Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will the remainers admit defeat?

(340 Posts)
Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 12:27:27

I have always said that if there was another referendum the country would vote to leave again. We have voted to leave the EU three times!

2016 Referendum - the country voted to leave
2017 General Election - Hung parliament and a bit of a hiccup due to Theresa May running a poor campaign.
2019 European Election - the country voted to leave when the Brexit Party turned the country Brexit blue.
2019 General Election - the country voted to leave with a massive Conservative majority.

How many more times does the country need to say we want to leave the EU?

BlueBelle Fri 13-Dec-19 12:29:00

Because only a few of you do want to leave 17.000,000 out of 70,000,000 doesn’t add up to a democratic result

Labaik Fri 13-Dec-19 12:34:23

Some people in this country want to leave the EU. A lot of people still believe that doing so will harm it. No one has the right to tell me that I cannot believe that. I am not part of your collective 'we' Chestnut, just as I do not believe every American supports Trump. And congratulations by the way. You have probably brought about the end of the Union...sad

Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 12:38:37

Labaik - You can believe whatever you want, but in a democracy we have had a vote and have to abide by the result. I voted to leave but if remain had won then I would abide by that result.

Welshwife Fri 13-Dec-19 12:40:49

The main gripe apart, from the small majority, is that the whole referendum process was fraudulent - but that has all been swept under the carpet.
I just hope that the effect of leaving the EU will not be as bad as we fear.

Davidhs Fri 13-Dec-19 12:41:25

It’s not a question of admitting defeat, remainers believed that staying in EU was best for the U.K. . There has been a Withdrawl agreement, an election and we are going to leave, regardless of our opinions we will make the best of the new direction.

The negotiating now starts on trade arrangements and regulations, at present we have no idea how that will go, hopefully, with a large majority BJ will be able to get sensible agreements. The extremists in parliament will not be able to hold him to ransom, which is a big step forward.

oldgimmer1 Fri 13-Dec-19 12:43:15

I disagree with you, Bluebelle.

I'm a remainder and also accepted the result back in 2016.

I also think if there were to be another Referendum, we would've voted to leave again.

I compare the Brexit "democracy" argument with the establishment of the Welsh Assembly years ago. The turnout was woefully low, the margin tiny. As tiny as it gets.

No-one seems to be moaning about that being undemocratic, though.

In my opinion at least, democracy about choice. We are lucky to have that choice. People chose to vote, or not, and as they wished but STILL people moan about the result.

Last night many voted on the basis that they want Brexit delivered, with their feet.

grannyticktock Fri 13-Dec-19 12:50:30

Most votes went to anti-Brexit or neutral parties. Only a minority of votes were pro-Brexit. This is why Johnson went for an election rather than a referendum. I know this counts for nothing, but Leavers should have the humility and courtesy to acknowledge that although they are going to get their way, they are almost certainly in a minority.

Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 12:50:50

I just think there has been so much fighting to thwart Brexit from remainers over the last three years, not only in Parliament but everywhere, which is why we were in such a mess and had such a deadlock. The problem has always been that we have a mostly remain parliament and mostly leave voters, so Parliament was not willing to deliver what the people voted for.

Fennel Fri 13-Dec-19 12:51:10

"Last night many voted on the basis that they want Brexit delivered, with their feet."
That what it seems like to me now, oldgimmerl.
Rather than other reasons such as popularity of the leaders.
It could still be not as straightforward as our 'ruler' proposes, even though now he has a good majority in Parl.

aprilrose Fri 13-Dec-19 13:12:38

Well..... "Will the remainers admit defeat?"..... clearly not as they are still trying to make any excuse for the result rather than admit they are the losers and need to respect the views and feelings of the winners ( four times now).

This time though, to quote the PM, remainers need to " Put a sock in the megaphone" The Conservatives won an a brexit ticket. The voters in their constituencies ignored the Labour distractions. Those who wanted to remain, both those who jumped party like Grieve etc. got well and truly trounced and Jo Swinson lost her seat too - she went to battle on the "Stop brext" ticket and now we know what her constituents thought of that along with the others. Liberal Democrats lost a number of seats.

So, now the sun is shining again, as it was on the day after the referendum. Those of us who have been insulted, ignored, told we were old, ignorant, gammon, swivel eyed , uneducated and didnt know what we voted for have won again , so put a sock in it now remainers.

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Dec-19 13:19:27

You are right of course Chestnut but I think it is too early for them to accept that fact.

Some will STILL maintain that leave voters are all raving racists.

I am so grateful that the result went the way it did

Davidhs Fri 13-Dec-19 13:31:22

Well Aprilrose you still don’t know what you voted for because it’s all still to be decided, you have no idea what the final outcome will be.

Nannarose Fri 13-Dec-19 13:38:32

This morning I am admitting defeat in a lot of things that have mattered to me all of my life.

growstuff Fri 13-Dec-19 14:10:18

I accepted "defeat" on the day after the referendum. It doesn't man that I accept that it was a good decision, so I won't be "putting a sock in it", as you so charmingly express it aprilrose.

In fact, with that kind of post I could be persuade that you are indeed all "old, ignorant, gammon, swivel eyed , uneducated and didnt know what we voted for". hmm

lemongrove Fri 13-Dec-19 14:34:52

aprilrose tchgrin

No sour grapes please growstuff ( it’s unbecoming you know) ?

GrandmaMoira Fri 13-Dec-19 14:39:18

Ever since the advisory referendum, Leavers have been crowing over Remainers with their "we won, you lost, get over it" comments and attitudes.
Remainers are still entitled to be very upset about what is happening. They accept what has happened but cannot be forced to be happy about what appears to be a disaster for the future of the country.

Cindersdad Fri 13-Dec-19 14:54:46

All the Brexit polls were based on untruthful propaganda. Wait till Brexit proven undeliverable and other promises are broken.

Boris can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. Sooner or later you will find the people see through your lies and they will not be happy!

Chestnut Fri 13-Dec-19 14:59:58

Moira - there are plenty of people who don't think this is a disaster for the country, and who want to work towards a brighter future. Up until now the remainers have been very vocal in their put-downs towards leavers, calling them ignorant and not knowing what they voted for. Now after three years of arguments and abuse I hope they will stop trying to block Brexit and let it go ahead. When we come out of the dark tunnel they may be pleasantly surprised at how bright the sunshine is!

trisher Fri 13-Dec-19 15:09:05

I do wonder how much of a victory this can be counted when two out of the 4 countries in the Union showed very much that they did not want Brexit. It seems likely that N Ireland will eventually become part of a united Ireland and Scotland will want independence. The result then will not be "Brexit" but some sort of Eng+Wales Exit. So who has won in this?

growstuff Fri 13-Dec-19 15:23:52

Only history will be able to judge trisher.

BTW Did a faint breeze just whistle through the citrus grove? wink

Welshwife Fri 13-Dec-19 15:38:49

I heard a Tory this morning telling us that Boris Johnson will now give the details of his manifesto - once again people voted without knowing the whole story.

Jabberwok Fri 13-Dec-19 15:42:13

Why does the breakup of the union matter so much? If the people of both countries want to go their own way so be it! NI is only part of the UK by default, and hearing in mind they can't even organise a functioning government, they would probably be far better off being absorbed into the Republic. As for Scotland! They were an independent country for centuries before the union of the crown, and the following act of union a hundred and three years later, so presumably they could become an independent country again if that's what they wish. Wales too. Again they also were once an independent country, so, if that's what people want, why not?! I don't see that any problem!

Summerlove Fri 13-Dec-19 15:47:26

No sour grapes please growstuff ( it’s unbecoming you know) ?

Almost as unbecoming as a poor “winner”?

Greta Fri 13-Dec-19 15:53:08

Just heard BJ reiterate all the things he is going to do: invest in NHS, social services, schools etc. I still find it difficult to understand what has stopped us addressing these issues up to now.
People who voted remain do not need to "admit defeat". What an immature notion. They may one day be proven right since Brexit has by no means "been done". I have never heard a single leave voter admit that the 2016 referendum was fraudulent and that in another democratic country it would never have been allowed. It was conducted in such a poor manner, both before the actual vote and after. Not how a democratic nation behaves.

We must now hope that our Prime Minister can prove that he is a man of substance and that he really will change things for the better – that means addressing injusticies and improving life for everybody.