Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pitch for leader ?

(188 Posts)
westendgirl Tue 16-May-23 09:31:34

Is Braverman pitching for Tory leader ? what do you think ?

growstuff Mon 22-May-23 02:50:49

I think this is about more than Braverman's speeding fine. It really does look as though somebody within the party is briefing against her.

A few days ago, there were reports that some backbenchers were unhappy with her speech at the NatCon conference and accused her of not being a team player. Now there are claims that she tried to miss the third vote on her own immigration bill.

There have been rumours for some time that she's unpopular with backbenchers because she's gone too far and as a result of her rhetoric.

I suspect Conservative MPs know that she's not reflecting the mood of the country and they're looking at their own dwindling majorities. Sure people want to bring down net migration, but the Rwanda plan and the rhetoric are going too far. The Conservatives have failed to address the issue of migration and it seems as though Braverman has positioned herself as "tough", so she can blame everybody else.

Conservative MPs are too spineless to vote against the immigration bill, but it doesn't mean they're not critical of it, so they resort to other means of bringing down its author.

Braverman's rise within the party is astonishing. She doesn't appear to have much political understanding. She's an ERG puppet. Whenever I've seen interviews with her, she looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights and is usually unprepared for questioning. She didn't have the legal experience to be Attorney General and her credentials to be Home Secretary aren't good. She's an ideologue in the same way Truss is and a vote loser.

MayBee70 Mon 22-May-23 04:27:58

The last thing that Johnson wanted was an Attorney General with scruples. He needed someone as far removed from Dominic Grieve as possible.

Iam64 Mon 22-May-23 06:33:58

MayBee70

The last thing that Johnson wanted was an Attorney General with scruples. He needed someone as far removed from Dominic Grieve as possible.

Thanks growstuff, I think you’re correct. It has to be just a bit life affirming that some in the Conservative Party are unhappy with Braverman.

growstuff Mon 22-May-23 08:14:36

I just hope she doesn't get replaced by Badenoch, who is just the same (if not worse), but is more cunning about her own PR.

MayBee70 Mon 22-May-23 13:52:29

She’s going to be before a select committee at 2.30. Routine Home Office stuff but I think the issue speeding fine will be raised.

HousePlantQueen Mon 22-May-23 15:39:58

MayBee70

Exactly this. By a stunning coincidence, Braverman was made QC the same day she was appointed Attorney General. Yet again, the reverse Midas touch of Johnson.

I couldn't care less about her getting a speeding fine, I do care a great deal about Braverman asking (a) if she could claim the fine on expenses as she was on Parliamentary business. Allegedly. and (b) thinking she is is so special that she can have a private session.

It would have been a five minute wonder if Braverman had appeared on the Zoom screen with other people, now, like everything with this damned administration, lies and obfuscation have made it worse.

MayBee70 Mon 22-May-23 16:40:18

Johnson was always quite open about his contempt for the law. To be fair to him he never hid that contempt from the electorate but they still voted for him. And that contempt has just filtered through parliament. Look at the way he tried to illegally prorogue parliament. I thought that was the end for him but he just carried on regardless and most people seem to have forgotten about it.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 22-May-23 16:49:14

She would have qualified for a private course HPQ, that’s pretty obvious now.

And it’s usual for a junior barrister who is appointed Attorney General to be made a QC/KC at the same time. She’s not the first and it’s not ‘a stunning coincidence’ at all.

MayBee70 Mon 22-May-23 18:02:44

Who have been in that position before? I thought you had to be well versed in the law to be given the position of Attorney General.

HousePlantQueen Mon 22-May-23 18:12:16

Germanshepherdsmum

She would have qualified for a private course HPQ, that’s pretty obvious now.

And it’s usual for a junior barrister who is appointed Attorney General to be made a QC/KC at the same time. She’s not the first and it’s not ‘a stunning coincidence’ at all.

Really? Could you provide a list if previous Attorney Generals to back up your claim? I do understand, by the way, that one has to be a QC/KC to qualify. I thought that one had to have a decent period of KC experience before being recommended for the position

growstuff Mon 22-May-23 18:27:59

Apart from Braverman, 21st century Attorney Generals have been:

Peter Goldsmith
Patricia Scotland
Dominic Grieve
Jeremy Wright
Geoffrey Cox
Michael Ellis
Victoria Prentis

I'll leave others to Google their CVs.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 22-May-23 19:37:28

You can Google them HPQ. One does not have to be a QC/KC to qualify so your understanding is incorrect.