Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emergency Alert!

(93 Posts)
62Granny Sun 19-Mar-23 18:12:11

Apparently on the 23rd of April I the early evening every mobile phone will receive an Emergency Alert notification and sound . Even if your phone is on silent it will still come through and you won't be able to use the phone until you acknowledge receipt of it, the Government is gaining access our phones whether we want it or not apparently they will use it to notify you of flooding or huge fires in your area but what next, are we entering an era of Government propaganda being put out via our phones? I am not happy about this but short of getting rid of my mobile I don't see a way out.

Wyllow3 Sun 19-Mar-23 22:11:09

On balance, a plus, I'd like to think I could be found, and well aware I can be tracked etc anyway..... I already get power cut alerts as on some kind of list and I appreciate it.

"Wonder what it's costing the taxpayer..."

Next to nothing? Technology is out there already.

But its like anything = yes possible future misuse in wrong hands etc and in that case I'd reconsider settings or even carrying one round..

grumppa Sun 19-Mar-23 23:20:24

Interesting that they've chosen St. George's Day to launch it - slaying the dragon of modern apocalyptic disasters. Or is in honour of Shakespeare's birthday?

henetha Sun 19-Mar-23 23:28:23

It's a good idea in my opinion. I welcome it.

TillyTrotter Mon 20-Mar-23 08:17:56

It was discussed on the Laura Kuenssberg political programme yesterday morning and the “alert” sounded.
It is loud enough to make you jump if your mobile is nearby on 23 April early evening when the test is to be carried out.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Mar-23 08:25:35

Even if it saves just one life it’s a good thing

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 20-Mar-23 09:02:24

If I were more paranoid I might think this was about ramping up preparations for nuclear war. A slightly less clumsy way than the ludicrous Protect and Survive pamphlets of the 1980s.

nanna8 Mon 20-Mar-23 09:10:20

I choose to get alerts on my mobile but it is voluntary. You can choose the range so I have within 10 km of our home. They let you know of fires, flooding etc. I think it is quite useful, especially if there is a fire and you are out.

Yammy Mon 20-Mar-23 09:12:29

We already get power and water cut alerts from the companies in our area and they often happen. A good idea at the moment when the water has to be collected 6 miles away.
Hopefully not preparing for nuclear alerts when non of us would have the facilities to implement anything.

Esmay Mon 20-Mar-23 10:06:44

A good idea if you live in a potential flood area - but I've wondered if this has something to do with
Putin's nuclear threat Like Oreo - I'm thinking that hiding under the table is the only option unless you've built a nuclear proof bunker .
And no doubt they exist for certain people .

SueDonim Mon 20-Mar-23 10:53:36

I get similar alerts when I visit my ds in the States even though I have a UK phone. It’s usually a warning of thunderstorms.

Marjgran Mon 20-Mar-23 11:18:49

Oh please… the government won’t be tracking you. Every mobile provider will trigger the life of death alert to all compatible mobiles. Why don’t GNs read the news before posting alarmist stuff? Of course throw phone out and drown in your bed (or whatever the alert is for) - your choice

GrandmaMia1 Mon 20-Mar-23 11:24:39

You can deactivate it on your phone

Grandma14 Mon 20-Mar-23 11:25:19

Sadly I suspect that this has arisen since the escalating threat of what Putin might do

Summerlove Mon 20-Mar-23 11:53:08

Grandma14

Sadly I suspect that this has arisen since the escalating threat of what Putin might do

This has been going on for years in other countries. Probably at least 10.

The UK is just behind the times on this.

rowyn Mon 20-Mar-23 11:57:03

And how would they get all the numbers? Sounds like a belated April Fool to me.

Twopence Mon 20-Mar-23 12:14:30

Is it just smartphones that will get the alarm? I've just got a bog standard pay as you go phone.

rosie1959 Mon 20-Mar-23 12:23:15

rowyn

It doesn't work that way they don't need your number

Dixieblue Mon 20-Mar-23 12:33:26

I think the reasoning is BS, floods and fires. My perspective is that it’s for if/when we are at war with Russia/China but obviously they can’t say that and spread panic among us. Does anyone else agree with me?

Dottynan Mon 20-Mar-23 12:38:43

Katie59
Anyone is very welcome to listen to my conversations. Can't imagine they would gain much from me. Probably hear me asking my husband not to forget the onions.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 20-Mar-23 12:40:23

Germanshepherdsmum

Where did you find about this? It seems very unlikely.

It was all over the radio and tv news yesterday, but my understanding is that only people in areas prone to flooding or forest/ heathland fires will receive this test alert. I may be wrong and it will include everybody.

nipsmum Mon 20-Mar-23 12:42:57

I don't have a mobile phone. I live very well without it, I'm sorry I don't care.

pooohbear2811 Mon 20-Mar-23 12:44:22

Oreo

Seems like a good use of tech to me.
If Putin goes nuclear we can be prepared to hide under the table.🤪

that was my first thought - nuclear weapons incoming, ...t.ake your door off and prop it against the wall.....personally if they are incoming I think my instinct would be to get near it and get vaped straight away rather than suffer the predicted consequences when a few dozen have gone off round the world.

knspol Mon 20-Mar-23 13:06:01

Good idea but slightly worrying as to why the govt has decided after all these years that we now need to have such a warning system. A similar system has been operating in some European countries for many years.

Coco51 Mon 20-Mar-23 13:26:49

I’d sooner know when an emergency is likely than when flood waters are lapping at the door!

Jaxjacky Mon 20-Mar-23 13:38:12

rowyn

It’ll be sent via all the mobile phone companies to all of their customers HannahLoisLuke.