Gransnet forums

News & politics

How do you feel about the freeze on your tax threshold and on some benefits paying for giveaway to the wealthiest 1%?

(54 Posts)
DaisyAnne Thu 16-Mar-23 17:39:39

By 2025–26, the four-year freeze to the personal allowance will be costing the typical basic-rate taxpayer £500 per year in today's prices, while the freezes to both the personal allowance and higher-rate threshold will cost typical higher-rate taxpayers around £3,000 per year. (Source 1)

Rich people now have no overall limit on how much can be put into their pension pots tax-free, and can pass this on to their heirs with absolutely zero inheritance tax”. This so called "Budget for Growth" has also ignored public services, leaving them facing “implausibly tight spending plans.(Source 2)

Is this really what people want from a government?

1. ifs.org.uk/publications/reforms-roll-outs-and-freezes-tax-and-benefit-system#:~:text=By%202025%E2%80%9326%2C%20the%20four,around%20%C2%A33%2C000%20per%20year.
2. Torsten Bell, chief executive of the Resolution Foundation thinktank.

MaizieD Sat 18-Mar-23 10:32:01

Germanshepherdsmum

What ‘stealth tax grabs’ are you referring to biglouis?
People working for cash and not declaring their income are guilty of tax evasion. If I knew of someone doing that I wouldn’t hesitate to report them to HMRC.

I read it that biglouis was referring to the frozen personal allowances. I think the description of it as a 'stealth tax grab' is apt. I suspect that many people won't be aware that freezing the PA means that they will be paying more tax.

The Black economy is, of course, a completely different issue

DaisyAnne Sat 18-Mar-23 10:42:25

karmalady

to be fair, a million lifetime allowance was never very much. Any good pension company would be investing a pension plan to get maximum returns. LTA does not include state pension

We need to keep our high earners and the incentives that will encourage consultants to stay in the job. This was a very good decision. Not everyone who has a million in their pension pot is `rich` these days. Those days have long gone.

After a lifetime of saving, the average UK pension pot stands at £37,600 for those between 55 and retirement age.

High earners may be expected to have higher pension savings. However, I feel the gap between the highest and the lowest, perpetuated by power purchased from the Tories, is iniquitous. I also see the government's behaviour as morally wrong.

It is not those we need the most who become rich in our country. That outcome would have its merits. It is those who are already wealthy and can buy additional access to more wealth.

MaizieD Sat 18-Mar-23 10:49:37

DaisyAnne

karmalady

to be fair, a million lifetime allowance was never very much. Any good pension company would be investing a pension plan to get maximum returns. LTA does not include state pension

We need to keep our high earners and the incentives that will encourage consultants to stay in the job. This was a very good decision. Not everyone who has a million in their pension pot is `rich` these days. Those days have long gone.

After a lifetime of saving, the average UK pension pot stands at £37,600 for those between 55 and retirement age.

High earners may be expected to have higher pension savings. However, I feel the gap between the highest and the lowest, perpetuated by power purchased from the Tories, is iniquitous. I also see the government's behaviour as morally wrong.

It is not those we need the most who become rich in our country. That outcome would have its merits. It is those who are already wealthy and can buy additional access to more wealth.

I find myself agreeing with you, DaisyAnne, but you sound a bit left wing, you know...grin