Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eurovision shouldn’t have been in the UK

(124 Posts)
Mollygo Thu 11-May-23 18:55:08

President Zelensky says Eurovision should not be held in the UK. If only he’d made that clear before, it would have saved us a fortune.

maddyone Thu 11-May-23 21:40:33

Galaxy

I am not interested in gratitude, I am interested in us doing what is right.

But what is right Galaxy? There are probably many different opinions about what is right, but under these difficult circumstances, any one of those opinions maybe considered right.
The best thing would have been to hold the contest in Ukraine but that is neither safe nor possible. I think the UK will do it’s best to honour the Ukrainians as they richly deserve under these less than ideal circumstances.

JenniferEccles Thu 11-May-23 22:25:46

Well it was a very tactless comment, wasn’t it.

Gillycats Thu 11-May-23 22:37:07

Under normal circumstances we would have been the winner last year. We came 2nd to Ukraine who won because of the terrible situation they are in. I think the organisers have bent over backwards to include Ukrainians. We are doing our utmost to support them. I think his comment was ‘unfortunate’ to say the least!

silverlining48 Thu 11-May-23 23:49:03

I hadn’t known about this comment but quite understand why a country close to Ukraine would have been a better choice but a bit late now,
Was there much debate about where it should be held or was it something we decided should be in the uk, perhaps because we came second. I don’t know. Maybe someone else does.
As for armaments I doubt they are not given free and Ukraine will have to repay costs, War debts take decades to repay. Think ours from WW2 was only repaid relatively recently,

Callistemon21 Thu 11-May-23 23:55:09

Well, it's here, it's imminent so it's too late.
Perhaps Ukraine will win again and have a say in where it's held next time.

silverlining48 Thu 11-May-23 23:55:54

I am sure that Liverpool will do Ukraine proud, though have heard it’s much more expensive this year than previous years,

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-May-23 06:20:54

Of course the weapons we are supplying aren’t free. Wherever did anyone get that idea?

The reason we don’t hand them out willy milky is not because of cost, it is for strategic reasons. The U.K. has to give consideration regarding our security and Russias reaction to us giving weapons to Ukraine. Sometimes it must be a very fine line.

Calendargirl Fri 12-May-23 07:23:44

Perhaps when we offered to host this year’s event, no one knew how the war would pan out. Fears that neighbouring countries might be dragged into the war would make the UK a safer choice.

A year on, things seem different.

Mollygo Fri 12-May-23 07:26:48

Of course it will have brought revenue to Liverpool, in return for the ‘up to £3.1 million’ funding from the UK taxpayers, (which could have, but wouldn’t have, gone to the NHS) just as the Coronation brought revenue to the UK and London.
I don’t watch Eurovision since it became a political contest rather than a singing contest, so perhaps, like BlueBelle I shouldn’t have been irritated by his tactless comment.

lemsip Fri 12-May-23 07:54:39

irritated by his tactless comment

I think President Zelensky can be forgiven for any tactlessness given the pressure he is under.

Kandinsky Fri 12-May-23 07:58:49

Ukraine only won last year because of the sympathy vote, their song was crap to be fair ( like most Eurovision songs ) so the UK was the real winner - even though we came 2nd. Everyone knows that.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-May-23 07:59:56

lemsip

*irritated by his tactless comment*

I think President Zelensky can be forgiven for any tactlessness given the pressure he is under.

😄😄 - there he is fighting for his countries survival with bodies piling up and some reckon he should be grateful to the U.K. for hosting the Eurovision, for which our businesses will gain profit!

Get a grip peeps.

Galaxy Fri 12-May-23 08:00:06

Everyone knows that Eurovision is an overblown series of awful songs grin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-May-23 08:00:21

Country’s

Louella12 Fri 12-May-23 08:00:50

Context is everything.

Also, the Ukranian group who won last year, have just given an interview. They are hugely grateful to Liverpool for hosting the show and including Ukraine with many flag and other references to their country.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-May-23 08:21:59

The EBU (Eurovision Broadcasting Union) have vetoed President Zelensky making an address during the live show on Saturday as it is against the rules, as EBU is non political

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-May-23 08:24:44

GrannyGravy13

The EBU (Eurovision Broadcasting Union) have vetoed President Zelensky making an address during the live show on Saturday as it is ^against the rules, as EBU is non political^

Yes

Kim19 Fri 12-May-23 08:32:12

I think that's a wise decision of the EBU.

Witzend Fri 12-May-23 08:44:13

Galaxy

Everyone knows that Eurovision is an overblown series of awful songs grin

My sentiments too! Though I make an exception for ABBA, and of course Sandie Shaw, back in the Dark Ages.

At any rate, dd1 is off to Liverpool later today with a Ukrainian friend (a refugee) who for quite a while was staying a few doors away. There will be a sizeable contingent from dd’s area (Oxford) I think - there were a number of Ukrainians there well before the war, with children at Gdcs’ school.

NanaDana Fri 12-May-23 09:05:55

Quite right that Zelensky, or anyone else, shouldn't be able to use Eurovision as a political platform, European support for Ukraine is clearly demonstrated elsewhere, both in practical and ideological terms, and there are more appropriate avenues for promoting continuation of that initiative.

Grantanow Fri 12-May-23 09:18:08

Last weekend it was wall to wall Coronation. This weekend Eurovision. What's next on the distraction agenda?

henetha Fri 12-May-23 10:06:18

I don't think we should over-react to this which was probably just a casual remark from a man who has far more important things on his mind and is doing brilliantly with his very difficult responsibilities. I don't suppose he meant anything unkind towards the UK whatsoever.
I support Eurovision in spite of some songs being awful. It's a wonderful, mad, entertainment and is a way of uniting countries through music. And there are some good songs sometimes! smile

maddyone Fri 12-May-23 10:25:32

Of course Eurovision is political, in the daftest sort of way. Neighbouring countries vote for one another with monotonous regularity. The songs are mostly awful and depend increasingly on showmanship, lights, presentation etc. I think it was better in the dark old ages when we won a few times, and ABBA and such like won too. We’ve put forward some pretty dire offerings in recent times, but last year’s was wonderful. We don’t have many friends who vote for us either which doesn’t help. So all in all, it’s a hotch potch of fun, lighthearted political rivalries, showmanship, and presentation.

maddyone Fri 12-May-23 10:31:38

I don’t think we should over react to this which was probably just a casual remark from a man who has far important things on his mind…..

Absolutely. Zelensky is actually Britain’s biggest fan and he has praised this country many times. Of course he’s feeling disappointed that Eurovision can’t be held in Ukraine under the present circumstances.

Caramme Fri 12-May-23 10:45:47

And then, mainline trains are on strike again so many people, including Ukrainians who are now living here, who had planned to go to Liverpool this weekend cannot get there. So, just in case any of you are now wondering about going, there is some parking in the city but also park and ride from Stanley park. Alternatively park somewhere on a Merseyrail route - Merseyrail is not striking - their network map online - or go to the Wirral and get the train or ferry across the river. There are also extra bus services. Just needs a bit of extra planning.