Gransnet forums

News & politics

So just how will the carehome & NHS vacancies be filled now?

(43 Posts)
CvD66 Tue 05-Dec-23 13:35:58

With vacancies running at 42,306 for nurses (NHS stats) and 165,000 for care home staff (Skills for care stats), where can these organisations get staff? By increasing entry salary levels for foreigners to the UK to £38,700 pa, the Home Secretary has knocked on the head the current recruitment routes. This government cares nothing that our population is becoming older and sicker, as long as the right wing of the party see the migration numbers come down!

MaizieD Tue 05-Dec-23 20:30:15

NotSpaghetti

*NHS Nurse Band 4 - £27,586
*Junior Doctor starting salary -£32,300
*Construction Labourer average salary - £23,000
*Care Worker average salary - £23,410
*Farm Worker average salary - £23,400
*University Lecturer average starting salary - £34,804

Just a small selection
^copied from Dr Alex Bulat (Cambs) on Twitter/X^

What is the context of these salaries, NotSpaghetti?. Are these the proposed requirements for granting a visa?

growstuff Tue 05-Dec-23 22:05:18

They look to me like actual current salaries, none of which would give eligibility for work visas under the newly announced plans.

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Dec-23 22:42:17

Sorry, no MaizieD - I came upon these current salaries and was amazed that we are pushing up the minimums.

I do realise that there will apparently be different ones for caring professionals of course.

MaizieD Wed 06-Dec-23 09:34:57

NotSpaghetti

Sorry, no MaizieD - I came upon these current salaries and was amazed that we are pushing up the minimums.

I do realise that there will apparently be different ones for caring professionals of course.

Sorry. It wasn't clear whether they were examples of jobs which wouldn't get a visa under the new regulations or something to do with the exemptions under those regulations which are said to exist.

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Dec-23 10:50:14

No worries, Maizie
Though I read this today which will be scary for quite a few I think:

Brits could see their foreign partners told to leave the country the next time their visa comes up for renewal – if their household does not earn £38,700, No 10 said.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/foreign-spouse-visa-uk-migration-crackdown-b2459168.html

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Dec-23 10:50:47

There was a piece on the radio about it earlier too.

MaizieD Wed 06-Dec-23 12:02:07

NotSpaghetti

No worries, Maizie
Though I read this today which will be scary for quite a few I think:

Brits could see their foreign partners told to leave the country the next time their visa comes up for renewal – if their household does not earn £38,700, No 10 said.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/foreign-spouse-visa-uk-migration-crackdown-b2459168.html

That is what I was trying to point out in my initial post. 😀

I was surprised that other posters didn't seem to understand the implications for British citizens of the proposals.

(I'm not trying to be niggly. In fact I'm glad that someone else has picked up on this too...)

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Dec-23 12:13:54

As the article says, there is never a guarantee that a visa will be renewed when it expires. There has been criticism of dependants coming into the country with insufficient means of support. This should help to ensure that they don’t become dependent on the taxpayer.

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Dec-23 12:42:36

Many UK families are living on less than the "minimum" though GSM - it doesn't mean they are a burden on society. My daughter's little family is living below this level. She works part time, her husband full time and they have a young daughter. They are over the threshold for benefits and still pay tax (and volunteer in the community).

If families/couples have been living here for years on less than the £38,000 why should we split them up?

NotSpaghetti Wed 06-Dec-23 12:48:09

I think we are on the same page with this Maizie and did read the BBC article.

I think the ban on care workers (and probably others) bringing family dependants to the UK is shortsighted.

HousePlantQueen Wed 06-Dec-23 12:49:07

Germanshepherdsmum

As the article says, there is never a guarantee that a visa will be renewed when it expires. There has been criticism of dependants coming into the country with insufficient means of support. This should help to ensure that they don’t become dependent on the taxpayer.

Many working here on visas have no recourse to public funds

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Dec-23 13:13:38

Indeed HPQ, not directly, but they may be the partner of someone who does. Hence the requirement for a household income above a certain threshold.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Dec-23 13:16:34

They might have been living in the UK for years NS, but only by virtue of a visa which grants a temporary right only. They know that renewal is not guaranteed.

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Dec-23 00:26:58

It is less guaranteed GSM if they must overnight earn an extra £10,000

Grantanow Fri 08-Dec-23 11:29:05

In the current situation of an ageing population immigration is essential to provide workers in a wide range of businesses including the NHS and care sectors. The boat refugees are a tiny percentage of immigrants which the Tories exploit to attract votes from those opposed to or fearful of immigrants. We need to institute more safe and legal routes of entry for refugees.

Cold Fri 22-Dec-23 00:38:36

Interesting that the government has already watered down this policy without announcing the u-turn formally, quietly while everyone is thinking of Christmas
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/21/home-office-reduces-earning-threshold-hike-for-family-visa

Grantanow Fri 22-Dec-23 13:37:16

The Tories created the hostile environment policy, we had a Brexit based on cutting down immigration and the loss of free movement and there is publicity about the Rwanda scheme. All of that probably makes would be immigrant workers think twice before applying for jobs and visas just as many EU workers left the UK because they felt unwelcome after Brexit. Touting for anti-immigrant votes shoots us in the foot because, as an ageing population, we need immigration for the public services like the NHS and for business. The Tories are using the Rwanda scheme as a massive distraction from their many failures and it will likely be followed by tax cut bribes.