Gransnet forums

News & politics

Labour will be a major reforming government

(280 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-May-23 10:05:55

According to the headline report in the guardian today.

Starmer “if you think that our job in 1997 was to rebuild a crumbling realm, that in 1964 it was to modernise an economy overly dependent on the kindness of strangers, in 1945 to build a new Britain, in a volatile world, out if the trauma of collective sacrifice, in 2024 it will have to be all three”

Starmer then went on to pad out some of the policies he intends to introduce, including investment in a green agenda, expansion of NHS staff, votes at 16, fundamental reform of workers rights, recognise people’s need for stability, order, security.
“We must understand that there are precious things-in our way of life, in our environment, and our communities - we must protect, preserve and pass on to future generations.

The Tories do nothing to protect our rivers and seas, our NHS, or families or nation”

Georgesgran Sat 13-May-23 12:26:22

Pie crust promises - made to be broken?

HousePlantQueen Sat 13-May-23 12:30:35

Germanshepherdsmum

It’s very easy to say what any idiot knows people want to hear.

yes. It worked very well for Johnson and an awful lot of people believed his lies

GrannyGravy13 Sat 13-May-23 12:37:12

I have a real problem with giving 16 year olds the vote.

Only this morning on the news there was a discussion with a Government Minister and a member of the public regarding bringing in the GDL (graduated driving licence) as it’s been proven that youngsters brains do not fully form or mature until age 24/25.

This is apparently the reason that there are a high number of RTA’s involving the 17-25 age group. The most common cause of death in this age group is RTA, whether they be a driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian.

If this age group is not deemed emotionally mature to drive without conditions, have to stay in full time education or an apprenticeship until 18, how/why are they deemed ok to vote on how the country is run?

It’s a very big NO from me.

As for the rest I think Mr.Starmer and the Labour executive are saying what they think the electorate want to hear.

Unfortunately my confidence in any politician or political party actually following through on their promises is at an all time low.

I will consider whether or not to vote when all manifestos are known.

HousePlantQueen Sat 13-May-23 12:37:51

Such cynicism on here, what, if any of the Starmer statement, bothers you? I can see no issue with any of them, and prefer a balanced, realistic plan to get this country out of the mess it is in. Starmer is right not to be too specific about their plans, for recent history has shown a tendency of the Tory administration to steal some of his better ideas (after sneeringly rejecting a windfall tax, Sunak, as Chancellor, brought in an 'Excess Profit Levy). Yes, he is not the most vibrant of politicians, but, frankly, after the cataclysmic period with that traitor Johnson in no 10, bring it on.

HousePlantQueen Sat 13-May-23 12:41:43

Unfortunately my confidence in any politician or political party actually following through on their promises is at an all time low

You are not the only one to say this GrannyGravy, and this is the damage that the Tories, in particular Johnson and Truss, have done. Not just to their own Tory brand, but to politics in general. This is unforgiveable.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 13-May-23 12:51:37

I'm with WWM . I don't vote for a party on the basis of the charismatic personality of their leader. That is how this country ended up with Mr Johnson. Some people seem to confuse the role of a PM with winning " I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here".

Bossyrossy Sat 13-May-23 13:07:07

We don’t need a charismatic, charming PM, Kandinsky, we need an honest, hardworking person who puts the welfare of the common man and women before that of his/her wealthy cronies. Starmer is a man who cares about the people. He didn’t get his knighthood for nothing.

GagaJo Sat 13-May-23 13:09:03

Germanshepherdsmum

As the Tory populists do every. single. time.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 13-May-23 13:09:36

Don’t all politicians?

MaizieD Sat 13-May-23 13:14:19

Germanshepherdsmum

Don’t all politicians?

What do you suggest we have instead of politicians, GSM?

MayBee70 Sat 13-May-23 13:14:53

Germanshepherdsmum

That’s why he’s tapping into the racist xenophobic vote. Oh, hang on a minute, that’s not him, it’s the current government….

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-May-23 13:22:19

Here is what Labour are saying about our air and water

“Support the environment and act on sewage

Improve people’s access to both urban and rural green space
Consider expanding national parks and creating new ones and ensure the public have the right to experience, enjoy and explore nature
Ensure that there are sufficient responsibilities and protections to manage and conserve our natural environment for all
Pass a Clean Air Act, establish a legal right to breathe clean air and place new duties on ministers to ensure air quality guidelines are met.
Use regulatory powers to keep consumer bills down and ensure that water companies – rather than the public – pay for their failures
Set mandatory targets to halve water leaks…Strike off company directors who continually breach and ignore their responsibilities
Ensure illegal activity is punished and ensure payments of dividends are linked to key performance metrics
Introduce mandatory monitoring of sewage outlets and automatic fines for sewage discharges, with a penalty for outlets that do not have monitoring in place.
Set ambitious targets to cut sewage outflows”

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-May-23 13:23:25

Personally I would rather it was nationalised, but if it isn’t then this is a good start to getting control of our air and water.

Primrose53 Sat 13-May-23 13:56:55

Bossyrossy

We don’t need a charismatic, charming PM, Kandinsky, we need an honest, hardworking person who puts the welfare of the common man and women before that of his/her wealthy cronies. Starmer is a man who cares about the people. He didn’t get his knighthood for nothing.

The last true Labour man was John Smith. Fine politician and a gentleman. Nobody since has come even close.

Primrose53 Sat 13-May-23 14:00:30

It was all downhill for Labour after John Smith’s tragic death and I never voted for them again. Never will either and that is coming from someone who grew up in a Labour household, a Labour road, a Labour village and a Labour district!

AGAA4 Sat 13-May-23 14:13:20

Anything is better than our current government but labour is in control here in Wales. Enough said.

MayBee70 Sat 13-May-23 14:15:10

Primrose53

It was all downhill for Labour after John Smith’s tragic death and I never voted for them again. Never will either and that is coming from someone who grew up in a Labour household, a Labour road, a Labour village and a Labour district!

Dare I ask which party you do want in government then?

NanaDana Sat 13-May-23 14:35:43

Whitewavemark2

But presumably you will still vote? And all we voters have to go on is what politicians say, and whether we agree with the general drift.

I certainly don’t vote for personality. Look where voting for Johnson got us!!

If the question is directed at me, Wwm2, the answer is yes, as always, as I'm a firm believer that bad M.P.'s are often those who are elected by people who don't vote.

Kandinsky Sat 13-May-23 14:56:12

we need an honest, hardworking person who puts the welfare of the common man and women before that of his/her wealthy cronies

Well therein lies the rub.

He’s not really sure what a woman is.

Grantanow Sat 13-May-23 14:59:26

There are so many problems facing the UK (including the economic consequences of the self-inflicted catastrophe of Brexit) that Labour will find it difficult to deliver significant improvements in a 5 year term. Achieving second 5 years may therefore prove very doubtful so I am beginning to see a move to PR as highly desirable to avoid another disastrous Tory government full of cranks and opportunists.

Anniebach Sat 13-May-23 15:05:33

If all downhill after John died how come Labour won 3 consecutive general elections ?

Sparklefizz Sat 13-May-23 15:06:36

Kandinsky

*we need an honest, hardworking person who puts the welfare of the common man and women before that of his/her wealthy cronies*

Well therein lies the rub.

He’s not really sure what a woman is.

I couldn't vote for him for this reason.... and for several others.

Primrose53 Sat 13-May-23 17:17:26

Anniebach

If all downhill after John died how come Labour won 3 consecutive general elections ?

I should have said “in my opinion”. Yes Blair and Brown got in but OMG what a mess they made!!

Lied about Iraq
Created the detested bedroom tax
Sold hospitals to the private sector
Brought in disability assessments
Created the hated zero hours contracts
Created a generation of dependancy
Created Tuition fees
Signed over 100 PFI contracts

That’s just to be going on with.

Casdon Sat 13-May-23 17:24:11

Primrose53

Anniebach

I should have said “in my opinion”. Yes Blair and Brown got in but OMG what a mess they made!!

Lied about Iraq
Created the detested bedroom tax
Sold hospitals to the private sector
Brought in disability assessments
Created the hated zero hours contracts
Created a generation of dependancy
Created Tuition fees
Signed over 100 PFI contracts

That’s just to be going on with.

Some poetic licence employed…. Shall we do a similar list for the Tories so you can compare them Primrose53?

Ilovecheese Sat 13-May-23 18:58:03

I thought it was the Tories that brought in the bedroom tax?