Gransnet forums

News & politics

School photos

(49 Posts)
sodapop Sat 30-Mar-24 15:14:58

Did anyone else hear or read about the school photographer taking class pictures at a school which had able and disabled children attending. Apparently he/she contacted the parents of the non disabled children asking them if they wanted the children with disabilities removed from their pictures. I am appalled that anyone could even think of this let alone do it.

Anniebach Sat 30-Mar-24 15:18:31

Yes I heard it, was so shocked

Astitchintime Sat 30-Mar-24 15:20:40

What a disgusting thing to even contemplate asking parents of non-disabled pupils! I hope that school, and many others, blacklist the photographer in question. angry

rafichagran Sat 30-Mar-24 16:58:35

I find this a contemptuous thing to do. I would never buy a photograph of him/her.
I would hit them where it hurts, in their pockets. How must the the parents if the disabled children have felt.
Also how did he/she know which parent was which.

JaneJudge Sat 30-Mar-24 16:59:55

it is a big company that has done this too. I think they do the majority of school photos

Galaxy Sat 30-Mar-24 17:15:59

Yes they do. It's not a small private photographer. It's a big company.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Mar-24 17:18:20

I read it and was horrified how dare they decide to remove some children They have apologised but I don’t think that’s good enough

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 30-Mar-24 17:18:41

What disabilities are you talking about?

Mollygo Sat 30-Mar-24 17:19:15

Unacceptable!
The head/bursar is a fault here as well, because they are not allowed to hand out names and addresses of children/parents at the whim of some non connected body. Even staff have to have a good reason for needing the address of a child.

Smileless2012 Sat 30-Mar-24 17:21:11

They didn't have to know which parent was which rafichagran two photo's were sent to each parent and one had any child(ren) 'removed' if they were disabled and I think if they had special needs.

What I don't understand is unless there's an obvious physical disability, how would the photographer know?

It's a horrible thing to have done and maybe all the parents can request the school contacts another photographer to have them all taken again, then this one wont get a penny.

Smileless2012 Sat 30-Mar-24 17:22:23

One child is a wheelchair user GSM and I'm sure the mother being interviewed whose D had also been removed said some of the children had special needs.

TerriBull Sat 30-Mar-24 17:31:01

Very hurtful to the children that were airbrushed out and to their parents. Things must have changed since my children were at school, I remember one of their class photos had a wheelchair bound child fully visible along with his classmates, and another in an earlier year's class photo had a Downs Syndrome child, and of course they should have been in those photos with the rest of their peer group, we're not living in Nazi Germany for heaven's sake, where only perfect Aryans are acceptable. Honestly, shocking!

Luckygirl3 Sat 30-Mar-24 17:37:05

Let us hope the school will not use that photographer again.

JaneJudge Sat 30-Mar-24 17:38:29

Germanshepherdsmum

What disabilities are you talking about?

it's an inclusive school so it could be anything.

school were not aware so I don't think it is the responsibility of the school. @Mollygo these companies give you a link to your own personal account with your child's photos on, so you make the decision as a parent to log on and buy (if you want to)

JaneJudge Sat 30-Mar-24 17:39:17

Luckygirl3

Let us hope the school will not use that photographer again.

Most schools use them. It is a very big company.

I'm being careful not to name them as they might sue me!

Doodledog Sat 30-Mar-24 17:41:55

If they have done it (and it is all over the papers) what can they charge you with? It's only slander or libel if you are lying, and you wouldn't be.

I think it's reprehensible. I really hope that parents don't buy the photos and the school(s) find another photographer.

Mollygo Sat 30-Mar-24 17:44:38

Thanks JJ. I didn’t realise that.
Our class photos and individual photos are done by the head and he wouldn’t dream of doing that.
Parents are asked if they don’t want their own children on the class photos at the same time as they are asked about using their children’s photos on the school FB page or if the newspaper comes to photo an event.

Galaxy Sat 30-Mar-24 17:45:20

Tempest.
They can sue me if they want. I suspect they will be too busy with damage limitation to bother.

Joseann Sat 30-Mar-24 17:46:19

The actual company, which has been going for many many years, may not have done the actual deed. Their photographers are freelance self employed individuals. Either the school suggested it and was complicit, or the individual photographer thought it would be a good idea.
The company by implication has now found itself in choppy waters.

Galaxy Sat 30-Mar-24 17:49:53

Unless the schools I work in are unusual (they are not) I would estimate that certainly in the younger age groups there are generally 25 % of the class who have additional needs, this is such an unpleasant and quite frankly weird thing to do.

Joseann Sat 30-Mar-24 17:55:24

Mollygo

Unacceptable!
The head/bursar is a fault here as well, because they are not allowed to hand out names and addresses of children/parents at the whim of some non connected body. Even staff have to have a good reason for needing the address of a child.

That would be illegal, it's against DPRs.

sodapop Sat 30-Mar-24 17:56:06

The company have said this is not their policy, however they are responsible for people they employ surely.
Apparently one little girl has impaired vision and wears thick glasses, the photographer suggested she took them off " to look pretty for her Mummy" dreadful.

MissInterpreted Sat 30-Mar-24 18:00:57

I can't even begin to imagine why anyone thought - even for one second - that this would be in any way acceptable. Why would the notion even cross their mind?

Callistemon21 Sat 30-Mar-24 18:01:45

I shocked. 😯
Speechless.

Callistemon21 Sat 30-Mar-24 18:02:19

Apparently one little girl has impaired vision and wears thick glasses, the photographer suggested she took them off " to look pretty for her Mummy" dreadful.
shock