Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dogs shot by Met police

(192 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 08-May-23 08:06:35

Apologies for inability to post a link. Yesterday a woman was attacked by two dogs. Police responded. The DM has a video on line showing a man holding back two large, aggressive bull type dogs as police try to talk to him. The police killed both dogs by shooting them.
The woman filming this is heard to criticise this. The police spokesperson states the dogs posed a threat to police. Having watched the video, I don’t know what else they could have done in the circumstances.
Sorry for yet another post about our of control dogs with irresponsible, ill-informed owners.

tanith Mon 08-May-23 08:19:28

The owner seemed to making no attempt to calm the dogs in fact the opposite. As they had already attacked another person I don’t see what else they were expected to do either as they tried for quite a while to calm things down.

MerylStreep Mon 08-May-23 08:21:46

Here’s the story.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12057857/Shocking-footage-shows-moment-Met-Police-shoot-kill-two-dogs-woman-mauled-attack.html

NfkDumpling Mon 08-May-23 08:26:35

I think I found the right video, and the dogs did seem calm and under control until the man got aggressive. (I couldn't get sound on the video.) Not knowing what was said or the details we can only hope the police had no alternative. I feel for the dogs, but hopefully this will be a lesson to blokes who think it's manly to have bull breed dogs and encourage them to be defensive and vicious.

rosie1959 Mon 08-May-23 08:38:50

Poor dogs in the hands of an idiot no wonder they reacted the way they did.

Hetty58 Mon 08-May-23 08:45:01

The Metro video I saw showed the second dog shooting was, unfortunately, botched - so the poor thing suffered for a while before being shot again.

Some people just shouldn't have dogs. He seemed to be holding them by their harnesses - no leads - shouting and arguing, (although, briefly trying to calm them down) using them as shields, to be released anytime - not under control.

I don't think the police had any choice but to shoot them - and taser him. The people shouting from the flats above would not have known the circumstances.

Hetty58 Mon 08-May-23 08:46:40

metro.co.uk/2023/05/08/moment-police-shoot-two-dogs-dead-in-london-after-woman-attacked-18744857/

Riverwalk Mon 08-May-23 09:07:44

Unfortunately for the dogs the police had no choice but to shoot them dead. The owner was actually coming forward and backwards at the police - if he'd let go of the dogs, accidentally or otherwise, they could have run rampant attacking other people.

I hope the owner receives appropriate punishment.

There've been a number of incidents recently where dogs have attacked someone in the street and the owner scarpers leaving the victim injured. A schoolgirl was being attacked and a passing cab driver had to prise the dog's jaws off the girl - the owner fled.

Luckygirl3 Mon 08-May-23 09:36:35

Why oh why do people breed these monsters? Why do people buy them? What can they be thinking?

I went into a pub on holiday and a similar dog was at a table being held on a short lead by its young female owner. Every time anyone got up it reared forward, crashing into the table and filling the pub with its aggressive barking - waiters, people needing the loo, people trying to leave - all had to run the gauntlet of this beast. And the girl holding him was struggling to keep it in check. What is that all about?

nanna8 Mon 08-May-23 09:40:43

They shouldn’t be allowed into pubs where food is served. Disgusting.

Fleurpepper Mon 08-May-23 09:47:53

All dogs should be on official register, approved by vet, and traceable, with fee paid. And some breeds illegal to breed and own.

This is just awful- but the police had no choice. ACtually, as cruel as it seems to be, better for those dogs to be taken out quickly, then facing a lifetime behind bars at huge cost to community.

Fleurpepper Mon 08-May-23 09:49:01

It's about 'power' Lucky- for people who have got none without the dogs. It's truly tragic.

Grantanow Mon 08-May-23 09:51:43

Obviously the right thing to do. Protecting the public is a key requirement. Too many thugs with aggressive dogs these days.

Aveline Mon 08-May-23 09:55:17

Also the poor policemen must have felt awful having to shoot these dogs. Awful situation brought about by pathetic men whose only way to gain any 'respect' is by owning these scary dogs.

rosie1959 Mon 08-May-23 10:02:01

From the film which I have no desire to watch again the dogs did not look particularly big probably a staffy or similar.These dogs are not born monsters it’s just the low life that buy them.
I certainly have no problem with dogs in pubs but they should be under control and that’s up to the landlord.
I believe it is law now that all dogs should be microchipped but that won’t deter this happening.
The dogs are not the problem the humans are

Aveline Mon 08-May-23 10:03:39

I'm always happy to see well behaved dogs in pubs. I've seen some lovely dogs there.

V3ra Mon 08-May-23 10:15:42

I went into a pub on holiday and a similar dog was at a table being held on a short lead by its young female owner. Every time anyone got up it reared forward, crashing into the table and filling the pub with its aggressive barking - waiters, people needing the loo, people trying to leave - all had to run the gauntlet of this beast. And the girl holding him was struggling to keep it in check.

Did you or anyone else speak to the landlord and express your concerns Luckygirl3?

The landlord should have told that girl to leave. If she'd lost her grip on the dog's lead there could have been a really dangerous situation.

Luckygirl3 Mon 08-May-23 10:19:16

Eventually the pub staff intervened and the dog left. Clearly they had their business to protect.

V3ra Mon 08-May-23 10:24:23

I bet you were all mightily relieved!

Shinamae Mon 08-May-23 10:26:26

rosie1959

Poor dogs in the hands of an idiot no wonder they reacted the way they did.

Absolutely this!

Dickens Mon 08-May-23 11:05:12

V3ra

^I went into a pub on holiday and a similar dog was at a table being held on a short lead by its young female owner. Every time anyone got up it reared forward, crashing into the table and filling the pub with its aggressive barking - waiters, people needing the loo, people trying to leave - all had to run the gauntlet of this beast. And the girl holding him was struggling to keep it in check.^

Did you or anyone else speak to the landlord and express your concerns Luckygirl3?

The landlord should have told that girl to leave. If she'd lost her grip on the dog's lead there could have been a really dangerous situation.

Precisely. Possibly another 'tragedy', more hand-wringing and "thoughts with the family"... and likely a dead-dog at the end of it.

I'm sick of reading about these attacks, babies, children and adults being mauled to death.

But nothing will change, this is just another episode of the same old same old, and on it will continue...

M0nica Mon 08-May-23 11:08:29

I think if dogs like this were shot like this where everyone can see more frequently, then perhaps, some of the numbskulls who own them might make more of an effort to control them.

As it is the dogs involved in incidents like this and other cases where people are killed, are quietly taken away and put down later.

I am not advocating animal cruelty, but if it can be done quickly and efficiently on the spot, when and where it happens. I think it should.

maddyone Mon 08-May-23 11:31:23

According to the headline on the link, these dogs had already attacked a woman. The article doesn’t say anymore about her but I hope she’s okay.
I’ve no problem with the dogs being shot and killed. They were out of control and already attacked someone.

rosie1959 Mon 08-May-23 11:31:54

M0nica

I think if dogs like this were shot like this where everyone can see more frequently, then perhaps, some of the numbskulls who own them might make more of an effort to control them.

As it is the dogs involved in incidents like this and other cases where people are killed, are quietly taken away and put down later.

I am not advocating animal cruelty, but if it can be done quickly and efficiently on the spot, when and where it happens. I think it should.

Problem was this wasn’t quick or efficient from the full video those dogs suffered and it wasn’t a clean shot

maddyone Mon 08-May-23 11:45:35

It would be difficult to get a clean shot when the dogs were pulling and straining at their leash. Effectively they were out of control. I’m far more concerned about the suffering of the woman who was attacked by the dogs than I am about the dogs. They were dangerous. They were dealt with. The responsibility lies with the owner, not the police.