Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pro Palestinian supporters destroy painting of Lord Balfour

(116 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Mar-24 16:12:27

This happened today at Trinity College, Cambridge University.

Totally unacceptable and unjustifiable.

Allsorts Fri 08-Mar-24 16:15:21

Of course that’s unacceptable, who could think otherwise.

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-24 16:18:35

The Church where he is buried, guarded I hope

Mikky Fri 08-Mar-24 16:28:04

This is getting totally out of control now. I don’t see how all this vandalism can help anyone and they only do it because they can get away with it.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 08-Mar-24 16:53:06

It’s completely unacceptable. Thankfully Trinity is a very rich college and can afford to have the painting restored, but that’s not the point. I hope the vandal is caught and imprisoned. The public are allowed entry to college and other premises to view their treasures as a privilege, which can easily be withdrawn. That would be a great loss. Is King’s College chapel next on their list? I despair.

Joseann Fri 08-Mar-24 17:15:35

Was it a student of the college? They should be removed from the course.
(As an aside, why was she walking round with a rucksack on her back? Most museums and art galleries I've been to ask you to leave anything bigger than a handbag in the cloakroom).
Totally unacceptable yes.

Smileless2012 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:18:58

If this was done by a student, I hope they're expelled and prosecuted.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 08-Mar-24 17:20:25

👍🏻

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-24 17:26:43

Museums, Art Galleries, etc will be more fearful now

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:27:18

The vandal also slashed the painting…

Anniebach Fri 08-Mar-24 17:31:59

Frightening

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 08-Mar-24 17:32:24

It can be repaired (at vast expense). Why anyone is allowed in with a backpack is beyond me.

Grantanow Fri 08-Mar-24 17:33:37

Counter-productive and stupid. If it was an undergraduate s/he should be sent down as unable to benefit from what Cambridge has to offer.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 08-Mar-24 17:34:06

Germanshepherdsmum

It can be repaired (at vast expense). Why anyone is allowed in with a backpack is beyond me.

It looks like the Mulberry bag which can be handbag and/or back pack.

Galaxy Fri 08-Mar-24 19:13:35

£1000 when first came out, £500 now.

ronib Fri 08-Mar-24 20:28:05

Completely pointless senseless gesture politics. So entitled too.

maddyone Sat 09-Mar-24 11:07:11

ronib

Completely pointless senseless gesture politics. So entitled too.

Agreed.

Ilovecheese Sat 09-Mar-24 11:12:02

Why have you put "supporters " as plural when it was one person only?

pascal30 Sat 09-Mar-24 11:20:01

How can anyone be so deluded to think this furthers the Palestinian cause.. beyond me

GrannyGravy13 Sat 09-Mar-24 11:21:28

Ilovecheese

Why have you put "supporters " as plural when it was one person only?

When I first saw this story online they were saying supporters news stories change/evolve as more facts become available.

paddyann54 Sat 09-Mar-24 11:21:49

It got them noticed! In a world that has sat on its hands for decades ,surely the lives lost are more important than a painting of a man who publicly acknowledged he had made mistakes in his "declaration" of a Jewish homeland.Mistakes that cost Palestinians dear.
I have no interest in this old boy except for this mess that he left behind.This might make new generations take a fresh look at the mess politicians leave in their wake ,hopefully someone can find a solution...even all these decades later and in this way he might have been useful after all...or not!

pascal30 Sat 09-Mar-24 11:40:36

paddyann54

It got them noticed! In a world that has sat on its hands for decades ,surely the lives lost are more important than a painting of a man who publicly acknowledged he had made mistakes in his "declaration" of a Jewish homeland.Mistakes that cost Palestinians dear.
I have no interest in this old boy except for this mess that he left behind.This might make new generations take a fresh look at the mess politicians leave in their wake ,hopefully someone can find a solution...even all these decades later and in this way he might have been useful after all...or not!

I completely agree with you about the mistakes made, and I really hope it does get the new generations looking afresh at how this conflict had arisen but I don't really think that actions like this will further the cause unfortunately.. I say this as a member of the Palestinian Solidarity Campaign

Anniebach Sat 09-Mar-24 11:48:42

It will do the very opposite, watched a video yesterday, people taking Palastinian flags off lampposts and other public places
saying ‘we have not been occupied’ . Saw a video of a man with the usual scarves on claiming’this is no longer a Christian Country’

Aveline Sat 09-Mar-24 11:50:27

It got them noticed but in a very negative way. It risks painting pro Palestinian protesters as vandalous idiots.

nanna8 Sat 09-Mar-24 12:37:17

Good luck to them with Palestinian rules. They are not lenient on what they think of as sinners. I wouldn’t want to be homosexual, an adulterer, a trans gender person or even consider such a sin as abortion where they come from.