Gransnet forums

News & politics

Gary Lineker's tweet

(1001 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 09:10:38

Did he just compare the language used by government to 1930s Germany? Or did he actually reference Nazi Germany?

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 10:41:39

What’s Cooper said then?

Wheniwasyourage Wed 08-Mar-23 10:42:02

Good for Gary Lineker and any other public figure who joins him. This is getting serious. Not to mention that we are becoming even more of an international embarrassment.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Mar-23 10:45:09

LadyHonoriaDedlock

The scariest thing to me is not that Gary Lineker said it but that there's an uproar because he said it. A carefully-orchestrated uproar if you ask me. He's entitled to his opinion, and it matters not a jot if that opinion is 'out of touch' with voters in decayed old mining and manufacturing towns terrified that asylum-seekers threaten an end to morris dancing and tea and biscuits at the vicarage.

Lineker is spot on with his warning. This whipping-up of hatred for a convenient scapegoat is exactly how the Nazis came to power in the 1930s.

He literally isnt ‘allowed an opinion’ as part of his contract.

And I agree with Freya that that is a rather offensive (and inaccurate) description of working class areas of The Midlands and the North.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:49:55

maddyone

What’s Cooper said then?

She disagrees with Lineker’s tweet.

MawtheMerrier Wed 08-Mar-23 10:53:50

At the risk of another “national” stereotype meme- is this yet another case of Chinese whispers? Nobody accused anybody of being Nazis , he was not criticising anything more than the language
I have read the tweet (thank you OP) and see nothing in it to take exception to.
It is one thing to say sports commentators should restrict themselves to sport , actors to acting etc but when a person is in the public eye they should be as free as anybody to express an opinion. It was not part of a football commentary and does not necessarily carry any more weight because of who he is but it will make some people who perhaps profess not to “do” politics, sit up and take notice.
Sport and politics have always been closely linked anyway - boycotts of Olympics and other international competitions eg S Africa and rugby and cricket - have been a powerful expression of censure.
No, if we perceive something to be wrong we have a moral duty to speak out.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Mar-23 10:55:30

Does Cooper disagree with the content of the tweet; or the fact that he’s expressed a such a view against the terms of his employment with the BBC?

MaizieD Wed 08-Mar-23 10:59:27

Whitewavemark2

maddyone

What’s Cooper said then?

My respect for Cooper takes nose dive 😟

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 11:00:34

Thanks Whitewave, I didn’t know that. Cooper was arguing forcefully against the new proposed laws in parliament yesterday, so maybe she disagrees with Lineker, who works for the BBC and is therefore supposed to be impartial, spouting his views via Twitter. I don’t know, I’m just musing. I do know that Cooper doesn’t support the new proposals, so that isn’t the source of the disagreement.

MawtheMerrier Wed 08-Mar-23 11:00:51

I wonder how this “policy” has been applied or implemented in the case of biased reporting (or sometimes NON reporting) of eg demonstrations in our cities or frankly hostile interviews of some politicians?
Oh I know some politicians deserve everything they get but the “principle” remains the same

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Mar-23 11:01:38

Whitewavemark2

Yvette Cooper - disagrees with Lineker.

I disagree with Cooper.

I'm surprised

Gary Linkeker has taken refugees into his home, how many politicians have done the same?

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 11:02:09

FannyCornforth

Does Cooper disagree with the content of the tweet; or the fact that he’s expressed a such a view against the terms of his employment with the BBC?

I’m thinking this is the nub of it.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Mar-23 11:04:06

This is what Cooper said. Not very clear what she meant.
Lineker has annoyed 30p Lee, so that’s another good thing to come out of it! 😃

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/robert-jenrick-suella-braverman-gary-lineker-times-radio-british-b2296349.html?amp

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 11:09:19

Ah, thank you Fanny, now I realise what she said. She doesn’t agree with Lineker comparing Britain to Nazi Germany. She said she doesn’t agree with the comparison but said everyone, including Lineker, is free to express their opinions. She doesn’t agree with what he said but defends his right to say it. Fine, no problem then.

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 11:09:46

Presumably she is also free to express her opinion too then.

paddyann54 Wed 08-Mar-23 11:10:20

Some of us have been saying more or less the same thing for a decade,The tory party is following the Nazi route of divide and conquer ...and it looks like in England at least ...they are winning .Immigrants are welcomed here and when we get control of immigration policy here we'll be happy to have them .The ones we have are valued members of communities from the borders to the Shetlands .As it should be ,sure we have the odd bigot ....but they are generally in decline ,WE need immigrants.
You do too ,but you've been programmed for a very long time to belive in a GREAT Britain that never really existed without the immigrant population .

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Mar-23 11:13:50

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

maddyone

What’s Cooper said then?

My respect for Cooper takes nose dive 😟

And me. She is a good and effective performer in parliament and I liked what she said yesterday.

But I think she is wrong when she disagrees Lineker, I would like to listen to her further explanation.

GagaJo Wed 08-Mar-23 11:14:25

paddyann54

Some of us have been saying more or less the same thing for a decade,The tory party is following the Nazi route of divide and conquer ...and it looks like in England at least ...they are winning .Immigrants are welcomed here and when we get control of immigration policy here we'll be happy to have them .The ones we have are valued members of communities from the borders to the Shetlands .As it should be ,sure we have the odd bigot ....but they are generally in decline ,WE need immigrants.
You do too ,but you've been programmed for a very long time to belive in a GREAT Britain that never really existed without the immigrant population .

Totally agree with everything you've said Paddyann

kittylester Wed 08-Mar-23 11:14:40

I like Lineker a lot except when he makes political remarks.

LadyHD, I am appalled at your view of the North and mining towns.

AJgranma Wed 08-Mar-23 11:17:16

Agree completely- 🙏

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 11:17:54

GREAT Britain, as you put it paddyanne refers to the geographical description of England, Scotland, and Wales. It’s a geographical description, nothing whatsoever to do with the countries being great or anything else.

AJgranma Wed 08-Mar-23 11:22:27

Agree that immigrants are absolutely necessary for all of us to thrive as a society. We need efficient, effective, humane welcoming systems to process people. Movement of peoples is the story of human civilisation and progress.

FannyCornforth Wed 08-Mar-23 11:23:05

Who is the ‘you’ that you directly accuse of being ‘programmed’ paddyann?
You talk of ‘WE’ and of ‘you’.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Mar-23 11:24:00

maddyone

GREAT Britain, as you put it paddyanne refers to the geographical description of England, Scotland, and Wales. It’s a geographical description, nothing whatsoever to do with the countries being great or anything else.

It has been explained many times (even with maps!) on Gransnet maddyone.

If we're including Shetland as in paddyann's post then geographically we'd refer to The British Isles

Most of us of us are not programmed to think otherwise.

Callistemon21 Wed 08-Mar-23 11:27:11

FannyCornforth

Who is the ‘you’ that you directly accuse of being ‘programmed’ paddyann?
You talk of ‘WE’ and of ‘you’.

The hated English of course.
And, presumably, the Welsh and Northern Irish.

Anyone who is not Scottish is a robot.

I am not a robot because I can count how many pictures contain traffic lights.

maddyone Wed 08-Mar-23 11:28:43

Me too Callistemon grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion