Gransnet forums

News & politics

Dogs shot by Met police

(193 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 08-May-23 08:06:35

Apologies for inability to post a link. Yesterday a woman was attacked by two dogs. Police responded. The DM has a video on line showing a man holding back two large, aggressive bull type dogs as police try to talk to him. The police killed both dogs by shooting them.
The woman filming this is heard to criticise this. The police spokesperson states the dogs posed a threat to police. Having watched the video, I don’t know what else they could have done in the circumstances.
Sorry for yet another post about our of control dogs with irresponsible, ill-informed owners.

BlueBelle Mon 08-May-23 12:13:02

I had to cry at that although I m not a particular doggy person it said they mauled a woman previously so I expect that’s why the police were following him, and the dogs behaviour gave them little choice but how awful for everyone. The poor dogs who in other hands may have been lovely dogs They didn’t look like ‘American bullies’ The poor police man, the watching people and the idiot

Please, please keep dogs out of pubs, cafes, restaurants they shouldn’t be in eating places ….outside not inside
I watched a woman with her bulldog sitting on the chair eating off her plate and another being given a saucer of tea on the floor No no no all wrong

sodapop Mon 08-May-23 12:48:36

I don't mind dogs in restaurants if they lie quietly under the table, it's more usual to see that here in France BlueBelle definitely no eating from plates etc. I don't even allow my dogs to do that at home.
Regarding the dogs who were shot, I agree the police did the right thing, its a pity they didn't get the owner as well. So sad when this is the only thing left to do for the poor dogs.

Glorianny Mon 08-May-23 13:10:43

The police spent a long time trying to negotiate with the owner. He was refusing to give them up and becoming aggressive. Sadly I think the police had no choice. As with all these cases it isn't the dog's fault it is the owner's. I think it's time we had some sort of a system for licensing dog ownership and restricting breeding and sales.

BlueBelle Mon 08-May-23 13:16:07

The trouble is Sodapop not everyone is as considerate as you are and although I like dogs I don’t want to eat with other peoples dogs around me.
It’s not hygienic to have any animals around food besides some people are frightened of dogs, some people are allergic to them, they don’t need to be inside cafes and shops I never took my dogs ‘shopping’ why would I ? they are surely happier at home than trailing round bored in hot shops they don’t have to go everywhere
But getting back to the shot dogs
What were the police actually asking the man to do I couldn’t hear any words apart from other people shrieking OMG ?

MaizieD Mon 08-May-23 13:19:37

The dogs are not the problem the humans are

I'm sure you didn't intend to echo the argument, Rosie1959, but substitute 'guns' for 'dogs' and you have exactly the same thing that American's are saying abut gun control. Which I found a bit chilling.

I'm not sure what the answer is; I know people devoted to their 'staffies' and we once owned the sweetest natured rottweiler, but I can't help thinking that there is no need for potentially dangerous breeds to be perpetuated and that we should just prohibit further breeding and let them die out.

Jaxjacky Mon 08-May-23 13:21:36

I agrée with you maddyone. I hope thé person with them had to change his underwear after he was tasered too.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-May-23 13:26:32

Glorianny

The police spent a long time trying to negotiate with the owner. He was refusing to give them up and becoming aggressive. Sadly I think the police had no choice. As with all these cases it isn't the dog's fault it is the owner's. I think it's time we had some sort of a system for licensing dog ownership and restricting breeding and sales.

I agree, it's getting to a stage where more stringent legislation is needed.

The police had no option. The man became aggressive and looked as if he was going to use the dogs as weapons.
The police were using the correct tactics, some trying to negotiate, others ready to pull their colleagues away if they were attacked by the dogs.

The dogs may well have been put down anyway as they had already attacked and mauled a woman. Who would have been next? A dead child?
It was unfortunate it happened in front of the public.

Glorianny Mon 08-May-23 13:27:45

BlueBelle

The trouble is Sodapop not everyone is as considerate as you are and although I like dogs I don’t want to eat with other peoples dogs around me.
It’s not hygienic to have any animals around food besides some people are frightened of dogs, some people are allergic to them, they don’t need to be inside cafes and shops I never took my dogs ‘shopping’ why would I ? they are surely happier at home than trailing round bored in hot shops they don’t have to go everywhere
But getting back to the shot dogs
What were the police actually asking the man to do I couldn’t hear any words apart from other people shrieking OMG ?

I could hear them telling him that they just wanted to check the dogs were all right, at first.
Then asking him to surrender them.
He was replying aggressively all the time and there were a couple of bleeps on the video when he obviously used bad language. Dogs get more aggressive if their owner does. I don't know what else they could have done.

Fleurpepper Mon 08-May-23 13:28:15

BlueBelle please do not derail this thread. This is not about dogs in pubs. But why should people with well behaved dogs, lying quietly in a corner, not seen, not heard, be punished because a few idiots can't behave. Another conversation however!

Rosie51 Mon 08-May-23 13:29:07

Bluebelle the police are telling the man he has to hand over the dogs but he refuses. I can clearly hear an officer tell him he leaves them no choice, to which the man replies "Go on, do it" I think he thought they wouldn't. Then I'm not sure if the man encourages the dog to advance or whether it was the dog's choice but that's when the first dog is shot. A totally avoidable situation if the owner had just handed them over.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-May-23 13:34:02

Rosie51

Bluebelle the police are telling the man he has to hand over the dogs but he refuses. I can clearly hear an officer tell him he leaves them no choice, to which the man replies "Go on, do it" I think he thought they wouldn't. Then I'm not sure if the man encourages the dog to advance or whether it was the dog's choice but that's when the first dog is shot. A totally avoidable situation if the owner had just handed them over.

No, it wasn't avoidable. The man became aggressive and so did the dogs.

The officers themselves risked being attacked and did everything they could to avoid the action they had to take.

rosie1959 Mon 08-May-23 13:34:22

I think the answer may be that it becomes illegal to sell and trade dogs privately. With very stiff penalties for those that ignore the law.
Dogs should only be available from registered breeders or from registered charities or rescues. That was the suitability of the new owners would be vetted.
I could have adopted a child easier than my rescue Boxers.

Fleurpepper Mon 08-May-23 13:42:26

Proper registration, not just microchipping, and with vet approval of the dog. And I am afraid, some breeds banned.

Rosie51 Mon 08-May-23 14:30:36

Callistemon21

Rosie51

The officers themselves risked being attacked and did everything they could to avoid the action they had to take.

I've obviously not expressed myself clearly. I agree the police had no option but to shoot the dogs in situ. If the owner had complied with instructions to hand them over the dogs could have been euthanised more humanely, that's what I thought was avoidable, the in situ shooting. I don't think they could be allowed to live because they had mauled a woman, hence the police presence. The owner is 100% responsible for the manner in which the dogs died. I'm sure the officer who shot them would have preferred not to have been in that situation.

Shelflife Mon 08-May-23 14:48:39

Yet another very sad situation, I am sick and tired of reading about dog attacks!! I am not a dog hater nor am I afraid of dogs ( most dogs !!) However regardless of the circumstances , irresponsible owners or any other mitigating defence the fact is these dogs had mauled a woman !! the police had no option but to shoot them .

Dickens Mon 08-May-23 15:20:18

Rosie51

Quite clearly an individual who just should not have been in possession of these dogs.

It's becoming more prolific and - I have to say this although it might draw some flak - particularly on council-owned estates / properties. There's a particular road in my nearest town that is notorious for anti-social behaviour and low-level crime; it's a short-cut we drive down sometimes, and there's quite a few young men with bullies / staffies, straining at the leash - they quite frequently sport little neckerchiefs, too (the dogs, not the men).

I'm friends with a couple who live along that road, and they're quite afraid sometimes because the owners with gardens just seem to let the dogs out into them and they can be seen and heard barking and crashing up against the wood fencing... my friend is worried one of them is going to leap the fence and run amok. In fact they are thinking of moving out of that road for the very reason, not to mention the low-level crime - however that's limited to a few well-known individuals, but it's still disruptive. My friend gives these dog-owners a wide berth when she's out as she has a small dog of her own and is scared one of the big mutts might attack it. I'm told that one of the idiots has 'trained' his dog to react to the word "cats", the animal apparently gets frantic and charges around, crazed, when his owner alerts him to their presence.

M0nica Mon 08-May-23 15:22:49

It is an illusion to think these dogs would be delightful dogs if it wasn't for the owner. Mnay of these dogs are selectively bred for their aggressive traits and then trained to be aggressive from birth.

The chance of retraining these dogs to make them 'safe' is nil. Sadly the only thing to do with these dogs, if identified is to put them down.

Callistemon21 Mon 08-May-23 15:23:07

Rosie51

Callistemon21

Rosie51

I've obviously not expressed myself clearly. I agree the police had no option but to shoot the dogs in situ. If the owner had complied with instructions to hand them over the dogs could have been euthanised more humanely, that's what I thought was avoidable, the in situ shooting. I don't think they could be allowed to live because they had mauled a woman, hence the police presence. The owner is 100% responsible for the manner in which the dogs died. I'm sure the officer who shot them would have preferred not to have been in that situation.

I think we agree 🙂

Gillycats Mon 08-May-23 15:35:42

Poor dogs but no dog is dangerous. It’s how they are trained, that is the problem. Pit bulls and Am bull terriers make great pets but they, like all dogs, need responsible ownership. If you’re going to ban these breeds then you need to ban all large breeds, including German Shepherds, Rotties, and what about the smaller breeds. They’ve been responsible for deaths too. That poor dog walker that tragically died was attacked by various breeds, including Dachshunds. So should we ban them too? The needs to be strict laws on breeding and ownership. That is the only way forward.

maddyone Mon 08-May-23 15:56:47

I thought pit bulls are banned in the UK. However there are many similar breeds around. Many of the people who own these types of dogs get them precisely because they want an aggressive and frightening dog. I think it’s seen as cool in some circles.

Allsorts Mon 08-May-23 16:06:11

What the Met did was correct, but the real villains are tge owners, they are the ones to be held responsible. What about the lady attacked? She’s the victim. The ones responsible can’t be disposed of, but they should bear the costs, banned from keeping animals for life and imprisoned. They should have costs to the victim made from their own purse. We are too soft on criminals who breed dogs to be aggressive, not the dogs fault.

Gillycats Mon 08-May-23 16:31:50

No dog breed is aggressive. Pits, Am bulls, Staffies are lovely gentle dogs. The problem is that they were first bred for their loyalty to their owners. They were actually used as ‘nanny dogs’ to look after children. Unfortunately the usual dregs of society have used that to their advantage and trained them to be aggressive. I recently saw that there’s a company who are doing that exactly. The footage was disturbing to say the least. Those people need jailing and the keys thrown away. I’m sure many of you will know what methods are used to train dogs to be aggressive. It’s abhorrent.

Glorianny Mon 08-May-23 16:44:59

Gillycats

No dog breed is aggressive. Pits, Am bulls, Staffies are lovely gentle dogs. The problem is that they were first bred for their loyalty to their owners. They were actually used as ‘nanny dogs’ to look after children. Unfortunately the usual dregs of society have used that to their advantage and trained them to be aggressive. I recently saw that there’s a company who are doing that exactly. The footage was disturbing to say the least. Those people need jailing and the keys thrown away. I’m sure many of you will know what methods are used to train dogs to be aggressive. It’s abhorrent.

Oh come on. Breeding for aggression was a necessary part of bull baiting, dog fighting, rat and dog fighting, hunting and any other blood sport. The non-aggressive ones didn't live long anyway.

maddyone Mon 08-May-23 17:43:41

I have no idea what methods are used to train dogs to be aggressive and I don’t want to know how it’s done. Aggressive dogs should be put down. The police did the right thing.

M0nica Mon 08-May-23 17:55:31

The fact that certain breeds are banned doesn't stop them being bred and trained here. It is just that, if caught, its against the law and you end up in court.

Dogs are like any other animal/plant/humans they have genes and some combinations mean one dog is more naturally aggressive than another. Some dogs are bred for their aggressive qualitites - and that certainly applied in the days of bull baiting etc. The way some horses are bred for speed, and were bred for their pulling power or endurance.