Gransnet forums

News & politics

Security for all MPs

(159 Posts)
fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 10:19:56

I have copied and pasted the following from another thread.

QuoteCossy Tue 14-Jul-26 10:12:06
fancythat

Farage is a man who so far
has survived being hit by a car, testicular cancer, a wheel coming off his car on a French motorway and a plane crash.

Now the very sad murder of Ann Widecombe has happened.

No one can hardly blame the man for being a bit alarmed for his safety, going forward.

I think all MPs should be very aware of their own safety.

Are you suggesting, that all those events you’ve mentioned are somehow deliberate politically motivated acts? Surely not?

Add comment | Report | Private message | Quotefancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 10:15:42
No.

Add comment | Report | Private message | Quotefancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 10:17:31
Do you think the more outspoken , and the MPs more in the public eye should have better security than the others?

This may well be better talked about on a new thread, so as to take it off the Ann Widdecombe one.

MaizieD Tue 14-Jul-26 18:27:54

Luckygirl3

*woke lefties* .... what a silly phrase.

It was meant in part as a joking reference to the labels that anyone slightly leftish gets. But I seriously don’t recall people of that persuasion calling for violence against Farage or his followers.

Perhaps I’m not looking in the right place…

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 17:56:15

Casdon

I think we can safely say that Russian communism is not comprised of UK described ‘woke lefties’. I think we should stay away from discussing Russian politics and potential involvement in this altogether, it’s a whole different world.

Blimey! I always thought it was 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 17:53:59

Honestly, do people not read all posts on a thread.

I’m not sure how times it has to be repeated, Farage was offered fully funded security at the same level as all other party leaders.

Farage decided this wasn’t good enough and declined it.

In order to get more publicly funded security than he was offered, there would have to be documented evidence that he was at far greater risk than any other party leader.

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 17:52:11

I think we can safely say that Russian communism is not comprised of UK described ‘woke lefties’. I think we should stay away from discussing Russian politics and potential involvement in this altogether, it’s a whole different world.

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 17:47:45

fancythat

I googled "which Uk jobs have the highest murder rate".

AI answer
Sex workers, taxi drivers, and police officers face the highest rates of work-related homicide in the UK.

I am surprised about taxi drivers.

Sorry, I only specified public service employees.

Luckygirl3 Tue 14-Jul-26 17:41:34

woke lefties .... what a silly phrase.

fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 17:40:57

Before anyone says they havent seen anything about communism being mentioned

AI Overview Counter-terrorism police leading the murder investigation of Ann Widdecombe found varying political ideologies—including Russian and communist material—on the electronic devices of a 28-year-old man from Rotherham.

Ironically[or not, some posters know more than me], Farage alledged links with Russia may help with the above??

MT62 Tue 14-Jul-26 17:40:28

fancythat

The above is not very clear.
If someone does not understand what I have written I will try and help.

Basically speaking, do we think that all MPs should have the same level of security?

fwiw, I dont know how it all works at the moment.

Yes I think they should all receive the same level of security, especially NF, since people seem to have it in for him.
I absolutely don’t blame him for for going nuts over non security.

fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 17:37:24

I think that the people who loathe him, being woke lefties, are far less likely to do anything violent to him than some of his rightwing supporters would be to attack an MP they didn't care for.

I read somewhere that the man from Rotherham had communist material.

Ann Widecombe broadly has the same thoughts and speaks like Farage??
Some could disagree with me on that. Not exactly sure how true that is, but Reform is in common if nothing else.

Starting to lose my own train of thought.
Are communists woke lefties?
Not sure. Again, broadly the same??

Putting all the above together, and what do we have.

Yes, quite a lot of jumps in thoughts there.
But some will get my drift.

Kandinsky Tue 14-Jul-26 17:28:36

I think that the people who loathe him, being woke lefties, are far less likely to do anything violent to him

Maybe not - but they’ll spend plenty of time on the internet posting hate filled comments, not just about NF, but about anyone who votes for him.
Crikey, I remember the whole Brexit referendum, what some remainers were posting about anyone who voted leave was just off the scale.
‘Harmless woke lefties’ who ‘just’ say stuff online are all part of the problem.

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 17:18:09

MayBee70

If Farage was so worried about security and unlike most of us knew that she lived alone in a remote place, why didn't he use some of his £5m to protect her?

I really wanted to say this…..

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 17:08:58

MaizieD

^You dont think he is more at risk than others?^
I do.

Why is that, fancythat?

I think that the people who loathe him, being woke lefties, are far less likely to do anything violent to him than some of his rightwing supporters would be to attack an MP they didn't care for.

I actually think the bigger threat to him and other politicians is from those who are part of, or espouse, forces outside the UK. SupportingTrump, or Putin, for example, openly is a dangerous position to take at the moment.

Luckygirl3 Tue 14-Jul-26 16:49:41

Indeed - telling the public to respond with pure cold rage is a prime example of Farage getting away with inciting violence.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Jul-26 16:41:30

Luckygirl3

As I have said upthread, all public figures and MPs should be subject to the laws on hate crime and inciting violence. Farage skates quite close to the edge with these and he is aware of that.

That is why he is worried.

He has single-mindedly sought publicity for his views in the knowledge that these could cause distress to some communities.

Would any other MP/Party use the term pure cold rage?

MaizieD Tue 14-Jul-26 16:40:46

You dont think he is more at risk than others?
I do.

Why is that, fancythat?

I think that the people who loathe him, being woke lefties, are far less likely to do anything violent to him than some of his rightwing supporters would be to attack an MP they didn't care for.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Jul-26 16:40:32

Cossy

Surely all party leaders should be meeting together with our Home Secretary? Wouldn’t that be more open and more inclusive.

I’m assuming Farage, rather than Mahmoud, instigated this meeting?

I ask again, what genuinely makes Farage truly believe he is any more at risk, or any more vulnerable, than any other MP?

Or I can put it another way, does Farage believe he is more important somehow?

Farage has openly admitted “incidents” have occurred that he’s failed to report to the police, and in the “car” and “mob” incidence his insurance company.

Why?

Btw, whatever some might think, I’d ask this question about any other MP or party leader.

Take Lowe, for example, I don’t believe he doesn’t get threats against him, he’s says some truly awful stuff.

I’ve also seen some pretty awful comments on here, which some could call “vitriolic” about other party leaders.

Mahmoud asked to meet Farage, according to what she said in H o P.

Luckygirl3 Tue 14-Jul-26 16:37:52

As I have said upthread, all public figures and MPs should be subject to the laws on hate crime and inciting violence. Farage skates quite close to the edge with these and he is aware of that.

That is why he is worried.

He has single-mindedly sought publicity for his views in the knowledge that these could cause distress to some communities.

fancythat Tue 14-Jul-26 16:22:17

I ask again, what genuinely makes Farage truly believe he is any more at risk, or any more vulnerable, than any other MP

You dont think he is more at risk than others?
I do.

Would it surprise anyone if, out of all MPs, something happened to him?

There would be all sorts of, "I didnt like him but he is perfectly entitled to say his points" from numerous posters, if something did happen.
Could that be said of many other MPs. Maybe it could? [I cant say I know what all of them say.]
Which sort of hints in itself, that he is on the vulnerable, at risk list if there is one.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Jul-26 16:18:45

If Farage was so worried about security and unlike most of us knew that she lived alone in a remote place, why didn't he use some of his £5m to protect her?

Cossy Tue 14-Jul-26 16:17:17

Surely all party leaders should be meeting together with our Home Secretary? Wouldn’t that be more open and more inclusive.

I’m assuming Farage, rather than Mahmoud, instigated this meeting?

I ask again, what genuinely makes Farage truly believe he is any more at risk, or any more vulnerable, than any other MP?

Or I can put it another way, does Farage believe he is more important somehow?

Farage has openly admitted “incidents” have occurred that he’s failed to report to the police, and in the “car” and “mob” incidence his insurance company.

Why?

Btw, whatever some might think, I’d ask this question about any other MP or party leader.

Take Lowe, for example, I don’t believe he doesn’t get threats against him, he’s says some truly awful stuff.

I’ve also seen some pretty awful comments on here, which some could call “vitriolic” about other party leaders.

MayBee70 Tue 14-Jul-26 15:32:24

LemonJam

I agree with Cossy, and state funded security should only be available for state funded MP role

What proportion of his time does Farage spend on public service MP role for Clacton and what proportion on all his other activities here in the UK and abroad?

Does he worry about security when he's in America supporting pro gun Trump?

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 15:22:51

GrannyGravy13

Casdon

I just heard Ed Davey on the news saying exactly that LemonJam, he was implying that Farage was being economical with the truth in his account of the security available to party leaders, and one assumes he would know.

In the news broadcast that I heard (BBC) they went on to say that Nigel `Farage was meeting with the Home Secretary to discuss security arrangements.

It was Radio 2 I heard, and yes, the newsreader did say that, which prompted the response from Ed Davey. I took it to mean that he didn’t believe Farage’s account of what was previously offered to him, and he hoped that Farage would give an honest account of this meeting. If I were Mahmoud, I’d issue my own statement about the outcome straight after the meeting.

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 15:18:45

Sorry, my post was in response to LemonJam.

Casdon Tue 14-Jul-26 15:18:07

Definitely not, the clue is in the title. This was one of a series of threads, if there was a thread designed for condolences (which I realise there wasn’t), surely it would have been the one, started before this, entitled ‘Ann Widdecombe has died’, where people were expressing their shock at her sudden death and posting their immediate reaction.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 14-Jul-26 15:17:43

Casdon

I just heard Ed Davey on the news saying exactly that LemonJam, he was implying that Farage was being economical with the truth in his account of the security available to party leaders, and one assumes he would know.

In the news broadcast that I heard (BBC) they went on to say that Nigel `Farage was meeting with the Home Secretary to discuss security arrangements.