frogmore is state property, owned by the Crown Estate, which belongs to the nation. Why is Charles having any say in the matter - and why is he determined to keep giving his dodgy brother perks at taxpayers' expense? #NotMyKing #AbolishTheMonarchy

maddyone Thu 02-Mar-23 09:27:23

Yes Caledargirl and lemsip. I know that the Sussexes don’t own Frogmore, my comment was tongue in cheek. It was leased to them by the Queen because they refused to move into the apartment in Kensington Palace which had been renovated at great public expense especially for them. It has been said that this was because they refused to live next door to the Cambridges after the wedding spacs and according to Harry in the book, because Catherine didn’t reciprocate Meghan’s hug on their first meeting I’m not surprised because I would never hug someone the first time I met them.

Katie59 Thu 02-Mar-23 09:33:02

Grany

Frogmore is state property, owned by the Crown Estate, which belongs to the nation. Why is Charles having any say in the matter - and why is he determined to keep giving his dodgy brother perks at taxpayers' expense? #NotMyKing #AbolishTheMonarchy

We don’t know Charles is having a direct “say” but it is clear that the housing needs of the Royal family are taken into account by the Crown.

Grany Thu 02-Mar-23 09:36:46

Casdon

It’s too early to judge in my opinion. My guess is that this is part of the estate rationalisation plan and trimming back of finances the king is doing. Andrew can’t afford to keep on Royal Lodge without financial help. I’d wager if he moves to Frogmore Cottage, PoW will have Royal Lodge, and another property will be sold. M&H may well be offered something smaller, after all they are in the UK only very infrequently - maybe they will get use of PoW current small house on the Windsor Estate instead. It’s all about saving money I suspect.

Harry and Meghan will of course be just fine, they can and should look after themselves. But why is Charles doing this? It won’t save anyone any money. It won’t reduce the cost of the monarchy, and numerous other royals have large properties provided for them, including Andrew.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Mar-23 09:41:25

Crown Estate property does not belong to the nation Grany, it belongs to the monarch but he can’t dispose of it. Surplus revenue goes to the Treasury.

Grany Thu 02-Mar-23 09:47:45

Germanshepherdsmum

Crown Estate property does not belong to the nation Grany, it belongs to the monarch but he can’t dispose of it. Surplus revenue goes to the Treasury.

Crown Estate land is owned by the Crown. It is land that has always been owned by the Crown, as distinct from the person of the monarch, for the purposes of funding the government. It wasn't, is not and will not be the personal property of the Windsor-Mountbatten family.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 02-Mar-23 09:50:12

Did I say otherwise?

BlueBelle Thu 02-Mar-23 09:53:34

Well I don’t care who it belongs to they should all live in one and give the rest of them away to be used
Why does this rich rich family need all these bloody castles while people live in tents, I hate the awful discrepancies

Mollygo Thu 02-Mar-23 10:01:31

While my DGD is unable to get on the housing ladder because of all the non-royal, frequently unoccupied holiday home owners where she lives and works, I get what you’re saying Bluebelle.
Do you think giving up some of their properties and setting an example from the ‘top’ would persuade others that they don’t need more than one house?

Chestnut Thu 02-Mar-23 10:14:36

Because they are not just a 'rich family', they are our Royal Family.

Chestnut Thu 02-Mar-23 10:19:33

BlueBelle

Well I don’t care who it belongs to they should all live in one and give the rest of them away to be used
Why does this rich rich family need all these bloody castles while people live in tents, I hate the awful discrepancies

BlueBelle maybe you should be more concerned that the Qatari royal family own four thousand properties in the UK, rather more than our own Royal Family.

Forsythia Thu 02-Mar-23 10:24:47

BlueBelle

They may yet but in order to do so, he has to get them out first. I think if I had a family member constantly trashing me and the rest of my family for money, I’d do the same. Neither are to be trusted.

In time to come, maybe some properties will be made available to people from Ukraine, ex military people etc.