Gransnet forums

News & politics

Polarisation of society

(260 Posts)
varian Wed 29-Mar-23 11:17:55

Former US President Barak Obama has told an Australian audience that Rupert Murdoch's media empire has fuelled a polarisation of society

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/29/rupert-murdoch-has-fuelled-polarisation-of-society-barack-obama-says

MadeInYorkshire Mon 10-Apr-23 22:41:09

Fleurpepper

M0nica

Arrogance has nothing ot do with how much you or others know. It is a question of treating everyone, whether they agree with you or not as your equals in respect and not look down on them because you do not consider them as clever as you or consider their views to be beneath your contempt.

Monica, views and opinions are one thing- but facts are another.

If someone says the earth is flat, I won't accept the comment as 'equal'.

*Fleurpepper, bizarrely that question "Is the Earth Flat?", has been asked online by 11 million Brazilians recently ... can't trust a lot of what the media say, so that one is gaining traction!

DaisyAnne Tue 11-Apr-23 09:21:51

mumof2boys

Anyone else suspicious of the volume and ramp up in recent days of Anti Kier Starmer rhetoric that is appearing at the moment in the papers and across all social media.

Smells of a coordinated campaign.

I imagine it is just that. On here it's mainly from the hard left. They don't really want to be in government do they? Either that or they cannot get those hard left brains around how elections are won. It is not by appealing to the extremes.

Totally agree with varian (Wed 05-Apr-23 12:24:38) PR cannot, but sadly will not, come soon enough.

Glorianny Tue 11-Apr-23 11:10:47

DaisyAnne

mumof2boys

Anyone else suspicious of the volume and ramp up in recent days of Anti Kier Starmer rhetoric that is appearing at the moment in the papers and across all social media.

Smells of a coordinated campaign.

I imagine it is just that. On here it's mainly from the hard left. They don't really want to be in government do they? Either that or they cannot get those hard left brains around how elections are won. It is not by appealing to the extremes.

Totally agree with varian (Wed 05-Apr-23 12:24:38) PR cannot, but sadly will not, come soon enough.

Oh DaisyAnne we can "get our hard left brains about how elections are won". We also know that there are politicians who lie and cheat to achieve power. We look at politician's records and question their commitment. We did it with Boris and we warned people. Now we see the same tactics with Starmer and we are warning again. Perhaps those warnings will be disregarded again. What sort of a government will result is anyone's guess. But there is no commitment from Starmer to create a better society and Toty-lite won't change anything. I'd liken it to when the coalition government was in power. It just paved the way for the chaos we are in now. And strangely enough some of us "won't get fooled again"

DaisyAnne Tue 11-Apr-23 12:13:24

All I see are more dubious "facts" and very little knowledge.

Who are the 'we' who warned against Boris. I remember a very general conversation coming from all sides. Even some Conservatives could see the problems. I, and many others who don't hold extreme views, certainly didn't need you to tell us what he is like or what he wanted to do to the country. The twisted views of the extremes are not something I feel the need to be tutored in.

DaisyAnne Tue 11-Apr-23 12:14:32

Sorry, I thought I had quoted. My last post in reply to Glorianny Tue 11-Apr-23 11:10:47

Ilovecheese Tue 11-Apr-23 15:52:00

Thing is though, Starmer is not just becoming less popular with left wing voters but Labours lead over the Conservatives is decreasing and he is still less trusted than Rishi Sunak in the polls.
He is not inspiring anyone, and now he has even lost the moral high ground after those dodgy tweets attacking Sunak.
There should be no problem for Labour at the next election with such a Government as we have at the moment, but with Starmer in charge there is a problem.

Casdon Tue 11-Apr-23 15:57:05

Ilovecheese

Thing is though, Starmer is not just becoming less popular with left wing voters but Labours lead over the Conservatives is decreasing and he is still less trusted than Rishi Sunak in the polls.
He is not inspiring anyone, and now he has even lost the moral high ground after those dodgy tweets attacking Sunak.
There should be no problem for Labour at the next election with such a Government as we have at the moment, but with Starmer in charge there is a problem.

Labour have dropped 2% in the latest polls I lovecheese, which is hardly catastrophic, at 49%.
www.ipsos.com/en-uk/uk-opinion-polls
Honestly, half this doom and gloom is from those in the party who want him out, it’s not the reality for ordinary voters.

varian Tue 11-Apr-23 18:50:20

It is obviously in the interest of the right wing proprietors of most of the UK newspapers to divide the Labour Party into Starmer and anti Starmer camps..

Well done The Tmes, Telegraph, Daily Mail, The Sun, The Daily Express and the rest of that lot.

Grany Tue 11-Apr-23 19:25:12

Starmer did that himself divide the Labour Party karma Its left wing people who Starmer and Evans expelled and his stance on the wrong tyre of Jew. Going back on his pledges not knowing what he stands for lying and dull and duller