Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyns Momentum

(1000 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 08:49:58

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/20/labour-mp-clive-lewis-apologises-for-get-on-your-knees-comment

This as the Labour Party conference , a momentum fringe meeting.

Corbyn attended Momentum fringe invites but turned down Friends of Israel invite.

Very Donald Trump isn't it?

nigglynellie Sun 22-Oct-17 10:46:58

No more than lots of us expect annie, why aren't we surprised?!!! To think this man could on day be PM! Makes you shudder!!!

durhamjen Sun 22-Oct-17 10:50:51

What's it to do with Corbyn?

Now read the rest of it.

t.co/Gkgb1qbL7D

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 10:52:53

Completely as expected Anniebach. He's pinned his colours well and truly to that mast.

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 11:00:54

It was a joke. Apparently MPs are no longer allowed a sense of humour. Given some of the remarks made in the past by MPs about all sorts of things, one passing remark made during what seems to be a sort of game show seems a bit of an irrelevance. Still I suppose there's nothing else to criticise just now. I and my friends sometimes use the term 'bitch' when one of us does something, or says something the others think too much. Should we stop doing it?

durhamjen Sun 22-Oct-17 11:02:03

Have you actually read Annie's link?

durhamjen Sun 22-Oct-17 11:03:15

Sorry, trisher, that was to Chewy and niggly.

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 11:09:08

I think it smacks of desperation when the only thing you can find to criticise is one remark made at a fringe meeting during a sort of game show. Obviously everything else is OK. Just wondering what you might hear at a meeting of the 1922 committee.
Probably something like this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWggLhkQVW4

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 11:16:18

Yes durham I have read Annie's link how patronising can you be.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 11:17:12

So it was acceptable because it was a joke.

Let's all have a good laugh yes? Ready?

I do wish to apologise unreservedly for my language posters

'On your knees bitch"

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 11:19:49

Had Boris et al said something similar Annie, no doubt it would not have been seen as "humour". Good to see the usual double standards are alive and kicking.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 11:20:08

And there are calls for wolf whistling to be against the law.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 11:22:18

Maybe that was a "joke" to Annie. Difficult to tell these days.....

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 11:26:12

True Chewbacca, I would be ashamed to be a Party member but as long as the party has decent, responsible MP's like Yvette Cooper, Ben Bradshaw, Hilary Benn, I will remain with the party in the hope it will become a party I am proud to belong to.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 11:28:25

we all have our own standards of decency

nigglynellie Sun 22-Oct-17 12:04:15

I'm the first to admit that Boris's so called jokes are embarrassing and downright unacceptable. Just because I'm a Consrvative supporter doesn't mean that I blindly support the party or its MP's without question, query and at times disapproval. Unlike it would appear, Corbyn supporters who at times seem follow him, like a cult, come hell or high water!
Hilary Benn annie, there is a politician I really do admire, for me, he's in the wrong party!!!!!

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 12:27:59

Rick Mayall is not an MP , neither was Bernard Manning and some found his jokes! amusing, matter of taste I suppose.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 12:35:23

Niggly, sorry you can't have Hilary Benn we need him ?

Yes Boris makes daft statements but not crude , surely Trump is more than enough. Seems some can dismiss things as just a joke as Trump did about his comment of grabbing women, just locker room talk. Seems we are to dismiss "on your knees bitch" as the same, how hilarious, NOT b

I have always claimed momentum is a Corbyn cult .

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 12:43:58

Alan B'stard the character Mayall is playing is an MP Annie and it is funny,
Such a pity so many GNers have had a humour by pass. And yes I thought Boris was funny particularly when he did HIGNFY. Now though he's foreign secretary and frankly that's scary! (But still funny when you think that's the best the Tories can do!!)

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 12:49:25

Oh and here's one of Boris's gems about women
*‘Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.*’

Read more: metro.co.uk/2016/06/29/10-important-things-boris-johnson-has-said-about-women-5974038/?ito=cbshare

nigglynellie Sun 22-Oct-17 12:51:14

I'd swap you Boris annie! I can't say fairer than that!! No?! You do surprise me!!!!! grin

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 12:59:54

Trisher if you are happy to compare a labour MP with Boris your choice.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:01:24

Niggly, difficult decision but sorry no, you can't have our Hilary Benn . I would like your Ken Clarke though ?

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:04:37

I didn't bring Boris up Annie Chewbacca did. I' just pointing out that he has said far worse things. And he wasn't joking

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:10:04

Anyway a bitch is a female dog. Any inference you put on the word is entirely up to you. Oh and for those who haven't looked at the film the man addressed was kneeling at the time, so it isn't an instruction just a comment.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion