Gransnet forums

News & politics

New immigration bill - how on earth will it work?

(538 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 07:49:34

So the latest wheeze from Sunak is to export every single asylum seeker who arrives on our shores, who have not gone through the proper channels or “safe route”

So,

Can anyone explain what safe routes are available.

Can anyone explain the countries willing to accept these exports?

Rwanda has agreed some sort of mutual export agreement - so they will take a few hundred in exchange for us taking theirs. So I’m unclear how that will reduce the pressure - if it ever gets off the ground.

Can anyone explain where all these people are going to be held whilst waiting export, as the law is to apply retrospectively.

Can anyone explain how the Tory government is NOT breaking international law?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 07:53:57

I should add that imo it is a non-runner and Sunak knows this but it is part of the culture war that the Tories are trying to fight in an attempt to attract the hard of thinking.

The Sun apparently carried an article written by Sunak - so I assume that is the demography he is trying to impress.

Casdon Tue 07-Mar-23 08:22:20

Perhaps he’s thinking of creating a giant holding camp somewhere, and putting a facility for people to apply for asylum in the UK from there. If it’s grim enough, which it would be, the thinking is possibly that rather than be deported there, people won’t attempt to come to the UK at all, they will choose other countries, so the issue will disappear. Of course it won’t work.

Grantanow Tue 07-Mar-23 08:37:52

It won't work and it isn't really meant to. Sunak is throwing a bone to voters who hate immigration and when it fails Braverman can blame 'Lefty lawyers', the Court of Human Rights, etc. This in advance of the local elections to reduce the expected anti-Tory swing.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Mar-23 08:43:19

I’m pleased he’s trying to do something.

Biscuitmuncher Tue 07-Mar-23 08:50:50

It can't carry on like this

Kandinsky Tue 07-Mar-23 08:53:33

Can anyone explain where all these people are going to be held whilst waiting export

Maybe they’ll build a great big building next to your house Whitewavemark2?

you could offer to house & feed some of them too? help keep costs down.

I’m sure you’d be only too delighted. smile

silverlining48 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:02:32

Most refugees are in countries close to their homes. The majority who travel further settle in Europe and its only the relative few who take the risky final journey over the sea to get here for reasons of family, language or outdated belief that we are a land of honour and decency. It can’t hurt that we don’t have Identity cards which makes it easier to get work.
45,000 is a fraction of the number of refugees in Germany for instance. They took 1,000,000 Syrians alone as well as Afghanis Iraqis and those more recently from Ukraine.
Yes this is a crowded island but 45,000 is tiny by comparison.
It’s a fact that this government is totally disorganised with a back log of hundreds of thousands of previous refugees still waiting for a decision because they have made so many staff cutbacks and it’s chaos.
There is no legal way for anyone to get into this country other than risk their lives in small boats on the sea.
I don’t know whether is can be true if it is it’s shocking, but I heard yesterday on the radio that only 22 families from Afghanistan have come here through the legal channels provided by the government.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:03:42

It was said on breakfast news that they will be held in two RAF Bases.

This scheme could only work if there were ways to apply for asylum in the U.K. before attempting to get here.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:06:13

This scheme will only work if there are designated safe routes, countries to whom the Tory government can export the asylum seekers, and it is clear that the U.K. is not breaking international law.

None if it is true.

So it will never work.

This is just a dead cat to attract the hard of thinking.

Farzanah Tue 07-Mar-23 09:13:31

It has been reported that Braverman is hoping to push Human Rights Laws to the limits.
As far as I can ascertain she is breaking International Human Rights Laws.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:16:08

James O'Brien

“Public interest in ‘small boats’ grows according to the scale & tone of coverage. Tory politicians & Tory media gleefully & cynically exploiting some of the most desperate people on the planet to distract voters from the mess they’ve made of our country. It’s so crass & obvious.”

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:17:21

GrannyGravy13

This scheme could only work if there were ways to apply for asylum in the U.K. before attempting to get here.

Concentration camps are not a good look.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:21:38

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

concentration camps are not a good look

Emotive language is not helpful.

Patsy70 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:25:16

I realise that I am being naive here, but surely the evil people traffickers should be identified. There is never any mention of who they are.

Maudi Tue 07-Mar-23 09:25:45

Stop the Boats and Get The Votes

I personally think that if Sunak and Suella Braverman's plan actually works the Red Wall voters will vote Conservative again.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:26:18

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

So how would you describe a camp with huts surrounded by barbed wire and guards on the entrances?

I can imagine what the world will make of it.

But honestly it is never going to happen is it!

Katie59 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:28:47

It won’t work unless they can stop migrants taking to the water from France.
Once they get here the migrant lawyers will make sure Sunak’s plan is thwarted, and locking up tens of thousands in camps long term is not an option.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:30:46

Katie59

It won’t work unless they can stop migrants taking to the water from France.
Once they get here the migrant lawyers will make sure Sunak’s plan is thwarted, and locking up tens of thousands in camps long term is not an option.

It won’t work because Sunak’s plan is fundamentally unworkable.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:35:14

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

GrannyGravy13

So how would you describe a camp with huts surrounded by barbed wire and guards on the entrances?

I can imagine what the world will make of it.

But honestly it is never going to happen is it!

We are a Forces Family (many generations)

RAF/Army camps are not comparable to concentration camps.

They will have guards on the entrances as every Forces Base has whatever the Country/wherever the Base.

The guards in the U.K. are for the protection of those inside a consequence of bombings by the IRA and terrorism.

Where they are housed is not the problem, it’s the length of time for their cases to be heard and the glaringly obvious fact that the people traffickers are getting extremely rich on the backs of desperate people.

Arrest and detain the traffickers, sort out an office/offices abroad where people can apply for asylum without risking their lives.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Mar-23 09:47:12

The huts will be containing people against their will, the guards will not be for their protection but to keep them imprisoned.

The solution is pathetically obvious.

1. Get the safe routes established - work with France by setting up application centres on the French/English channel border.

2. The Home office needs a complete reorganisation as it has been dysfunctional and incompetent for years.

3. Throw everything at clearing the backlog.

4. Establish a recognised working practice and for every person accepted as a refugee by helping them to find work and get established in the U.K. as useful members of our society.

MaizieD Tue 07-Mar-23 09:59:43

I'm afraid that concentration camps was one of the first things that came to my mind when I read the proposals. Government is proposing to concentrate them in one or two places instead of dispersing them around the UK, as at present.

Shall we call them 'internment camps'? Is that less emotive?

fancythat Tue 07-Mar-23 10:05:07

There is no legal way for anyone to get into this country other than risk their lives in small boats on the sea.

Everything seemed to work perfectly well prior to about 1995.

Dont even know what changed.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 07-Mar-23 10:07:46

Whitewavemark2

James O'Brien

“Public interest in ‘small boats’ grows according to the scale & tone of coverage. Tory politicians & Tory media gleefully & cynically exploiting some of the most desperate people on the planet to distract voters from the mess they’ve made of our country. It’s so crass & obvious.”

He is usually spot on and that quote sounds just about right.

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Mar-23 10:09:15

It was stated on the BBC news last night that the majority of migrants turning up illegally on our shores last year were from Albania, a European country not at war.
In other words the majority of these illegal migrants are economic migrants, not asylum seekers.
I do hope this plan is successful as the current situation is intolerable, but as we all know there will be fierce opposition, especially from the ECHR.
If only we could extract ourselves from that, the plan would stand a good chance of success.

It’s all about deterrence isn’t it?
Once the message filters through that those who turn up here illegally will never be given permission to stay, then the business model of the people smugglers will be broken.

It IS possible. Australia did it a few years ago, despite the inevitable opposition of course.