Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boy handcuffed in Superdrug targeted because of his race, mother says

(54 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 23-Mar-23 23:05:55

I saw the headline of this story, and meant to read it properly but have been our most of the day. I don't think it matters who provided the video (is there an implication there?) or which paper reported it. Racism is racism, and private security guards should not be manhandling and handcuffing teenagers.

Unfortunately, it will be hard for the mother to prove that he was targeted because of his race, but I'd like to see the evidence that proves the reverse.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Mar-23 22:46:57

“Speaking to the Guardian”
That tells us all we need to know.
How can the mother be certain that her son was targeted because of his race?
She can’t, can she?

Jaxjacky Thu 23-Mar-23 21:10:48

I’d be interested to know who provided video of the incident.

GagaJo Thu 23-Mar-23 20:35:14

Yet another Black man (teenager this time) violently handled in public. This time not by the police, but by private security who the police are backing.

'Former Downing Street aide Kirsty Buchanan has called for a national review of the use of private security staff, saying her child had been targeted because of his race, and that the behaviour of the security guards was dangerous.

Speaking to the Guardian, Buchanan said her son was not shoplifting in the Superdrug and was confronted by “aggressive” security staff, known as rangers. “They grabbed his arm, threw him on the floor, sat on him and tied his hands with plastic handcuffs,” she said.'

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/mar/23/boy-handcuffed-civilian-security-staff-shop-chichester-superdrug