Gransnet forums

News & politics

Braverman attempts a cover up.

(291 Posts)
Wyllow3 Sun 21-May-23 23:27:14

She asked her civil servants to try two things after speeding

1. to arrange a completely safety private course to avoid being reported

2. then she asked to be entered for a course anonymously.

They refused as it was not in their remit.

So she took the points.

This was reported widely as in including the Guardian and the Mail, but its become an issue for two reasons

the attempted cover up
and asking civil servants to collude with the cover up.

Its the second which in my mind is possibly the most reprehensible.

Both speak to her character however - "I am different, I am better, I can be above the law. (and I want to hide my wrong-doings)

Hopefully, another nail in the coffin, tho unlikely to be a sackable offence?

ronib Thu 25-May-23 10:27:12

Daily Telegraph, The Mail, Unherd etc
Just type Baroness Falkner

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-May-23 10:29:54

Not sure that can find anything relevant to Braverman ronib...?

Dinahmo Thu 25-May-23 10:34:35

From the BBC website:

The head of Britain's equality watchdog is being investigated after bullying and discrimination allegations were made by staff.

The claims against Baroness Falkner, and other members of the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) board, were seen by Channel 4 News.

Baroness Falkner said she will present a "detailed rebuttal" to the investigators working on the case.

Some campaigners say the EHRC is not protecting transgender rights.

Last year campaigners called for the EHRC's status as an independent group to be revoked over a row about its response to Scotland's plans to make it easier for people to change their sex on their birth certificate.

Further tensions have since emerged after Baroness Falkner advised the UK government that it was worth considering redefining sex as "biological sex" in the Equality Act, in an area that she described as "polarised and contentious".

A clarification to the Equality Act could make it easier to exclude transgender people from single-sex spaces.

Earlier this month, 30 LGBTQ+ charities led by Stonewall wrote to the Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions, saying the EHRC was a "failed institution" and "set on a course that would lead directly to a rolling back of trans people's rights in Great Britain".

Details of the allegations have not been shared by the watchdog, but Channel 4 News reported on Tuesday that some staff had said:

there had been an "increase in bullying, harassment and discrimination" within the EHRC
impartiality and independence from government is "under threat"
the EHRC chair and board have been "assisting the government in undermining trans rights by proposing amendments to the Equality Act".

MaizieD Thu 25-May-23 10:36:27

NotSpaghetti

Not sure that can find anything relevant to Braverman ronib...?

Maybe ronib should have started a new thread about Falkner.
The only connection with Braverman is 'witch hunt'.

ronib Thu 25-May-23 10:45:08

MaizieD thought it interesting that the moment the herd had moved on from SB, the next victim emerges.
More a statement of the way the Uk works just now. So there is a connection.

MaizieD Thu 25-May-23 11:02:53

ronib

MaizieD thought it interesting that the moment the herd had moved on from SB, the next victim emerges.

I know. I pointed out the 'connection'.

Nicenanny3 Thu 25-May-23 11:04:48

It the Woke Left BLOB out to get anyone who disagrees with their beliefs.

ronib Thu 25-May-23 11:25:07

MaiIeD silly me- hadn’t thought that ‘witch hunt’ meant a connection. I took it at face value and assumed it was your assessment of Suella Braverman. So it wasn’t? How wonderful.

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-May-23 11:59:02

ronib

OK. Thank you for elucidating!
I had assumed a link.
It was the words "witch hunt".

NotSpaghetti Thu 25-May-23 12:07:14

Unfortunately, I think there is more to see with the Rwanda/Braverman connection so I'm not sure everyone is "moving on" from SB just yet!

I seem to remember there were articles written in about 2015 regarding the charity setting up that weren't terribly favourable- I seem to remember some of the big international firms saw it as a marketing bonus in that Africa would be a pot of gold in the future.

I think De Beers were involved. I know someone senior there gave a speech about it... Although I'm sure they have been "cleaning up" I'm not sure they are quite there yet!

MayBee70 Thu 25-May-23 12:13:02

I didn’t realise that this National Conservative group that she is involved with isn’t just about this country but is a worldwide organisation that includes some pretty unsavoury people ( it was discussed at length in the latest The Rest is Politics podcast). They also said that if Sunak sacks her she will become a martyr if the far right and when the Conservatives lose the next election it will strengthen her bid to become party leader. Everything about the current government stinks. And on top of it we have Johnson and Truss gallivanting around the world making a fortune when they should be doing their day job. I’ve never know a political period in which the government are involved in scandal upon scandal on a weekly basis and even Conservatives like Rory Stewart, Anna Soubry and Dominic Grieve are appalled by what their party has become. They are trying to change this country beyond recognition which, to me is the opposite of what a Conservative government should be.

MaizieD Thu 25-May-23 12:20:02

I didn’t realise that this National Conservative group that she is involved with isn’t just about this country but is a worldwide organisation that includes some pretty unsavoury people

Did you miss the recent thread about it, MayBee?

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1323496-I-fear-the-rise-of-National-Conservatism?msgid=30061306

I do agree with your post..

Wyllow3 Thu 25-May-23 12:29:21

Yes one of my main reasons from the start for my wishing another in her post,

with no connections to the National Conservative group

international group embedding themselves in the Conservative party and other institutions.

Very, very dangerous.

Oreo Thu 25-May-23 13:06:49

ronib

Just caught up on the next witch hunt- Baroness Falkner, 40 civil servants, channel 4, leaks etc.
Is this a record in turnaround time?

There’s always another witch hunt to be had, and the media rely on them to sell news.

Dinahmo Thu 25-May-23 16:17:16

Back to Braverman - Marina Hyde in the Guardian -

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/23/westminster-suella-braverman-three-points-speed-awareness-course