Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian interference in U.K. politics

(10 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-26 08:20:29

The security services has told Burnham that Russia did indeed - as many of us suspected - interfere in the Brexit debate. Something which every prime minister has chosen to suppress since 2017.

My question is - what else are they meddling with? It clearly may have serious consequences for our economy and go-political standing in the world - just as Brexit did.

Cossy Sun 11-Oct-26 08:27:52

I find it very worrying and suspect Russia has many fingers in many pies, that they shouldn’t!

Including hacking!

I’m appalled that Trump is buying his diesel from them and I hate to think what will happen next.

I’m pretty sure we all know Russia appeared to “meddle” in the US elections.

Wyllow3 Sun 11-Oct-26 08:33:32

Well now he has bought the diesel I hate to say it but who knows what's behind the scenes there. 😡

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-26 08:38:50

We don’t just “know” it is official that Russia interfered in USA election.

With regard to the U.K. I think “follow the money” is the mantra.

Banks was always thought to be a prime suspect, with his constant visits to Moscow, funding Farage’s lavish lifestyle (remember the Chelsea house?)and so it will be proven.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-26 08:49:19

Wyllow3

Well now he has bought the diesel I hate to say it but who knows what's behind the scenes there. 😡

I think that the U.K. and Europe more generally has to look very carefully at our so called alliance with the USA now.

I think that there is little doubt that Putin thinks he has Trump in his pocket, and evidence seems to confirm this.

LemonJam Sun 11-Oct-26 09:05:58

We also knew about Reform Welsh minister convicted for taking Russian bribes over a long standing period. Clear evidence of support to promote Reform UK.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 11-Oct-26 09:16:31

LemonJam

We also knew about Reform Welsh minister convicted for taking Russian bribes over a long standing period. Clear evidence of support to promote Reform UK.

Farage has had constant contact one way or another with Russia. Not something he exactly trumpets from the roof tops but if this was an audit the trail is clear.

Maremia Sun 11-Oct-26 09:37:09

Yes, follow the money.
More difficult when it is cryptocurrency.
Examine more closely the 'Think tanks' and their funding.
Johnson had a suspicious weekend abroad with some Russian party people, that was never properly explained.
Byline Times had an article recently about 'Farage's Putin Problem'.

petra Sun 11-Oct-26 10:05:15

It’s quite amusing when you view the oil debacle from a distance.
Trump starts a war with Iran.
Russia supports Iran
Trump buys oil from Russia who are supporting his enemy both financially and with technology.
Thereby, supporting his enemy 🤦🏼‍♀️

Fallingstar Sun 11-Oct-26 11:30:49

Trump is imperilling Europe and the UK by his association with Putin and his illegal war on Iran. The world is so unstable thanks to him. I no longer look at the US as an ally but an enemy, not just because of Trump, he will go eventually, but because of so many voters who caused this to happen, just proves that it could happen again.