Gransnet forums

News & politics

54 migrants rescued this morning in French waters are brought to UK

(254 Posts)
Primrose53 Sat 12-Aug-23 09:14:30

They were just 4 miles off the French coast yet ended up in Dover as usual!!

We have given France 500MILLION to sort things their end. They must be laughing their heads off.

MerylStreep Tue 22-Aug-23 21:15:12

Grantanow

For heaven's sake, we should be congratulating the sailors and volunteers who save migrants' lives at sea.

But it’s not getting any easier for the crews.
I was told this information by a retired harbour master at Dover.
Here it is in print.

news.sky.com/story/migrant-crisis-unsustainable-pressure-on-rnli-to-rescue-people-crossing-channel-12727033

Primrose53 Tue 22-Aug-23 21:30:11

MerylStreep

Grantanow

For heaven's sake, we should be congratulating the sailors and volunteers who save migrants' lives at sea.

Here it is in print.

news.sky.com/story/migrant-crisis-unsustainable-pressure-on-rnli-to-rescue-people-crossing-channel-12727033

I’ve mentioned my friend who is a volunteer with RNLI on here several times. She works onshore getting the boats ready for the next shout at a very busy lifeboat station.

She has had literally hundreds of holidaymakers come up to her while she is working and saying they will no longer donate to RNLI as they do not agree with them being used as a Taxi service. Luckily we don’t get the dinghies up here but if we did she says she would resign because she believes it is wrong and they should not even be allowed to leave the French coast.

Iam64 Tue 22-Aug-23 21:41:14

Why shouldn’t ‘they be allowed to leave the French coast’

Casdon Tue 22-Aug-23 21:42:44

Primrose53

MerylStreep

Grantanow

Here it is in print.

I’ve mentioned my friend who is a volunteer with RNLI on here several times. She works onshore getting the boats ready for the next shout at a very busy lifeboat station.

She has had literally hundreds of holidaymakers come up to her while she is working and saying they will no longer donate to RNLI as they do not agree with them being used as a Taxi service. Luckily we don’t get the dinghies up here but if we did she says she would resign because she believes it is wrong and they should not even be allowed to leave the French coast.

Donations to the RNLI increased by £6.3m last year.
rnli.org/about-us/how-the-rnli-is-run/annual-report-and-accounts

Primrose53 Tue 22-Aug-23 22:23:13

Iam64

Why shouldn’t ‘they be allowed to leave the French coast’

Because we have paid the French millions to stop them getting on rubber dinghies.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 23-Aug-23 02:12:42

casdon yes - each time there is a high profile rescue, the donations pour in.

Heartening I think.

Joseann Wed 23-Aug-23 06:47:45

Our town has its own independent lifeboat service which relies totally on donations. It is always busy, especially in the summer and provides a fantastic service to the area. Personally, although I have respect for all human life, I wouldn't be at all pleased if this particular crew had to engage in other activities.

Iam64 Wed 23-Aug-23 07:56:22

The coast of France covers hundreds of miles, difficult to police.

Joseann Wed 23-Aug-23 08:11:48

I think the Dunkeque to Dieppe coastline is about 90 miles (80 or so nautical miles). Quite a challenge, but not insurmountable. I don't think anyone would be sensible setting off in a little boat from Brittany.
Apparently more immigrants are now resorting to attempting the ferry crossing methods under their own steam. That's why I am more irritated by the useless checks at the ports after all the money Rishi provided.

Nicenanny3 Wed 23-Aug-23 08:48:14

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Iam64 Wed 23-Aug-23 09:17:18

near fuel station Caen saw group of 5 very dark men hanging around the lorries

Never let us down do you nicenanny -

foxie48 Wed 23-Aug-23 09:20:47

Iam64 I so wish there was a "like" button!

Nicenanny3 Wed 23-Aug-23 09:41:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nicenanny3 Wed 23-Aug-23 09:55:13

TikTok Channel migrant's journey to Britain: Asylum seeker posts series of astonishing videos which show him travelling through France, laughing with friends on a tiny dinghy then watching TV in a luxury UK hotel
By Tom Cotterill and Elizabeth Haigh
Updated 00:27, 23 Aug 2023

Like holiday a holiday video 😊

Freya5 Wed 23-Aug-23 11:11:45

Wonder where he's from, Well France obviously. Maybe Afghanistan, another professed helper of allied forces,or a Taliban insurgent. Guess we will never know.

maddyone Wed 23-Aug-23 11:21:56

I saw this. He’s from Afghanistan.

Nicenanny3 Wed 23-Aug-23 15:48:40

Message withdrawn as it quotes a deleted post.

varian Sat 26-Aug-23 19:05:00

Perhaps these men were Afghans and perhaps they had helped the British army and perhaps they were left behind at the chaotic evacuation at Khabuil airport.

If they were, then we owe them sanctuary here in the UK.

Nicenanny3 Sat 26-Aug-23 19:20:24

They weren't Afghans.

varian Sat 26-Aug-23 19:25:01

Perhaps not Afghan but genuine refugees fleeing from a life threatening situation.

In a civilised country asylum seeker would have their asyluim claims processed in a few months.

Nicenanny3 Sun 27-Aug-23 08:13:17

A life threatening situation in France😊

DiamondLily Sun 27-Aug-23 08:21:04

varian

Perhaps not Afghan but genuine refugees fleeing from a life threatening situation.

In a civilised country asylum seeker would have their asyluim claims processed in a few months.

They could be, or they might not be.

Until we can clear the backlog of processing, which is better for everyone, and get some control over who is who, it's impossible to say.

The backlog is causing most of the problems - those eligible to stay cannot work and build a life, and those not eligible to remain cannot be deported.🙁

Casdon Sun 27-Aug-23 08:24:44

Nicenanny3

A life threatening situation in France😊

Nicenanny3 please explain exactly why you believe that France has the responsibility to house asylum seekers who are transitioning through their country with the sole intention of reaching the UK?

Nicenanny3 Mon 28-Aug-23 07:54:07

🤔 Why is that my homework for the weekend will I get detention if I don't?

Iam64 Mon 28-Aug-23 08:26:46

Yes nicenanny, I reported your racist comment and see it was deleted.
Your comment to Casdon only confirms the lack of concern you have for people seeking asylum.