Gransnet forums

News & politics

Prince Edward has been given the title Duke of Edinburgh

(94 Posts)
Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 09:53:44

As, I understand, had always been intended. Well deserved though.

MawtheMerrier Fri 10-Mar-23 10:55:36

Callistemon21

ixion

What does Lady Louise get out of it?

Nothing if she has any sense.
She's had a Saturday/holiday job and is at university.
Like any other normal young woman.

Oops, I should have realised she was there already! (Especially as it’s my and Paw’s alma mater )
Sensible choice! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

maddyone Fri 10-Mar-23 11:04:11

Glorianny

I suppose it goes to show that you can bring the RF into disrepute and still claw your way back.
Anyone remember It's a Royal Knockout and Arden productions?
Or Sophie Wessex and the sheik?

Even murderers are let out of prison!

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 11:04:35

Callistemon21

I'm rather confused because wasnt there a rumour (may be just on Gransnet!) that Charlotte was to be Duchess of Edinburgh?

Obviously unfounded gossip.

Good, someone needed to be made Duke of Edinburgh as the D of E Award scheme needed a titular head and Prince Philip was patron or president of hundreds of organisations. I think the Wessexes quietly get on with the job.

Yes! You’re right! I’d forgotten that, and it was me who started the thread.
It was widely reported - not just a rumour started by me! grin

Glorianny Fri 10-Mar-23 11:06:35

Callistemon21

Glorianny

I suppose it goes to show that you can bring the RF into disrepute and still claw your way back.

Yes, but isn't it good when people recognise their early mistakes and learn from them!!

If only ........

Just watched a bit on Youtube I think they ought to reshow it.
Stuart Hall talking to Prince Andrew honestly it's priceless! Maybe the night before the coronation? Just to get things into perspective grin

Rosie51 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:08:46

Glorianny

Yes isn't it encouraging? That means Harry can be forgiven for his Nazi fancy dress when he's 56. The current "bring the RF into disrepute" will see him OK at 74.

Anniebach Fri 10-Mar-23 11:08:54

With the Sussex’s we have ‘It’s a Knockout’ almost daily.

NotTooOld Fri 10-Mar-23 11:16:11

Maw: I don’t know how long Court Mourning affects things like this, but if it’s his birthday, it saved Camilla going out to buy him more socks.

Love it, Maw. grin

Yes, agree. PE being made DofE is a good thing. Someone has to do it.

Blackcat3 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:18:47

Good, he and his family live quietly and honourably out of the spot light, like Anne and her family…..take note H and M …it can be done…but you don’t want it do you?!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:20:18

Very pleased about this.

I have meet Prince Edward and he appeared to be very unassuming and a very nice man.

25Avalon Fri 10-Mar-23 11:22:54

The only question is why this has been speculated as on/off since the (real) queen died. Some said Princess Charlotte.

pascal30 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:33:34

This is a good decision, he is a quiet, hardworking person,just like Princess Anne.. both keen to stay out of the limelight they are a credit to our late Queen

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 11:47:59

The only speculation I read about Princess Charlotte was on GN.

25Avalon Fri 10-Mar-23 11:52:24

GSM maybe I read it in the DM😂 apparently Edward will only have the title during his lifetime and it will not pass to his son who is now the Earl of Wessex. It was promised to Edward when his father died so finally he has it.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 11:52:39

Germanshepherdsmum

The only speculation I read about Princess Charlotte was on GN.

Yes, it was me. But it was reported - I didn’t just make it up!

MayBee70 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:56:38

Glorianny

I know the sheikh incident was bad but I thought that It’s a Royal Knockout was a great idea. It’s a Knockout was huge back then. My ex and I thought that international conflict should have been sorted out in a It’s a Knockout sort of way.

AGAA4 Fri 10-Mar-23 11:56:49

Glad Edward has become Duke of Edinburgh. The right choice.

Jaberwok Fri 10-Mar-23 12:03:11

Had Harry become a loyal , hard working member of the RF undoubtedly his youthful follies would have been forgiven, but he didn't and so they are not. As has been said, even a murderer has an allocated sentence. Have these critical people never ever done one foolish thing in their lives??!!

Namsnanny Fri 10-Mar-23 12:21:11

25Avalon

GSM maybe I read it in the DM😂 apparently Edward will only have the title during his lifetime and it will not pass to his son who is now the Earl of Wessex. It was promised to Edward when his father died so finally he has it.

Would this title be automatically passed on to his son in the past?
Does it confir a financial benefit?
Just wondering.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 12:26:56

Prince Philip’s dukedom didn’t pass to any of his sons when he died. And it doesn’t carry any financial benefits.

maddyone Fri 10-Mar-23 12:28:17

The title has passed to Philip’s son now though.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 12:30:53

It reverted to the Crown and the king has now bestowed it on Edward. It didn’t pass to him.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Mar-23 12:35:37

Here’s a report from last Autumn about Charlotte
www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/king-charles-wants-to-give-princess-charlotte-the-duchess-of-edinburgh-title-in-honour-of-the-queen-3933263

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 10-Mar-23 12:37:08

Ah, the old ‘royal insider’. Well they got that wrong didn’t they?

Grantanow Fri 10-Mar-23 12:42:06

Quite irrelevant to the awful issues facing ordinary people under the Tories. Another dead cat.

Norah Fri 10-Mar-23 12:45:54

Well done King Charles.