Gransnet forums

News & politics

500000 trees to be. Planted throughout England

(8 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:59:07

To mitigate climate change.

Trees can reduce the temperature in cities by 4c - making heatwaves more bearable, as well as reducing flood water.
The half noise pollution and suck up air pollution, as well as providing habitat for a wide diversity of wildlife.

Government announcement.

eddiecat78 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:05:45

An excellent idea but I wonder where they will be planted. We are losing a huge amount of greenbelt to housing and if we want to keep producing food we can't afford to lose more farmland.

OldFrill Thu 01-Oct-26 09:14:18

This government notice gives more detail

Local communities to receive £79 million to restore nature - GOV.UK share.google/p1vfizMZzbzsEdFK9

Primrose53 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:19:09

Anybody else remember the “Plant a Tree in 73” scheme? The following year it was “Plant some more in 74”. I had stickers. I feel old now.

fancythat Thu 01-Oct-26 09:20:34

Well I hope they dont plan them around here.
We are awash with them.
And they are sooo tall nowadays.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:22:32

Hopefully these trees will offset the hundreds if not thousands of acres of farmland/green fields which are covered in solar farms.

I am fortunate that we still have green spaces and trees. Mind you our local council planted over a 100 saplings on the edge of a local park, they hadn’t done their due diligence as it’s a flood plain. Every single one died 🤦‍♀️

fancythat Thu 01-Oct-26 09:31:11

plant not plan
or did i mean plan

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 01-Oct-26 09:38:20

What a great idea. My DS was involved in a tree planting initiative on his primary school field forty years ago.
He takes great pride in pointing to these now beautiful mature trees, screening the field from the road, providing shade and birdsong for the children at play, and, of course, helping to mitigate climate change
He went on to.have a career in developing sustainability in building.