Gransnet forums

News & politics

Over 50’s on lockdown. What next??

(98 Posts)
GrandmaJan Sun 02-Aug-20 13:08:58

I’ve just heard the news that Boris is considering asking over 50’s to stay at home if there’s an increase in the virus. If this does happen how on earth are they going to police it? After almost 5 months of abiding by the rules I’m now absolutely fed up. When we are out it’s the over 50’s who seem to be towing the line whereas the younger generation have been more complacent.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 13:17:00

The average age of those who have died of COVID-19 is 81.

Over 50’s with underlying health conditions might be given a health risk assessment and according to their score be advised as to what is appropriate for them as individuals.

To many rumours circulating in the media at the moment. One of the ministers (Jendrick) has said today that there will not be a UK wide lockdown or closure of pubs nationwide but local lockdowns will happen where there is a peak of infections which in my opinion is sensible.

People’s jobs are important as is their mental health all need to be taken into careful consideration.

Firecracker123 Sun 02-Aug-20 13:22:35

I think its fake news, Boris is 56 he would be on lockdown as well.

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 13:24:01

I think it makes sense. The most vulnerable bring supported to keep themselves safe.
The least vulnerable carrying on and retrieving the economy.

Its not a punishment for older people, its a protection.

Hopefully it wouldn't need to be policed because older people would realise that they are the most vulnerable to severe illness and lasting effects. Not to mention death.

Being indignant and feeling persecuted won't change the nature of Covid, I'm afraid.

lemongrove Sun 02-Aug-20 13:27:09

This isn’t something being brought in right now and in fact may never happen, but the government have a duty to plan ahead for all scenarios.If selfish idiots from all communities in the UK had abided by the rules we would be in a better place now.angry

Sallywally1 Sun 02-Aug-20 13:29:08

And they have still gone ahead with increasing the pension age, so what happens there? Forced to go to work when they were for years planning to retire at 60 they were considered healthy enough, but more at risk from age 50 from Covid! Are we too old, or too young? And will you pay our food bill if we stay at home. If I lose my job at the age of 65 will the government help me. I think I know the answer.

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 13:33:26

Covid doesnt know about the increase in pension age?

ElaineI Sun 02-Aug-20 14:05:05

Total madness and hope it's not introduced in Scotland. Lots of over 60's are looking after grandchildren us included as childminders are not doing it which will be a problem when schools go back. And I'm sure lots of over 50's also do the childcare so how can adult children go back to work with no childcare from anyone!

GrandmaJan Sun 02-Aug-20 14:08:02

Firecracker I never thought about Boris and there’ll be quite a few MP’s in the same situation. I listened to the news again and it’s something they are considering among other things.

TheFrugalPiggy Sun 02-Aug-20 14:14:01

It seems that it would only be the over 50s who have certain health conditions so I'm not worried yet. I'm mid 50s, not overweight and in good health so hopefully I will still be allowed out. confused

jenpax Sun 02-Aug-20 14:22:13

50!! I am 56 and won’t be staying at home any more unless I am self isolating. We have only just broken free of the lock down! my mental health wouldn’t take it!
Plus most of us at 50-66 are still having to work! As someone else pointed out who will pay our bills while we are shut away at home!

Mapleleaf Sun 02-Aug-20 14:26:14

It's all maybes and mights at the moment. Reading the article in The Times, once you get past the blanket, scaremongering headline, is that shielding for some over 50's, with certain health issues might happen if the virus starts to reach high levels again putting us into a second wave. I suppose the Government have to consider all possibilities and scenarios, and try to have some kind of plan of action for any eventualities.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 02-Aug-20 14:28:39

Judging by the younger people out drinking and taking no notice of social distancing I say it should be the 18 to 35 year olds who should be in lockdown or shut the pubs and bars.

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 15:13:19

Firecracker123

I think its fake news, Boris is 56 he would be on lockdown as well.

grin

Will I ever be let out on remand?

Nonnapg Sun 02-Aug-20 15:20:34

And who will teach the children who need to be back in school? 50 is the new 40, or even 30, given how long people have to work these days!

Puzzler61 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:28:32

Barmeyoldbat I understand your frustration but in the main it’s not the 18 - 35 year olds who are suffering badly with Covid even if they get it - AND THEY KNOW THAT!

So should we be glad the Government want us to stay inside and be protected/shielded since we are more vulnerable if we have health conditions that, unfortunately, make us more likely to die as a result of contracting COVID-19.

It’s not fair - but it’s the facts as they seem to be right now,

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:35:46

Puzzler61 I f the government is going to protect those who need protection in the event of a nationwide spike hey are doing their job:

If they failed to protect the vulnerable second time round I can imagine the comments on GN.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:36:10

*hey. - they

Puzzler61 Sun 02-Aug-20 15:44:39

I should think the Government also don’t want to get it wrong twice with not protecting people residing in care homes.

On the first spike the care home residents were going to hospital if they needed to - not being tested for Covid -
being discharged back to care homes - still not tested for Covid
and we know how the virus spread through care homes and their staff like wildfire.
It’s almost too tragic to find the right words,

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 15:52:02

50 isn't the new 40 as far as the virus is concerned.

Age is by far the biggest risk factor.

How long you have to work under normal circumstances has nothing to do with your vulnerability to Covid.

Is that really too hard to grasp?

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 16:13:18

It would be a good thing if it meant that over 50s with underlying health issues wouldn't be forced back to work and couldn't be sacked if they refuse to do so.

People need more protection not being thrown to the wolves to take their chances.

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 16:14:48

I am still of working age and would be extremely reluctant to return to work, as I know that schools won't be able to provide social distancing. I'm very glad I don't have to make that decision.

growstuff Sun 02-Aug-20 16:20:16

Nonnapg

And who will teach the children who need to be back in school? 50 is the new 40, or even 30, given how long people have to work these days!

So is it OK for teachers in high risk groups to work and put themselves at risk?

vegansrock Sun 02-Aug-20 16:25:34

They couldn’t enforce it, it could be another one of the woolly pieces of “advice”to make it look like they are doing something, and so they can blame the victims if the figures go up again.

Illte Sun 02-Aug-20 17:27:22

vegansrock, I don't think the statistics of serious illness and death amongst the older population are "woolly". They are confirmed worldwide.

So advice based on those statistics would be sensible don't you think?

I agree unenforceable. Too much to hope that people can make decisions for their own good, even if they don't care about anyone else.