Gransnet forums

News & politics

I fear the rise of National Conservatism

(284 Posts)
DaisyAnne Mon 24-Apr-23 11:12:25

I have disliked the direction the Conservatives have taken but this is such a stark reflection of the 1930s that I fear it.

Not heard of them? This New Statesman Podcast by Andrew Marr may help you understand who and what they are.

They are holding a conference next month (15 - 17 May). Speakers are to include Jacob Rees Mogg, Michael Gove, Suella Braverman and Danny Kruger. There will be lots of our Union flags, apparently. GB News also seems strongly represented.

Marr is a very knowledgeable man, so can give a much better explanation about where this Nationalist party has come from and why, than I can.

He does explain what the Labour Party are offering - a stronger state built on less centralisation - in reply to the perceived problems that have given the extreme right power around the world to revive nationalism. (He is going to do an analysis of the left in this series)

He also explains the roots of this party, as shown by its website nationalconservatism.org/ and summarises what this means to Rishi Sunak and to the left.

Please watch it before you reply, and don't just guess what it is about. We should both know and understand what this is about and where it is coming from.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Apr-23 16:40:16

It’s not entirely clear to me who ‘this lot’ are. The names on the website are almost all unknown to me, though their agenda is clear enough. I don’t wish publicity on them but I hope we hear more after the conference - particularly about the parts played by JRM and Braverman. It’s a matter of concern that in the 21st century such a movement can be formed under an apparent cloak of secrecy.

DaisyAnne Mon 24-Apr-23 16:55:16

growstuff

I think it goes further than that Maizie, although I agree it probably appeals to much the same cohort.

It probably does, at least to some extent.

If I ever think I couldn't be swayed in the same way, I put on "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" (Cabaret). The intended shock reminds me just how easy it is to be carried off by an idea that, at the beginning, sounds like your view.

DaisyAnne Mon 24-Apr-23 16:57:48

Germanshepherdsmum

It’s not entirely clear to me who ‘this lot’ are. The names on the website are almost all unknown to me, though their agenda is clear enough. I don’t wish publicity on them but I hope we hear more after the conference - particularly about the parts played by JRM and Braverman. It’s a matter of concern that in the 21st century such a movement can be formed under an apparent cloak of secrecy.

I think a lot on the site comes from America. Their view has been influencing some over here (and other western countries) for some time.

growstuff Mon 24-Apr-23 17:00:40

They're mainly American and Israeli, which is why their names aren't familiar in the UK.

They've been established for a while in the US. Here's one viewpoint:

historynewsnetwork.org/article/183429

growstuff Mon 24-Apr-23 17:01:07

Snap DaisyAnne.

annodomini Mon 24-Apr-23 17:16:30

Thanks, Daisy-Anne, for drawing this to our attention. I've listened to the podcast in a growing mood of pessimism. It's the feeling that we're facing a ground-swell akin to the rise of Nazism in the 30s that makes me despair. I know there are people in this country - not a majority I hope - who will welcome the conservative and nationalist views expressed by those conference speakers which will be replayed by speakers - some of them the same speakers - at the forthcoming conference next month. I shudder.

Oreo Mon 24-Apr-23 17:19:49

NanaDana

This organisation is news to me, so thanks for pointing it out. I'll certainly read up on them and their views. What worries me is that we appear to be heading for (or are even already in) a power vacuum, with an impotent, inefficient Government, and a rather drab, unconvincing opposition. So yes, it's on the cards that, failing something disastrous, Labour will get in at the next G.E. , but what happens if, as seems eminently feasible, Starmer and Co. also fail to deliver? Shades of the Weimar Republic meltdown, with a so-called "strong leader" then stepping forward to "rescue the Nation from chaos"? And which group or groups will that leader blame or even demonize as being responsible for the broken economy? They always need a scapegoat. Chilling to contemplate...

Maybe at that point they’ll bring back Boris!👀

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Apr-23 17:23:05

Thanks Daisy and growstuff. I suspected as much. And now recruiting here, aligning themselves to the Conservative party. Readying themselves to field candidates at the GE?

Fleurpepper Mon 24-Apr-23 20:20:56

Germanshepherdsmum

The ERG was too- recently, a lot of questions have been asked about who they are, and what they stand for, how can it be that we tax payers pay for their Group's funding- and for the power they hold on Government to be curbed. So I do believe it is them in disguise, + others from Vote Leave.

DaisyAnne Mon 24-Apr-23 20:28:51

The ERG are now the CRG (Covid Recovery Group although I could offer alternatives.)

Fleurpepper Mon 24-Apr-23 20:33:02

It will be interesting to see how the tabloid Press and other Tory papers will react to them.

Dinahmo Mon 24-Apr-23 21:14:35

What I find interesting is how many people attacked Garry Lineker when he compared the language used to launch a new asylum policy with 1930s Germany and who are now worried about the rise of National Conservatism.

Some/many of us have been worried about the advance of the far right throughout the world for a very long time.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Apr-23 21:20:48

Have you looked at the NC’s website Fleurpepper? Looked at the names there? Looked at their beliefs? They are not the ERG, though some ERG members may have espoused their cause. These people are not simply Vote Leave in disguise. Their beliefs are far more sinister, much as you may wish to think that all paths lead to Brexit.

growstuff Mon 24-Apr-23 21:24:43

I agree with you GSM. They're far more sinister and, I suspect, have bigger bucks behind them. There's been a worldwide trend towards the extreme right for some years. They're appealing to the disillusioned and, let's face it, there are plenty of disillusioned voters at the moment.

Fleurpepper Mon 24-Apr-23 21:25:50

No I have not GSM- I will try and inform myself better. And I have not mentionned the B word at all btw.

Fleurpepper Mon 24-Apr-23 21:28:22

Although I am quite sure that they are closely linked.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Apr-23 21:30:17

Talking about the ERG and suggesting these people are Vote Leave in disguise isn’t referencing Brexit Fleurpepper? Really?

MaizieD Mon 24-Apr-23 21:42:31

Germanshepherdsmum

Talking about the ERG and suggesting these people are Vote Leave in disguise isn’t referencing Brexit Fleurpepper? Really?

I think that their target audience is very much those who voted for Brexit. Their stated 'concerns' are similar to those which influenced some Leave voters...

So Brexit does have some relevance even though people might try to deny it.

Fleurpepper Mon 24-Apr-23 21:48:39

Germanshepherdsmum

Referencing is one thing - saying it another. YOU did- but as Maizie says, all the signs are there. If you can provide evidence to the contrary, I will be happy to listen.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Apr-23 21:55:11

They may well appeal to many who voted Leave. That is not the same as saying, as YOU did, Fp, that they are the ERG and Vote Leave in disguise. Read up on them.

Fleurpepper Mon 24-Apr-23 21:56:40

I said I would - but not just before going for bed- my sleep is more important!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Apr-23 21:59:25

Perhaps before you comment again. I assure you that it takes very little time to see who the founders are and what they’re about.

Foxygloves Mon 24-Apr-23 22:09:08

Fleurpepper

Germanshepherdsmum

The ERG was too- recently, a lot of questions have been asked about who they are, and what they stand for, how can it be that we tax payers pay for their Group's funding- and for the power they hold on Government to be curbed. So I do believe it is them in disguise, + others from Vote Leave.

Have we had another referendum involving Leave or Remain Fleurpepper ?
I must have missed that confused

And I have not mentionned the B word at all btw

growstuff Mon 24-Apr-23 23:09:08

MaizieD

Germanshepherdsmum

I think that their target audience is very much those who voted for Brexit. Their stated 'concerns' are similar to those which influenced some Leave voters...

So Brexit does have some relevance even though people might try to deny it.

I wouldn't dispute that the target audience is similar. However, their American origins are reflected by extreme social conservatism/"anti-wokery".

They're anti-abortion, anti-trans, pro-religion (Christian), pro-control of education (for their own ends), pro-family and children - amongst other things. I don't remember Brexiters being in favour of any of those policies.

Interestingly, they emphasise that they're inclusive and not racist. Presumably, they realise that their core supporters aren't all white.

ronib Tue 25-Apr-23 10:04:55

Roger Scruton, among others, at the National Conservatism Conference in London May 13,2019 - YouTube video Renewing our communities by revitalising the nation state. 35 minutes.

Maybe a quick introduction into the theory/thought behind the organisation?