Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Greens say they want Israel to be 'replaced' with one state.

(72 Posts)
Betony Sun 04-Oct-26 21:35:13

What do they actually mean by 'replace' the state of Israel (as reported on BBC News tonight)? Tell me, any members of the Green party out there: does your party want to destroy the State of Israel? Is that now part of the Green manifesto? Very troubling if it is.

Rosie51 Mon 05-Oct-26 23:12:27

Only the most (deliberately?) unaware could possibly think that 7th October was a benign date to stage a pro Palestine march. It's an absolute insult to the victims who suffered an outrageous attack. No matter your thoughts and opinions on what has been done since under the command of Netanyahu , they were total innocents. Those gorgeous babies Ariel and Kfir Bibas were kidnapped along with their mother and murdered just one month later. How sick and depraved must you be to think that date is suitable for a pro Palestine march.
I despise and condemn anyone who joins that and thinks they're 'the good ones'. Choose another date, don't display your inhumanity and lack of respect.

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 07:47:53

I agree Oct 7th is not a suitable day: my remarks were aimed at the marches in general, which I support wholeheartedly, and does contain the elements I described.

I think respect demands it:

However imo respect needs to be given to the many different groups that generally attend those marches, except the usual minority of extremists that plague marches of so many kinds.

Galaxy Tue 06-Oct-26 07:57:20

I actually have faith in the British public, the marches aren't representative at all, it hasn't really be tested by the ballot but it will be now.

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 08:01:35

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Galaxy - not a negative remark btw, just dont know. Tested by what ballot?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 06-Oct-26 08:17:11

Perhaps Polanski’s bid for Starmer’s old seat.

I think his chances of winning are zero.

This self indulgent week in Brighton with the Greens examining their own navel whilst completely ignoring the general voter has done them so much harm.

What were they thinking?

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:04:14

What the heck are they doing meddling in all this?

The Greens began as a one-issue party - a much-needed one. There is room for parties that concentrate on one important campaign. They will never form a government but this is not what they are there for. They are there to have a solid grasp of the ecological situation here and worldwide and to be supporting supporting solutions to protect the planet.

Our local Green MP and councillor are appalled by all this. They work tirelessly on the ground supporting green projects and trying to protect nature.

I find Polanski really odd and would not be sad to see the back of him.

Grantanow Tue 06-Oct-26 09:21:22

And they need to kick out the Corbynite entryists ( just as Labour expelled Militant Tendency).

Wyllow3 Tue 06-Oct-26 09:29:45

It's the same here, the Greens are old style mostly (maybe 2 new ones councillor wise). Green voter friends I know are horrified frankly. The councillor who vacated the seat I mentioned above was because of corruption of one kind or another and as I said, it was not too long after Burnham came in, and Labour had a free run.

Well yes Grantanow just so. Labour had to shed itself of the then over influential Momentum Group, sort of Corbyn on a high, appalling lot, lost the election big time. and all ideology, not practicality. Wrote that shopping list of "what we will do' which was economically impossible.

JenniRen Tue 06-Oct-26 11:14:21

Rosie51

Only the most (deliberately?) unaware could possibly think that 7th October was a benign date to stage a pro Palestine march. It's an absolute insult to the victims who suffered an outrageous attack. No matter your thoughts and opinions on what has been done since under the command of Netanyahu , they were total innocents. Those gorgeous babies Ariel and Kfir Bibas were kidnapped along with their mother and murdered just one month later. How sick and depraved must you be to think that date is suitable for a pro Palestine march.
I despise and condemn anyone who joins that and thinks they're 'the good ones'. Choose another date, don't display your inhumanity and lack of respect.

I agree, it is a provocative decision to march on that day which is a day of sorrow and remembrance for Jewish people.

However, I do think that any Quakers, who are supposedly a peace-loving organisation, are extremely naïve to even think of joining any protest marches on that day.

Sarnia Tue 06-Oct-26 11:28:49

Grantanow

I'm never again going to vote Green until they ditch Polanski, go back their ecological roots and rid themselves of anti-Semitism.

Spot on.
A friend of mine has been a Green local councillor for years but stood down before the last elections.
She despairs of Polanski and feels the original ethos of the Green Party has all but disappeared thanks to him.

Galaxy Tue 06-Oct-26 15:10:12

Yes I meant at the by election but also more generally in future elections, I do have faith that this is the beginning of the end for the greens.

Boz Tue 06-Oct-26 15:59:52

Betony

According to this morning's Guardian, the main activist who pushed for the Greens to vote that 'Zionism is Racism' is a person called Salma Yakoub, who was George Galloway's colleague in his Respect party. I always remember thinking at the time that the Respect party had been cynically created by Galloway to elicit Muslim votes. Now Respect no longer exists, it looks as if the Greens are being used for this purpose. I guess we'll have to wait and see if they are successful.

Precisely. Garnering Muslim votes.

Luckygirl3 Tue 06-Oct-26 16:26:33

We are left with no-one to fight for the environment. I should think the founders of the party are pretty sick.

Rosie51 Tue 06-Oct-26 16:52:24

news.met.police.uk/news/conditions-imposed-on-student-march-on-wednesday-7-october-513621

The Met Police have issued a statement about the march. I hope those who decide not to comply with the conditions re punished to the fullest extent. That a second 'gathering' intended to assemble near to Marble Arch adjacent to two synagogues reveals the absolute antisemitism at the root of these. Thankfully the police will not allow the Marble Arch gathering. Shame on all who partake.

Rosie51 Tue 06-Oct-26 16:52:57

*re should be are

Oreo Tue 06-Oct-26 18:39:08

Well said Rosie51
Antisemitism is alive and well and has never gone away.And I am not conflating it with support for Palestine.
Anyone who takes part on the 7th October is an out and out antisemite.

Galaxy Tue 06-Oct-26 18:42:54

But Oreo they are the good guys dont you know.
So sure of their own goodness it has taken them to dark places.

Oreo Tue 06-Oct-26 18:44:34

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions 😉

Rosie51 Tue 06-Oct-26 20:04:24

Oreo

Well said Rosie51
Antisemitism is alive and well and has never gone away.And I am not conflating it with support for Palestine.
Anyone who takes part on the 7th October is an out and out antisemite.

No it hasn't ever gone away ,and I really don't understand antisemitism at all, but it used to be a bit more concealed. The whole Palestine situation seems to have given the go ahead for it to surface and spread. Sad times.

Maremia Tue 06-Oct-26 20:07:43

Wrong date chosen. Respect should be shown for those innocent victims.
But which 'date' would represent what has been done to the people of Gaza?

Rosie51 Tue 06-Oct-26 20:18:33

The chosen date isn't an accident or coincidental. Why choose October 7th? What earthly reason other than blatant antisemitism could be behind it? The people of Gaza can nominate a date to represent their suffering, it's not for us to instruct them.