Gransnet forums

News & politics

Too many Union Jacks say Labour MP’s !

(402 Posts)
vickymeldrew Sat 30-Mar-24 09:34:59

Interesting article in the Guardian this morning.
Labour MPs and activists say their campaign literature has too much emphasis on our national flag. Many ethnic minorities equate the flag with the far right, so it should not be shown as prominently .
Comments please.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Mar-24 09:37:27

So we are now ruled by the sensitivities of ethnic minorities who choose to live in this country but don’t like the national flag?

Spinnaker Sat 30-Mar-24 09:42:21

Can I suggest then that the ethnic minorities educate themselves that the Union Jack isn't the flag of the far right, it's the flag of this country and has been for a very long time. If they choose to live in this country then respect what's already in place.

Witzend Sat 30-Mar-24 09:43:54

I thought it was the England (St George) flag that is (sadly IMO) associated with the far right.

paddyann54 Sat 30-Mar-24 09:47:56

Its not just ethnic minorities that hate the butchers apron ,it has connotations of subjugation,pillage ,rape and murder across the globe starting on the British isles and spreading like a pandemic.Many here have no wish to be associated with it .
AND before anyone says Scotland was involved in those things,try remembering when we lost our Independence our population was @1 million...if half of that was women and children then whats left many were forced into joining the Navy and armed force of the time.As witnessed recently in Westminster SCOTLAND DOESN'T HAVE A SAY ,Starmer and his dirty dealings with the speaker saw that over the Gaza issue
.I refuse to take the blame for a huge majority in and out of Westminster.When we gain our Independence we'll happily take the blame and consequences for all and any mistakes we make.Until then take your butchers apron and all the horrors it contains and take the blame that goes with it

Aveline Sat 30-Mar-24 10:03:39

Oh she's off again! Bringing sectarian nonsense into modern life. We live in Britain. This is our flag.

Cherrytree59 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:04:26

Well good morning to you on this beautiful Easter weekend
I am just back from France and their national flag is everywhere.
Do they get a reprieve because of the Auld Alliance paddyann ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Mar-24 10:07:58

What a very unpleasant post from paddyann. Not that that’s unusual.

LauraNorderr Sat 30-Mar-24 10:09:14

Ten out of ten for tenacity PaddyAnn.

zakouma66 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:25:38

I don't care about flags, I don't care about nationalism or tribalism. I'm not proud to be British. I wanted to be European.

AmberSpyglass Sat 30-Mar-24 10:28:46

Firmly agree

Visgir1 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:30:24

Marks out of ten Paddyanne54 for still hoping Scotland will get Independence, that ship has long sailed.

Rosie51 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:35:10

zakouma66

I don't care about flags, I don't care about nationalism or tribalism. I'm not proud to be British. I wanted to be European.

In what way aren't you European? Britain is part of Europe even though we left an economic union. Or do you confine being European just to those countries that remain in the EU? Tell the Swiss and Norwegians they're not European and see the response you'll get.
I think you'll find most French, Germans, Italians etc consider themselves their own nationality and European.

AmberSpyglass Sat 30-Mar-24 10:38:37

And PaddyAnn is spot on.

MaizieD Sat 30-Mar-24 10:39:16

I didn't mind seeing the Union flag plastered all over everything during the 'Backing Britain' campaign in the 1960s because it had a purpose that touched the UK and most people were behind it.

I loathe seeing the flag used as it is today, a contested symbol in a culture war; it's childish 'Ner, ner, ni, ner ner, I'm more patriotic than you', 😱 and undignified. I wish that both parties would just grow up..

I have a lot of sympathy with what PaddyAnn says about the Union flag being a symbol of repression and slavery in some eyes. But then, I also have a lot of time for the Scottish wish for independence and I have no problem with passionate posts on the topic.

Glorianny Sat 30-Mar-24 10:39:35

I don't mind flags being flown over buildings and places, I don't see why a Union jack needs to be on any political literature.
Nationalism in moderation is fine (although I wouldn't subscribe) but it can be toxic. Internationalism and respect for all people transcends parties and borders.

vegansrock Sat 30-Mar-24 10:44:27

What is the point of a flag anyway- all this faux patriotism and we are better than you malarkey. Why do political parties need to plaster it on their literature anyway? It’s not like they are electioneering in another country

zakouma66 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:46:33

Any minute now somebody will tell us about " The French" and their love of country and flag.

petra Sat 30-Mar-24 10:47:55

zakouma66

There is an answer to that but there might be some purl clutching if I were to spell it out but I’m sure you get my drift.

icanhandthemback Sat 30-Mar-24 10:48:47

Cherrytree59

Well good morning to you on this beautiful Easter weekend
I am just back from France and their national flag is everywhere.
Do they get a reprieve because of the Auld Alliance paddyann ?

France wasn't exactly innocent in days gone by but they don't get the flack for flying their flag the way we do. How sad that patriotism and its symbols are denigrated by those in our Union.

Smileless2012 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:50:52

Did you miss Cherrytree's post zakouma?

zakouma66 Sat 30-Mar-24 10:54:13

Clearly, yes

MissAdventure Sat 30-Mar-24 10:59:56

People like waving flags and hanging up bunting.
Nothing at all wrong with it, just as there is nothing wrong with being proud to be British, or proud to be black, white, or sky blue pink.

flappergirl Sat 30-Mar-24 11:01:38

vegansrock

What is the point of a flag anyway- all this faux patriotism and we are better than you malarkey. Why do political parties need to plaster it on their literature anyway? It’s not like they are electioneering in another country

Exactly.

Like it or not, the Union Flag (it is not the Union Jack by the way) has been hijacked by far right groups. It is disingenuous to deny it. I live on a very white, Brexiteer, Nigel Farage loving council estate (they'd be Trump voters in the USA) where the flag is displayed in windows or on flag poles. Trust me, this has nothing to do with patriotism. It is making a very specific statement.

To return to vegansrock's point. We all know the various political parties are campaigning in Britain. Why do we need the Union Flag on their literature to remind us?

Rosie51 Sat 30-Mar-24 11:01:46

zakouma66 no comment on why you aren't European now?