Gransnet forums

News & politics

54 migrants rescued this morning in French waters are brought to UK

(254 Posts)
Primrose53 Sat 12-Aug-23 09:14:30

They were just 4 miles off the French coast yet ended up in Dover as usual!!

We have given France 500MILLION to sort things their end. They must be laughing their heads off.

Vintagewhine Mon 14-Aug-23 07:02:19

There's as much chance of someone coming to create murder and mayhem on a jumbo jet from the USA or anywhere else for that matter than in a sinking boat from France. Honestly that's a rather ridiculous comment!

growstuff Mon 14-Aug-23 07:06:58

I know this is anecdotal, but I wouldn't betting it's not a "one off".

My son-in-law's father comes from Sudan. He has a brother who lives in Canada and another brother who trained as a doctor in Australia, but returned to Sudan (although he could have applied for an Australian visa) to help his own people.

The third brother has a son, who is my son-law's first cousin. This young man is a dentist and is not active politically. A few weeks ago, he was beaten up and left for dead in the streets of Khartoum by. He was caught up in the civil war. Fortunately, he survived and was taken home, where his own father treated him.

He has no idea why he was a target - probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time - but the whole family is now anxious about leaving home. Friends and neighbours bring them essential supplies.

I know from my son-in-law that family members are encouraging them to emigrate and it must be very tempting when he can see his uncles and cousins living in relatively peaceful countries. However, the situation in Sudan is currently so chaotic that applying for a visa isn't realistic. The family is relatively affluent, so could afford to pay somebody to "help" them escape. I hope they don't choose that option, but if the situation in Sudan doesn't settle down, they might seriously consider it.

They have a lot more to offer than murder and mayhem.

Joseann Mon 14-Aug-23 07:31:06

Another anecdote here .... I'm on holiday in very white, British middle-class Cotswolds. Yesterday we attended a church service, and so many of the prayers being posted on the Chapel board were about the safety of migrants the world over. No one wants these people to suffer, either when fleeing or in their own country.

Greta Mon 14-Aug-23 07:37:09

"Some also offer nothing but murder and mayhem". This is the sort of inflammatory comment that we now expect in any conversation about "illegal" immigrants. I find it shocking.

Iam64 Mon 14-Aug-23 07:57:12

Thanks growstuff for posting information about a family who may decide to leave their own country to seek safety.
My anecdote involves a family from a war torn African country. They had to leave because the father had opposed the current government. Mr and Mrs qualified teachers with good English. They became excellent foster carers. Mrs the primary carer, Mr working in the school set up to help asylum seeking children learn English. The couple’s own children all over 18 and either working or at university.
Not all asylum seekers offer nothing but murder and mayhem. Any more than our own established British population do.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Aug-23 09:59:01

My anecdote. I have a neighbour who sought sanctuary from an African country, is working as a mental health nurse - well actually he is now promoted and working from home and London for Health England. Has a British born partner snd they have two little boys.
He loves cooking and we frequently receive slices of cake he has made☺️. Lemon drizzle being his speciality.

If he arrived today, he would be on the barge - and the thought of such a fine man being treated so, is too hard to think about.

growstuff Mon 14-Aug-23 10:52:42

It's easy to skim over reports like this one about the death toll in Khartoum:

www.reuters.com/world/africa/sudan-war-kills-more-than-twice-many-civilians-khartoum-officially-reported-2023-07-28/

However, when somebody with a connection almost ended up as one of the statistics, it hits home.

Grantanow Thu 17-Aug-23 15:19:52

For heaven's sake, we should be congratulating the sailors and volunteers who save migrants' lives at sea.

Nicenanny3 Sun 20-Aug-23 10:51:21

Or perhaps condemning the human trafficking gangs.

foxie48 Sun 20-Aug-23 11:42:48

Nicenanny3

Or perhaps condemning the human trafficking gangs.

I think it goes without saying that everyone "condemns" the human traffickers, it's the posts that complain about British boats saving people in French waters that posts are responding to.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 20-Aug-23 11:48:40

I see the HO civil servants had developed a plan for a more humane treatment of the asylum seekers praised by the UN

Braverman has vetoed it. Heart of stone.

varian Mon 21-Aug-23 18:57:23

She has to go.

A few years back we could not imagine a worse Home Secretary than Pritti Patel.

But Johnson, (or was it Truss?) actually found a worse one in Suella Braverman and to his eternal shame Sunak has not yet had the gumption or the integrity to sack her.

maddyone Mon 21-Aug-23 23:25:59

Today we picked up 755 migrants. Over the weekend we picked up around one thousand.
One question, where do we put them all?

foxie48 Tue 22-Aug-23 09:21:51

Maddyone would you mind adding your source to these stats, they would appear to differ from the UK Govt ones. Clearly if these numbers are correct we can't continue to house them in barges or send them off to Rwanda. The UK is a small part of a worldwide migrant crisis but other countries seem to be much more efficient at coping with this crisis, despite dealing with much higher numbers, than we are.

maddyone Tue 22-Aug-23 12:09:56

Only saw it on the news foxie so don’t have any links.
Hopefully it’s incorrect.

Shantygirly Tue 22-Aug-23 13:31:50

Joseann

Another anecdote here .... I'm on holiday in very white, British middle-class Cotswolds. Yesterday we attended a church service, and so many of the prayers being posted on the Chapel board were about the safety of migrants the world over. No one wants these people to suffer, either when fleeing or in their own country.

It must be lovely to live in a Cotswold village/small town.

I wonder if they would feel the same if they were having 1,200 young men dumped on their doorstep? 1,200 young men who will be left free to roam the town at will. Getting a phone call if they are not 'home' by 11pm, just to make sure they are ok? What about the residents who will not feel safe when they arrive? Who is going to worry about their safety?

It won't happen there will it?, too many rich Conservatives living in the Cotswolds!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Aug-23 13:38:51

There are ‘rich Conservatives’ living in areas where migrants are housed, I assure you.

Casdon Tue 22-Aug-23 13:55:45

Shantygirly

Joseann

I wonder if they would feel the same if they were having 1,200 young men dumped on their doorstep? 1,200 young men who will be left free to roam the town at will. Getting a phone call if they are not 'home' by 11pm, just to make sure they are ok? What about the residents who will not feel safe when they arrive? Who is going to worry about their safety?

It won't happen there will it?, too many rich Conservatives living in the Cotswolds!

You can’t be serious surely Shanygirly? There’s a dispersal arrangement, whereby every council area in the UK is allocated their proportion of migrants by central government?

Primrose53 Tue 22-Aug-23 16:36:50

maddyone

Today we picked up 755 migrants. Over the weekend we picked up around one thousand.
One question, where do we put them all?

Correct and since it’s been a beautiful day today, no doubt even more today.

Shantygirly Tue 22-Aug-23 19:20:54

Casdon

Shantygirly

Joseann

You can’t be serious surely Shanygirly? There’s a dispersal arrangement, whereby every council area in the UK is allocated their proportion of migrants by central government?

What part of my comment did you think I was not being serious? Did you think it a joke?

1,200 men, aged from 18 to 30 to be 'dispersed' to a residential area in my town.

Our chocolate teapot of a Conservative MP is doing nothing

Casdon Tue 22-Aug-23 19:26:00

Shantygirly

Casdon

Shantygirly

Joseann

What part of my comment did you think I was not being serious? Did you think it a joke?

1,200 men, aged from 18 to 30 to be 'dispersed' to a residential area in my town.

Our chocolate teapot of a Conservative MP is doing nothing

I meant you couldn’t be serious about there being no migrants in the Cotswolds, or indeed anywhere else in the UK Shantygirl. You having 1,200 sited near where you live doesn’t mean other people don’t have any because they live in a nice part of the country. There are now over 100,000 waiting for their claims to be processed.

Fleurpepper Tue 22-Aug-23 19:46:16

A group of migrants was found burnt alive on the Greek/Turkish border.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Aug-23 19:51:33

And?

foxie48 Tue 22-Aug-23 20:10:30

Germanshepherdsmum

And?

I thought what a horrible way to die and if they can't identify you, how can your family find out what has happened to you? Just the normal thoughts that people have!

Fleurpepper Tue 22-Aug-23 20:49:00

Germanshepherdsmum

And?

The Greeks and the Turks argue about their respective responsibility. 26 so far- burnt alive in the most horrific way.

Human beings, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters , grandsons and grand-daughters

and you say

And?

clap perhaps?