Gransnet forums

News & politics

Really. Is this what the country needs ?

(110 Posts)
westendgirl Mon 06-Mar-23 10:19:32

What do Grans think of Boris Johnson putting forward his father for a lordship .

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Mar-23 14:31:56

Grantanow

It's disgraceful. Next on his list will be Sir Dilwyn of Dogpile.

There is nothing wrong with the Welsh name Dilwyn and there is no need to associate it with dog sh*t.

vintage1950 Thu 09-Mar-23 17:59:14

I think that the House of Lords is very useful, especially its committees. There aren't many hereditary peers left and it would probably be a good idea to get rid of those. We do need a second Chamber to examine bills passed by the Commons. Life peers bring a wide variety of experience to the job.

M0nica Fri 10-Mar-23 08:39:46

Even the French, those arch-republicans, have the Legion d'Honneur.

There is nothing wrong with the honours system, almost every country has one, it is just that ours is corrupt and outdated and needs revising.

Nominations must be taken out of political or individual hands, and while I am quite happy that a knighthood is the top of the heap. I think the title 'Lord', as an honour should only be used by people nominated to the second house for a fixed term and only used while they are active members.

Fleurpepper Fri 10-Mar-23 08:58:37

Do the people who are honoured with the Legion d'Honneur take part and have a decision making role, in the Governement???

MawtheMerrier Fri 10-Mar-23 10:47:00

Fleurpepper

Do the people who are honoured with the Legion d'Honneur take part and have a decision making role, in the Governement???

No of course not, and nor do the thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of MBE’s, OBE’s, CBE’s, Knights, Dames, Orders of Merit, Companions of Honour etc

Comparing apples and oranges.

Grantanow Fri 10-Mar-23 13:06:36

I never said Dilwyn was an unsatisfactory name being Welsh in origin. I can't help it that the Buffoon chose the name for his dog. Dogpile has several meanings other than a pile of dog faeces. One is 'a disorderly pile of people' which could well reflect this incompetent Tory government.

Casdon Fri 10-Mar-23 13:12:57

His dog is called Dilyn, not Dilwyn - a different name altogether. It means ‘to follow’, but the dog was already called that by the charity he was adopted from.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 10-Mar-23 13:27:10

I see he's having another go at getting Paul Dacre through, after he's previously been rejected as unsuitable.

Maybe I'm naive but politicians should have no business handing out gongs to the people who are supposed to be holding them to account. Nor should they be hobnobbing with them on their private yachts or accepting the use of their Caribbean retreats.

Freedom of the Press is fine when it's about protecting the rights of citizens to hold the feet of their governors to the fire. It's not all right for global media barons to do the governing.

Callistemon21 Fri 10-Mar-23 22:47:08

Casdon

His dog is called Dilyn, not Dilwyn - a different name altogether. It means ‘to follow’, but the dog was already called that by the charity he was adopted from.

Thanks Casdon

I was confused, thinking Dilwyn must be the name of a crony of Boris's.